Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS3L Memory Problems

Default Re: EP45-DS3L Memory Problems

I'm gonna run stress tests before ripping the pc to pieces I think. It just seems so odd, most games show this hitching but not all. I'll run some tests and then decide from there I think. Thanks for help/tips everyone.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Corsair CM2X2048-6400C4DHX
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Cooler
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata boot drive
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    X-Fi Fatality Champion soundcard
    Lian Li Full Tower Case
    Onkyo TX SR 606 7.1 AV Amp
    Sony 46" KDL46x2000 1080p TV

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya the drivers are all the same for the most part, like if you choose 3800 series it is the same you get if you choose 4800 series.

Your comment about not working with 4GB but does with 2GB makes me think you need some settings adjusted. Can you post me your current full settings, well what you would use if you tried to use 4GB?

OK, the PC as it stands has 2 x 2gb sticks in it. As part of the efforts to fix the hitching/pauses I took that memory out and put the memory from my other PC (similar motherboard, its an EP35-DS3P). That memory is 4GB but on 4 sticks, all identical. When I put the 4 sticks in, it wont boot, I just get a lot of fast beeps, then it switches itself off and tries again. This will go on in an endless loop if I let it. If I take the two sticks out of the red slots, it boots but games still hitch.

I find it odd that the EP35 board will happily run 4 sticks with no messing around in BIOS and the EP45 won't. The only parts of the PC that I haven't changed (as part of testing) are the motherboard and the CPU and right now I'm of a mind to just buy a new motherboard and see if that fixes the problem. Nearly every game I run will hitch/pause briefly every 30-60 seconds and I'm about done with it now.

Thanks for all the advice, but I'm pretty sure that this is a motherboard problem.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case

P45 is a very tricky chipset. The cause of your issue with 2 vs 4 sticks is voltages and settings. Mainly for now I can say for sure one setting causes the many multiple fast beeps, this is tRD (Static tRead Value) set to low. So using two sticks go into the BIOS and manually set this to 9 for now, then save and apply/reboot and then shut down after it applies and reboots back to the BIOS. Then put in your other set of sticks and you should have no issues booting up, unless of course voltages are off, which you can increase when you set tRD. Set MCH 1.20-1.24 and set your ram voltage, that should do it.

Why did you not post your settings? From your comments I will assume you may be using All or mostly all Auto settings. This would be the cause of issues, especially during gaming. This can easily be resolved by using correct settings. I am just trying to save you from spending money on a new board when yo don't need to.

If you have not already bought a new board, please fill out a template with your current settings and full specs and I will advise back. If you want 2GB or 4GB either I can help with just let me know.

Lsdmeasap, thanks for the advice. I'm at my wits end with this PC and am pretty much stuck. As far as the RAM is concerned, I don't want to populate the board with 4 sticks, I was just testing the memory from my work PC in my other PC (the EP45 one) to see if the problems are being caused by faulty RAM. I have temporarily swapped out as many components as possible in an attempt to find the culprit (one at a time), but have had no luck.

I'm using standard ram timings. I've altered the voltages as suggested earlier in the thread , but things are no different. If you have a basic guide as to how to set the RAM timings and voltage manually for my specific memory, I'll give it a go.

Right now, the only components I haven't changed are the CPU, motherboard and power supply.

I'll jot down the settings in BIOS and post them later.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case

Yes, please do let me know your current settings that are failing when you get a chance. Since we discussed a lot of various hardware here, please also specify what ram, how much and a link to the set you will be using then so I am sure of what is what.

I Suppose also clarify which board, bios and CPU too so I am sure. In the template there is a section for all of that, I just wanted to ask again here so you are sure I needed know again.

Sorry, what template are we talking about here? My specs are in my sig.

The current settings aren't failing as such, the pc just hitches/pauses in games for like 1 second every 30-60 seconds.

BIOS is F10

I guess the thread title is now a little misleading , it should really be something like "Weird hitching/pausing on EP45-DS3L based PC".
    Last edited by Snaggletooth; 11-23-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case

Sorry, I have a link in my signature for all boards BIOS Templates. So you can easily give me your full exact settings and specs. This link, also in my signature >>
    ~ * BIOS Templates (Give Us Your Settings Please) * ~

LSD check your messages, I've posted the BIOS info to you.
    EP45-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    Ati Radeon 4870x2
    1 x 160 GB Sata
    1 x 500 gb Sata 2 drive
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li Full Tower Case