Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stable 6GB at 1866MHz with GA-EX58-UD5

Default Re: Stable 6GB at 1866MHz with GA-EX58-UD5

Hi there again and please excuse my long absence.

The reason for it is that unfortunately the above settings did not work. Either it did not boot, or it froze-restarted the minute windows loaded. I think the best try I did was being able to start the stress test which lasted only a few seconds.

So I finally decided to stop bothering and left the mem at 1200 which is working fine till today. Again sorry for not reporting back to you but I was quite frustrated and that's why I made the decision to leave back everything related.

What I noticed* though is that gigabyte released a new BIOS version 2 days ago, which has "Enhanced Memory capability" in its description. That got me intrigued of course and so I thought I'd make a few more tries. So I will try the above settings again and this time I will report back.

Thank you once again for your support.

*The reason I looked for a new BIOS is that yesterday for the first time I heard squealing sounds from my rig, when loading a specific game (oh yet another problem).

I've read quite a few things in the past about this strange sound (aka squeal of death) and I thought I was a lucky one. Well, I guess my luck run out, so that's another thing to look for.

I haven't opened the case yet to try and find out from where exactly the squealing comes from (mobo, PSU, GPU, or a combination). But it is definitely graphics related and not necessarily when on load (happens in in-game menu also).

If you happen to have an opinion about that too, I would appreciate it a lot.
    GIGABYTE - GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) F10 / Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor / RAM - OCZ3P1866C9LV6GK / GIGABYTE - 9800gtx+ - GV-N98XPZL-1GH / Heroichi 750W Cougar 80plus / Windows 7, 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusGr View Post
    Hi there again and please excuse my long absence.

The reason for it is that unfortunately the above settings did not work. Either it did not boot, or it froze-restarted the minute windows loaded. I think the best try I did was being able to start the stress test which lasted only a few seconds.

So I finally decided to stop bothering and left the mem at 1200 which is working fine till today. Again sorry for not reporting back to you but I was quite frustrated and that's why I made the decision to leave back everything related.

What I noticed* though is that gigabyte released a new BIOS version 2 days ago, which has "Enhanced Memory capability" in its description. That got me intrigued of course and so I thought I'd make a few more tries. So I will try the above settings again and this time I will report back.

Thank you once again for your support.

*The reason I looked for a new BIOS is that yesterday for the first time I heard squealing sounds from my rig, when loading a specific game (oh yet another problem).

I've read quite a few things in the past about this strange sound (aka squeal of death) and I thought I was a lucky one. Well, I guess my luck run out, so that's another thing to look for.

I haven't opened the case yet to try and find out from where exactly the squealing comes from (mobo, PSU, GPU, or a combination). But it is definitely graphics related and not necessarily when on load (happens in in-game menu also).

If you happen to have an opinion about that too, I would appreciate it a lot.
    its not squeal of death most board do this,go in bios and disable c1e in advanced cpu features,and set balanced power profile in windows power saving......it will do the same job as having c1e enabled but without the squeal
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Thank you warren300, but unfortunately c1e is already disabled and the problem continues.

About the mem thing now, looks like the new bios made a difference. With the previous suggested settings as a guide, I was almost stable at 1700 (passed the stress test, but had a random reboot later on) and I'm 100% stable at 1600 for a day (always at 3.2). If this holds, I'm gonna try 1700 again while raising the volts a little bit more. I believe that the 1800 are close!
    GIGABYTE - GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) F10 / Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor / RAM - OCZ3P1866C9LV6GK / GIGABYTE - 9800gtx+ - GV-N98XPZL-1GH / Heroichi 750W Cougar 80plus / Windows 7, 64bit

OK. Time for an update and probably the last one on this subject.

After all those days testing various settings the conclusion is that, in my case at least, the new BIOS did make a change but it still is a no go. What I mean is that I managed to run at 1600 or even 1700 quite stable, but the catch is at "quite". At 1600 my best try was a reboot every 3 to 4 days. Not much trouble but it is quite annoying depending when it will hit. So once again back at 1200 where things are rock stable so far (knocks wood).

I guess those sticks just won't run at 1600 or more with this mobo, at least not with normal settings and voltages. I can't afford to try extreme voltages as I only have the stock cooler.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. I sure did get more support here than the official OCZ forum where I also posted my problem a long long time ago.

Till later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information