Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DQ6;Q6600 - OC/Memory Problem

Default GA-X48-DQ6;Q6600 - OC/Memory Problem

Hello all, I'm newly registered on here so thought I'd give you all a greets.
    I've visited the site in the past a couple of times and it has some amazing and useful advice but unfortunately neither that has helped me figure out my problem.

Here's the story: I have a GA-X48-DQ6 with a Q6600 G0 SLACR for a year now, I've just bought me a nice Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 Scythe 1200 Slipstream fans on it, and hoping to do some OC'ing on this baby.

The first thing I'm trying to do is see how high I can take the FSB, and this is where I'm running into problems, I can get to 440 MHz, boot, and it'll freeze on anything demanding (forget Prime). I'm writing now at 420 MHz and it seems stable. Most of the time at 450 MHz it simply won't even post, but, here's the interesting part, I made it into Windows at 450MHz once, but I was a tard and didn't remember the settings, I just know I had the memory on auto, so I'm guessing it must be some timing issue. I haven't been able to replicate it since then, but at least I know it's not an FSB wall. So I need some advice on what memory settings to try (or how to loosen them; subtimings included) so I can get further.

The memory is 2x2 GB Mushkin 991599 DDR2-1066 PC-8500 rated at 2.1V, 5-5-5-15@1066. While testing the FSB I have the RAM at a 1:1 ratio which means it runs at 900 MHz, and I'm not sure how to set the timings/subtimings for it. I have found appropriate subtimings on the mushkin forum, but obviously these are too tight for testing purposes, they go like this:

ACT-ACT delay: 4
    RW to READ delay:5
    WRITE to PRECHARGE delay:6
    REFRESH to ACT delay: 60
    READ to PRECHARGE delay: 6
    Static tRead Value: 9
    Static tRead Phase: AUTO

And I can't boot 450 MHz with them.

I've tried upping the MCH and FSB but no dice, really seems like a timing issue.

I've also already tried OC'ing the processor and I can get 3.2 GHz only on a really high voltage (about 1.4) but I didn't try raising the other voltages then. I'd just like to sort out the FSB first. Also, are these temps OK for the megahalems? Taken at 2520 MHz right now, idle:

EVEREST:
    CPU 26
    Core 1 21
    Core 2 16
    Core 3 15
    Core 4 21

CoreTemp:
    Core 1 31
    Core 2 26
    Core 3 26
    Core 4 32

So who's crazy here? Which are the right temps The only thing I notice the middle two cores are much lower in temperature is this normal? I made sure the cooler sat down evenly and is not hanging, bent or anything so I don't know why this is happening.

And of course, thanks in advance!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-X48-DQ6;Q6600 - OC/Memory Problem

What memory multiplier are you using?
    At high FSB other settings come into play, CPU/MCH Clock Skew and GTL Reference.
    You may need to press CTrl+F1 at main BIOS screen to see them.
    Please post full settings using the template in this post.
    Also follow steps 1-4 in this post, EasyTune screen capture is not needed.

Try RealTemp and see which temps it shows. Sensors are very inaccurate at low temps and may also need calibration, don't worry about idle temps.

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [6] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[N/A]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00D]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time____________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________5
    Write to Precharge Delay_________6
    Refresh to ACT Delay____________60 
    Read to Precharge Delay__________6
    Static tRead Value_______________9
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.25V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.0V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.0V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.10V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.32500V]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    Realtemp shows 31 32 26 27, on full load in Prime95 these temps go up to 40 40 38 37.

RAM: 991599 - 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 Blackline (Module)

Memory timings looks alright, Static tRead Value need to be increased for higher FSB, set it to 11 or higher untill you are set on FSB.
    Check PC Health to see that ram gets enough voltage.
    More FSB and MCH OverVoltage may be needed.
    There is plenty to go with Vcore, mac for the CPU is 1.5v. Only slight CPU OC with 6 ratio but some more may be needed (unless you know already this voltage is good for the CPU frequency).

Incerase FSB graduately, untill you having stress errors or cannot boot, try either (but not both at the same time) Clock Skews 50-100.

Have you tried the Ctrl+F1 in main BIOS screen? The screen should flash once and in MIT you should have 2 more GTL Reference settings.

Seems to me that RealTemp first 2 readings are equal to CoreTemp cores 0 & 2, and last 2 equal to 1 & 3, is that correct?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, I've set the static tRead value to 11 as suggested and I made it into windows at 450 MHz now, not sure if that did the trick as I also set my memory to 1T yesterday, but I think that would only decrease stability.
    All other settings remain unchanged.

