Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA P55 UD6 ram issues.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA P55 UD6 ram issues.

Please clarify, physical or numerical. HAHA, sorry

It should boot with a stick in slot 1 or 3 (Numerical) / 2 or 4 physical. Is this with either set the same result?

Errr so it boots from 2 physical and 1 numerical.

And yes, same result regardless of combination used.

A single stick would not boot from any except 2 physical/1 numerical.

Wow, in the years developing this hardware, surely a little simplicity would not have gone astray. Haha

Well it very well could be normal due to the BIOS immaturity that slot 4 physical wont boot by itself.

It should boot however and the normal slots to use for 2 sticks would be 2+4 physical, if this fails and 4 fails alone it very well could mean you have a faulty slot 4.

Ok!

I've just torn it apart once again.

I once again tried every combination of RAM, single, double, quadruple etc.

No luck getting slots 3 & 4 physical to work.

I also removed my video card, the radeon 5850, and ran the system with a lesser radeon 9600. Admittedly I believe the 9600 runs on about as much power as the 5850 when idling, so it was probably a pointless test.

Now, I also removed and inspected both the cpu and the pins on the board..The cpu seemed to be fine, no burn marks etc. However, approximately 50% of the pins of the board appeared to be bent, in perfect synchronisation I might add, in a specific way, while the other 50% appeared to be bent in a different direction.

I noted an audible erm....I wouldn't say grind, it sounded like the pins compressing when I pulled down the lever over the cpu.

Please post a few high resolution images of that if you don't mind just so I can be sure.

They should all be bent actually, but just all in the same manner and not funky or out of alignment is all. They may go in different ways as well. If you are not sure go ahead and post some pics and I will let you know.

I do know there is plenty of images of P55 sockets here, so have a look before you get under the hood again if you already have your CPU back installed. You should be able to see from some of these images if your socket pins looked normal or not.
    LOTES socket on Gigabyte P55A, only the bracket. - Page 2 - XtremeSystems Forums

And TONS here
    P55-UD6 socket burn - XtremeSystems Forums

Sorry to have to link you to such a thread, ignore the issue presented. It was just the best one I could think of with many P55 socket images

So again 3+4 physical should only work with all slot populated possibly, you are saying you cannot get this to work correct with all slots filled? And you cannot get 2+4 physical to work with 2 sticks only?

Well fellas, Im back with a new issue.

I got ahold of some Gskill Tridents, tri channel kit, F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD. Got the 200/2000 and beyond. I can run the ram at 2100 in memtest, but in windows I would get core failures.

Now I have to assume much over a 200 BLCK stresses the uncore too much so I am happy with the 2000mhz I currently have, but this leads me to my issue.

I ran over to the bios section and flashed to the new beta bios, to see if it loved me a bit more :). Well it didn't. I flashed via Qflash and all was well, well sort of. I got into windows on the new beta, and I ran into all but 2 of my USB ports were disfunctional. I'd install a USB device, the light would flash, then the device goes dead.

The same day, I was resetting my OC and went to boot into windows and got a "bios is corrupt message, watched a dos screen swap my bios to the default from the second chip.

QUESTIONS:
    Can I reflash the original chip, or is it toast now?
    Is there any chance the uncore will ever have changing abilities?

Try disabling "QuickBoot" in the BIOS, this is a new feature and has been leading to random issues here lately. Not sure if this is the cause of your USB issue, but I woudl start there.

Yes, you can reflash any BIOS you like, when that happens all it does it load a copy of the backup BIOS onto the MAIN BIOS chip so the system can start.

Uncore... Ya that really sucks that Intel does not allow an increase on this for P55, as it could really help! I know on X58 when I push high memory clocks a 2x +2 uncore setting helps out a lot. I do not think Intel will change this, and I don't think board manufacturers can with the BIOS either as I do believe this is something Intel locks inside the chips.

For 1156 do you know if maybe the Extreme CPU's allow this to increase manually or not? Not sure myself as I have not even used P55, let alone an extreme CPU for it, but I know this is something you could likely get your hands on if those do allow uncore to be changed.

I see some HUGH memory clocks being pushed at XS Forums with P55 boards, have you looked around there to see what settings people are using for 2100+? I know a lot of them are using Extreme memory temps though, but I do believe many users push 2200 without going extreme. High Vdimm and Uncore, I know that though, same for X58

Will do the "quickboot setting on my next flash, cheers for that one.

Gonna go get a new copy of the bios and try again:)

That really blows about the uncore, I just wonder if I got a crappy sample of an i5 750.

AFAIK there is only the i5 750 and i7 860/870 chips. Havent heard anything on extreme chips yet.

Memory doesnt seem to be my issue now. I have run 2100 at cas8 on these with 1.68V...passes multiple runs of the DOS version of memtest86+ version 4.0
    Getting it to run any sort of stressing over 200 BLCK seems to fail a core, no matter the multi. If I run 200 with turbo on, 4.2GHz is stable, but trying 210 with a lower multi fails, again the ram tests fine, just cant get stable in windows. I have tried TONS of voltage everywhere systematically and it doesnt seem to respond.

I'll get the new bios running correctly first, then see if it can help my situation. Only change I saw was Dynamivc core Voltage "DVID" (for i7 chips....at least I think that is what I saw, its greyed out). Is there an uncore voltage for i5's as I cant seem to find it labeled as such.
    Last edited by chad_sebring; 12-11-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Well as you know ES (if that is what you have) can sometimes be much worse than a retail CPU these days. But ya all of them have locked Uncore, ES or Retail.

The Extreme ones are the only ones I am not sure about, they may be unlocked but I just have not heard or seen any comments on that one yet, have you? If someone will let you use a Extreme one then you could find out, maybe actually Cam would know have you asked him? Surely if he does not have one he could at least find someone who does and check on the uncore options for you.

Ohh, sorry I reply as I read, and I really have just overlooked 1156 myself lately so I was not aware there was not a extreme version! You are right, there is no Extreme ones out yet! Very odd, maybe they will not be releasing any then since you know if they were going to they would have already to make $$

Some CPU's just cannot do high Bclk without extreme voltages, or Extreme temps. 210 should be easy I would think though, but of course maybe your CPU is just one that does not like high bclks, it happens as we all know. One tip I can give you that may help, is try using Odd value CPU multi's, some just will not work stable at all using Even ones.

I don't think there is a specific uncore voltage, at least not on any P55 boards I have helped with (GA). You did try more PCH right, like 1.15-1.3? Normally though it is high QPI/Vtt that is needed, maybe 1.4-1.6 depending on the CPU itself and settings in use.

You will for sure be able to clock much higher with the CPU under Dry Ice or Ln2, so if you have either available and want to play for high clocks this would be your best bet. I was able to get 240 Bclk on Dry Ice with X58, where the same setup would only do 226-228 on water

I have played with the PCH voltage, but to be honest I dont think I went near 1.3v. I finally got 4.2GHz prime stable for about 4.5hours, so now Im going to try 4.2 with a higher BLCK and and lower multi to see if I can make it all work in harmony. Thanks for all the help Lsdme, you are a pleasure to gain information from:D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information