Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: FIX the S3,& BIOS C.I.A.2

Question FIX the S3,& BIOS C.I.A.2

As stated below I am runnng a EX58-UD5.
    I have it setup to be a decent overclocker tested temps with the swiss Gelid silent spirit cooler and many fans.
    650 watts for system and a power booster with 2 +12v 25 amp rails for the HD 4870x2. Total 900 watts. 250 from the booster which augments the original PSU.

I was learning to get a good overclock but the S3 was always causing a reboot and my System would intermittently hang.

I tried all Video drivers 9.8 to 9.11 catalyst , different BIOS-flashed from floppy. And tried every power management BIOS setting I could think to fix the problem.

Finally I found out the culprit the damn most simple problem for S3 a picky USB device. I thought about it I didn't troubleshoot the USB devices-This case a microsoft wireless optical desktop. I remove the devices (mouse, keyboard and drivers) then BOOM S3 sleep and total gaming bliss with prolonged stable gaming under DX10-well its Vista Home prem. SP2 with the DX 11 platform update.

I am Using Catalyst 9.8 because it is the only one that holds perfect performance in all the games I play and f5 BIOS, because they work.

I screwed with so much settings until I figured the simplest fix-Damn MS Vista certified optical destop my A$$ Also, I installed a warning speaker and it caused S3 to reboot too?? It beeped and booted fine positive side plugged in right everything but, sleep-no reboot. unplugged it. S3 sleep was perfect, huh? anyone got any idea for this one? did I miss a BIOS setting to prevent this. I like an audible confirm in case I don't see the LED when a boot error isn't clearly evident.

Moral is S3 is finnicky and if you can't S3 your rig it isn't quite there, at least the things that cause S3 issues seem to bug other proper operating equipment. For me anyway

Now I am going with if it aint brok don't fix it. BUT-I do want to bring it up to 3.4-3.6 on the CPU I still have the temp head room

Has anyone used the BIOS version of C.I.A. 2 -I won't use any windows based OC utilities for CPU OC, so I was wondering about the C.I.A.2 in the BIOS does it make pulling some free speed easy or should I just finish my homework. I think I got everything except the RAM timing and voltage adjustments. any comments appreciated.

I don't want to ---> you know?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PROTOFECT-
    Graphics Machine
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 ( f12 bios )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core i7 Bloomfield 940 (Merom-CO step.) 2.93Ghz @ 3.68
    CPU
    settings w/ CPU Multi- x22/BClock- 166Mhz/ QPI Clock- x36
    CPU Cooler- CM-Hyper 212 PLUS (Dual Fan)
    Thermal Interface-Artic Silver MATRIX
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6GB Corsair XMS-3 (tri Channel 2Gb per) (9-9-9-23 @1328Mhz)
    Sapphire Radeon HD6970 (2GB) (Cayman XT)@940Mhz-GPU/@1425Mhz-MEM/Cat. 11.7
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870x2 (2GB) (Spartan R700) 2nd Option Backup
    640 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (Sys)
    750 GB Seagate Barrracuda ES (Storage)
    250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA (Utility)
    1000 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (Archive)
    Antec 650 watt TP3 rev.2.0 Tri Power Trio PSU
    LG Super Multi drive-Sec.disc (burns all but B-ray)
    Antec 300 Case-MID Tower
    OS-Windows 7 SP1- Build 7601
    Case Cooling:
    Antec Fans
    (2) 120mm red led front intake fan-
    (1) 120mm tri-light side(PCI-xpress-VGA) intake fan
    (1) top 140mm red led exhaust fan
    (1) 120mm tri-light rear exhast fan (all 3 speed)

Default Re: FIX the S3,& BIOS C.I.A.2

dont bother with c.i.a.2 it will cause more crashes than its worth,do all overclocking in the bios,set ram timings manually to rated timings and speed and voltage
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, do all your overclocking with the BIOS manually.

Thanks for posting your findings on S3, you are right it is a tricky thing to keep stable and resume from. I have yet to see a keyboard/mouse cause issues but I do believe you. Case speaker I have never heard to cause issues either, very odd

Did you try using them and S3, but disable USB Legacy Support in the BIOS? Sometimes this helps, but you would need to re-enable it anytime if you needed to use DOS Based USB Such as Qflash via USB

Thank you for the recommendations. I was pretty positive I should always do any overclocking manually via the BIOS. I like the AWARD BIOS that Gigabyte uses. I just thought since the CIA 2 was in the BIOS as well it could be feasable. I was curious, but I want a straight BIOS OC for sure settings and max stability. Thanks for the affirmation. IT just seems WRONG to do any OC'ing in the Windows environment, ecspecially BIOS flashes. I installed a floppy just for this purpose-upgrading BIOS. I know a USB key is probably best but I always use new disks and check the file before I q-flash.

LSDMEASAP- Thanks for the belief, yes it is wierd that is why I put it out there in case it may help someone. I think it was just that Vista hated that particular wireless keyboard/mouse setup??? Ever since then my Protofect (my rig) has been so good and sweet to me, even in Crysis it was having a wierd menu problem where the mouse would select options many pixels off of where the buttons were. ODD stuff in alot of areas. It would even intermittently lock Sins of a Solar Empire and Dragon Age Origins. All stopped once I went with another key and pointer. ???