RAM gets 2.06V at +0.25V in BIOS, if I set it to +0.30 (which is already in purple) it gets about 2.13V which is overshooting the 2.1V so I figured I'd keep it lower.

What are the maximum safe BIOS values for FSB and G(MCH) overvolting?
    I'm going to try shoot higher with the FSB to see where I top out, if it fails at 460 MHz what settings should I change further? Loosen more static tRead value or bump the voltages up a bit?

On a side note this wasn't really a CPU OC, the only reason it's running at 2500 MHz is I kept the multiplier down to avoid any issues that might be caused from a too high CPU frequency as I really want to determine the max FSB first.

As for the temps the way it is now I'd say that:

RealTemp 1st value = Core Temp Core 0
    RealTemp 2nd Value = Core Temp Core 3
    RealTemp 3rd Value = Core Temp Core 2
    RealTemp 4th Value = Core Temp Core 1

I'll try playing with the settings you mentioned a bit to see if I can get 460 MHz as I couldn't last time.
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 G0 @2.8 GHz / Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler (2x Scythe Slipstream 1200)
    MUSHKIN XP Series 991599 4 GB (2GB + 2GB) PC-8500
    SAMSUNG HD103UJ Spinpoint F1 1000 GB / Western Digital WD1600JS-55MHB0 Caviar 160GB
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 2 GB GDDR5 (750/900MHz)@PCI-E 2.0 x16, COOLER: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 4870X2
    Windows XP Professional
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6, iX48(Bearlake) + iCH9R, F8D bios
    Corsair TX750W PSU

OK here's what I found out. While trying to get 460 MHz and couldn't, I tried reverting to 450 MHz and that didn't work either. I was trying settings for 20 minutes and I figured out what the problem is, you won't believe this:
    If the PCI-E frequency is manually set at 100 MHz, the system won't boot!
    If I set it at auto, it works... How does that make sense? Do I need more frequency on the PCI-E? Cause if I set it at auto it probably gives it more since it won't boot at 100...really weird, you'd think it would be the voltage or memory timings, but it isn't...Hmm. What to do ?
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 G0 @2.8 GHz / Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler (2x Scythe Slipstream 1200)
    SAMSUNG HD103UJ Spinpoint F1 1000 GB / Western Digital WD1600JS-55MHB0 Caviar 160GB
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 2 GB GDDR5 (750/900MHz)@PCI-E 2.0 x16, COOLER: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 4870X2
    Windows XP Professional
    Corsair TX750W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by WrxSTI View Post
    What are the maximum safe BIOS values for FSB and G(MCH) overvolting?
    I think +0.2 MCH and +0.15 FSB should be safe, maybe a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxSTI
    I'm going to try shoot higher with the FSB to see where I top out, if it fails at 460 MHz what settings should I change further? Loosen more static tRead value or bump the voltages up a bit?
    Loosening Static tRead will do no harm, I'd leave Command Rate alone for now.
    Likely more voltages, and probably the GTL References and/or Clock Skews at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxSTI
    On a side note this wasn't really a CPU OC, the only reason it's running at 2500 MHz is I kept the multiplier down to avoid any issues that might be caused from a too high CPU frequency as I really want to determine the max FSB first.
    I realized you are looking for max FSB, I just mentioned Vcore because at 450 it is already 2.7GHz and might need more Vcore, just to rule it out as the cause of any problems.
    I've seen posts about gettin as high as 500+ with Q6600 G0 and P35 I think it was.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxSTI View Post
    OK here's what I found out. While trying to get 460 MHz and couldn't, I tried reverting to 450 MHz and that didn't work either. I was trying settings for 20 minutes and I figured out what the problem is, you won't believe this:
    If the PCI-E frequency is manually set at 100 MHz, the system won't boot!
    If I set it at auto, it works... How does that make sense? Do I need more frequency on the PCI-E? Cause if I set it at auto it probably gives it more since it won't boot at 100...really weird, you'd think it would be the voltage or memory timings, but it isn't...Hmm. What to do ?
    Check EasyTune for it's target frequency, is it still 100?

Yes, I'm at 450 MHz in Windows now with it set on auto and it reports it as 100 MHz, so why doesn't it work when -I- set it at 100 MHz?
    Is there any other utility which can read the PCI-E frequency?

Oh by the way, I ran 2.8 GHz on 1.28750V for a few months stable so Vcore is nothing to worry about.
    Windows XP Professional
    Corsair TX750W PSU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information