Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS3L Memory Problems

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: EP45-DS3L Memory Problems

Not excluding any of the possibilities, but taking the sound card out is simple and easy to do.

Ok, Memset is dumped into this post. Im going to take the X-Fi out , should I uninstall the drivers first or just pull the card?
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Corsair CM2X2048-6400C4DHX
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Cooler
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata boot drive
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    X-Fi Fatality Champion soundcard
    Lian Li Full Tower Case
    Onkyo TX SR 606 7.1 AV Amp
    Sony 46" KDL46x2000 1080p TV

Yes I think it would be a good idea to uninstall the driver, delete it comletely if it's an option, before removing the card.

Ok, I took the X-Fi out (didn't uninstall the drivers) and it made no difference, games still have these odd 1 second hitches every 30-60 seconds.

I did go into Ati Overdrive and underclocked my 4870x2, changed the GPU clock from 750 to 702 and the Memory Clock from 900 to 820. This made things a little better, I now get a hitch every couple of minutes or so.

Oh, the BIOS version of the motherboard is F10.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case

You said the problem persists with older card too, was the same driver used for both?
    I really know very little about graphics cards, just trying to figure where the problem might be.
    I am assuming the X800 is much less demanding card, as for power consumprion and data transfer.
    This problem only observed with intensive graphics use or during normal use also?

I see there is a new beta BIOS version(no changes listed), it is up to you if you decide to try it or not. Don't use @BIOS if you decide to flashe it, refer to http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    One more thing to try, with or without flashin new BIOS, is a long BIOS clear described also in the secong post of the above link, maybe an overnight clear.

Running stress/stability tests may be also a good idea, even if just to exclude (or prove) memory problems. 6+ passes of memtest86+ and/or 6+ hours of Prime95 blend stress.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

"You said the problem persists with older card too, was the same driver used for both?"

Yes. Im not convinced that the driver builds for the different cards are in fact any different from each other. I suppose I could try the proper X800 series driver if all else fails.

"I am assuming the X800 is much less demanding card, as for power consumprion and data transfer."

Yes, much less.

"This problem only observed with intensive graphics use or during normal use also?"

The problem only seems to happen during intensive graphics use, i.e. games. It doesn't happen straight away in games, it takes 3-4 minutes of play before the hitching starts. Its not heat thats causing it. I think its a memory related issue, the board will not work with 4 sticks of memory, but will work with 2 and I'm beginning to suspect that its the motherboard thats at fault.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    "You said the problem persists with older card too, was the same driver used for both?"

Yes. Im not convinced that the driver builds for the different cards are in fact any different from each other. I suppose I could try the proper X800 series driver if all else fails.
    I was aiming at a possible driver issue, not to say that it is not suitable for the X800.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggletooth
    "This problem only observed with intensive graphics use or during normal use also?"

The problem only seems to happen during intensive graphics use, i.e. games. It doesn't happen straight away in games, it takes 3-4 minutes of play before the hitching starts. Its not heat thats causing it. I think its a memory related issue, the board will not work with 4 sticks of memory, but will work with 2 and I'm beginning to suspect that its the motherboard thats at fault.
    It's quite common that more than 2 sticks of ram rquire some settings adjusments, though there may be a problem with the board and certain slots, more testings required.
    How are the GPU temperatures while gaming?

As the same video card (Radeon 4870x2) has been in the machine under 3 different OS installs in the last 8 months and has had numerous different driver versions installed in that time, I think we can safely rule out video drivers unless I am the unluckiest person on the planet. :)

Odd though that the EP35-DS3P happily took 4 sticks of RAM and the EP45-DS3L won't accept the same 4 sticks. I wouldn't have thought that the two boards were that different. Not hard proof that its the motherboard I'll grant you that, but nonetheless it does look suspicious.

GPU temps are normal, I even ran the fan override and set it to max in case of inaccurate temp readings but all was ok.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case

I guess if stability/stress tests pass it'll be safe to blame it on the board then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information