I don't remember trying to disable USB Legacy Support in the BIOS,but I am so happy with my usb hardwired keyboard and mouse I am just staying with it. But if I run into it again when I buy my new gaming mouse and keyboard (prob. a Gigabyte- I think that won't give me trouble) I will remember your advice.

This MS wireless rig was messy. Just to warn some people may have this problem with this motherboard GA-EX58-UD5 and this set- Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000 --I got it on sale and liked it for a wireless High definition mouse system-1000dpi, 6000 FPS, 85MOPS not a gaming super pointer, but was great little upgrade for the price.

Because as I said I like the audible (old school beeping) messages to alert me so then I can look at the LED and check the code in the manual, I will still try to get a speaker to work. I used an older dime size speak unit, maybe a new one will work.

Thanks guys
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PROTOFECT-
    Graphics Machine

CPU
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antec 300 Case-MID Tower
    Case Cooling:
    Antec Fans

You've gotten some good advice already. Just thought I'd also say to do all your OCing manually. CIA2 is poor.

For some, S3 is bugged, others it works fine, some have devices that don't like it etc. All in all it's a mixed bag.

One thing to try, and it may sound strange, is to make sure that the mouse and keyboard in their properties have "Power down this device" disabled. It may sound obvious but also make sure "allow this device to wake the PC" is enabled. If like me, you have the PC upstairs and something like walking past it can move the mouse a fraction and cause a resume, disable the mouse as a wake up device and just let the KB resume the PC.

Quite commonly, the onboard NIC(s) can be an issue when using S3 and can cause one or all of the bugs seen including yours. again, as with the KB and Mouse, disable "Turn off this device to save power" and also "allow this device to wake the PC", unless you use Wake on LAN/Magic packet etc. The current NIC driver offered by Windows Update is unstable for some and causes S3 issues too. Use the latest driver for your OS from the Realtek.tw web site (requires Internet Explorer to download files).

USB Legacy Support/USB Legacy Storage Detect is, as Lsdmeasap says a common cause of random issues too. It only effects storage devices over USB and the ability to use them in the BIOS (QFlash/Profiles) and in DOS. I have mine disabled unless I'm flashing the BIOS or using DOS, when I enable it short term.

Your intermittant locks may also have ad something to do with the mouse polling interval. changing this along with the DPI settings (1200DPI should be sufficient for many people, most ball mice only offer 800DPI anyway, so still an improvement) may help.

I understand you're hapy with the KB and mouse you're usingnow, but these things are worth trying if you have a little spare time one day. Other than that you may as well eBay the kit and get some money back.

As always, a BIOS update may help. As you're using F5 you likely have a lot of older programming knocking around in there, old AHCI BIOS etc. A lot of bugs get fixed that never get mentioned on the release notes. As you haven't started OCing yet, you may also find that the latest beta BIOS is more effective. that or the latest official may then become the best for you. QFlash will update you without a hitch. It's 1000% safer than doing so in Windows and will result in a perfect update. Enable Legacy USB Storage, reboot, hit the QFlash hotkey and point it to the BIOS file, saved to a USB stick. The USB stick must be formatted FAT32 in order for it to work. If this is a problem just create a small (10MB partition on the stick and format thet to FAT32, and the rest to NTFS.

I've used the case speakers that come with most cheap cases and have experienced issues with some. Try one from Maplin, Radioshack etc. The golden rule that's worked for me is always to buy the second cheapest one, not the most cheap.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

my s3 works flawlessly in vista but doesnt in xp,so id say its a driver issue and not so much bios related,maybe it will be fixed for everyone with future drivers
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have run XP32, XP64, Vista SP0, SP1 and SP2 both 32 and 64 and also Windows 7. Installing the bare essential drivers to allow S3 to function .

S3 always works for me when using stock clocks. As soon as I start to OC it stops working. To me, this points to a BIOS problem. For other issues, drivers may play a part, but I don't believe my S3 troubles, or most others which involve S3 not resuming are because of drivers.

System is stable when OC'd and every conceivable setting has been tweaked to try and eliminate the issue. See my sig for stability tests performed, which now also include WinRAR extraction of a 7GB ISO and 10GB of files ranging from a few bytes to 100MB in size.

YMMV though, and driver updates are always worth trying.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I switched back to wired mice and keyboards just due to batteries always needing changed and or signal strengths changing. Hated it, but if you still have your other keyboard you could test what I said above, this way you will know if it was the cause for future possible wireless input devices.

Some need it disabled, some do not.

I haven't resonded in a while, but thank you for all the good advice. I checked all the issues mentioned. I ended up getting rid of the wireless setup and went with a usb wired mouse and keyboard set,a simple but great set from the original IBM before Lenovo took over sales.

Now S3 works fine unless I bump the mouse during the actual power down process (in that 3-8 secs) otherwise it's good. it stays in (suspend to RAM-S3) fine until I press the left mouse (which I set up in the system power setting options)

Seems like Newer vista updates DX-11 and new 9.12 (hotfix with Open Compute, Open CL, and Open Gl 3.2) catalyst drivers stabilized my protofect (rig's name) really well. It hasn't had a crash,freezes or errors throughout daily operation,many sleeps , restarts or cold boots for as far back as I can remember. Thanx for all the good advice.the guys on this forum are great.
    PROTOFECT-
    Graphics Machine

CPU

Antec 300 Case-MID Tower
    Case Cooling:
    Antec Fans

Thread Information