Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDE/SATA question

Default IDE/SATA question

I recently installed the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and so far it has been great and was easy to install. I'm a newbie to Gigabyte and have used ASUS mbs for years. When I installed the new Windows 7 and ran the Windows Experience Index all my numbers were 7.3-7.6 (7.9 being tops). But my disk transfer rate was a dismal 5.9. I have a 10,000 rpm WD HD that was blazingly fast on my ASUS setup. So I poked around in BIOS and found everything defaults to IDE for the SATA ports. Why does it do this? My purpose was to switch to SATA drives for the faster speed. When I read all the complicated workarounds just to get SATA speeds it makes me want to go back to ASUS! Any thoughts would be appreciated. BTW--still getting 5.9 with all my tweaking. I tried to install the drivers post-install, but I guess I'll have to start over and do it on a fresh install. I need to set up a RAID array for working with HD video capture & editing.

GA-MA790FX-UD5P
    AMD Phenom II 955
    Corsair Dominator 4gb TW3X4G1600C9D-G
    Lian Li PC-A70F
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W
    Sapphire HD480RT
    main: WD velociraptor 300gb 10000rpm SATA
    aux: 3--WD Caviar 640gb 7200rpm SATA
    Windows 7 Profession 64 bit
    Last edited by DonET; 11-19-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add info

Default Re: IDE/SATA question

I hear you on that mine is pretty much the same thing. Perhaps that's the best that a HD will do.

It must have something to do with Windows 7 because I just ran the test in Vista 64 and I got perfect 5.9s--the highest score in Vista.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Mybe bacause standards have changed since Vista came out. You can't expect to get the same score as SSD.

All mechanical HDD's will score 5.9, including RAID 0 Velociraptors.

Windows measures random reads and writes as well as sequential. To give an example, a single Velociraptor can do 4K random writes at about 3MB/s. My X25-M can do the same task at 50MB/s+, hence the much higher score. I get a 7.8 for WEI.

Do remember though that WEI is next to meaningless. They're a bunch of numbers that give no detail to the tests used. Good for looking at the back of a box to tell if software will run, but not good to say "My system is a 7.1, what's yours?"

SATA is IDE. SATA is merely a different cable type, transferring data serially rather than in parallel. Other than that and the transfer rate increases it still uses the exact same ATA-protocol calls. IDE mode is merely mentioned in BIOS to distinguish it from AHCI and RAID. You will get little if any difference in performance using AHCI and Native mode than running Legacy IDE. If running a file server using a data base program and serving upwards of 200 users then AHCI brings NCQ which boosts performance. Otherwise it makes little difference apart form maybe a small 1-5% boost in small random transfers.

You will get the exact same speeds and the exact same score on your old ASUS board.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

And so you know, the BIOS only calls/names it IDE, it is SATA mode all of the choices for SATA Disks.

Do you have write back cache enabled? If so disable it and test again, and then re-enable and test again. This sometimes has a negative effect on windows 7 where it should increase speeds like vista/xp it will decrease WEI scores. So likely you of course have this enabled, disable it and test again and see what I mean

Thanks guys for the lessons on SATA. I get it all now. All this stemmed from reading a forum answer on my vid capture card and I now have this forum to get my technical questions answered by people who know their stuff!

I tried the enable/disable/enable write caching but that didn't change. Found a utility from my vid card site (Intensity Pro) that says my disk speed is excellent. I've had trouble with HD vid capture from my DVR in the past, but this system I just built should handle it fine.

And you have convinced me to get the Intel X25-M SSD--thanks.
    Last edited by DonET; 11-20-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add line

Virtually all video capture , well definitely all, will be sequential writes if coming from source to card, to HDD after encoding. Depending on what codec you use you will require different minimum write speeds. That said, even if you were capturing in ultra high quality H264 at 1080p, almost any modern HDD should be able to cope. There are for example 1080p video cameras using low(ish) grade flash storage which is slower than a regular PC HDD. Granted, they probably use MPEG-4 and not at as high a bitrate, but it's a rough example.

Your Velociraptor should be able to pull a minimum of ~90MB/s write at the very inside of the disk and up to ~150MB/s at the outside.To guarantee your captures are in the fastest part of the disk, you can partition off the first ~180GB and use that as the destination if you like. This will increase average write speed over the area being used for encoding (because you're "cutting off" the slower bit).

A SSD would be best used as a boot and apps drive, and have your big heavy duty encoding data go to the Velocirptor. That would be the ideal config. If I were building a System for a video buff, that's the config I'd choose: I7 clocked to ~3.4-3.6GHz with HT on for some 8 core pixel punching, as much RAM as they could afford (6-12GB), obviously any encoding hardware they specify, plus a SSD boot and apps drive (60-80GB) and either a 1.5TB WD Black plus 1.5GB WD Green backup or a 300GB Wd Velociraptor and a WD6400AAKS (Caviar SE/Blue) backup. Spinning storage capacity depends on their needs and the desire for the fastest HDD's (Raptor) or a balance with capacity.

On the plus side you will notice so much more responsiveness with a SSD boot drive. Apps will load in single fugure seconds that took 10's of seconds before etc. Capacity is limited on the affordable ones, and expensive on the larger (256GB+). It is however worth every penny getting a moderate sized one. If you do want one with a capacity of anything above and including 128GB, I recommend getting two 60GB drives instead for RAID0. It may cost you another 10/$17 or so but will be worth it.

SSD's to consider getting would be either Indilinx or Intel based (search and make sure it's one of these two controllers inside):
    Intel X25-M G1 or G2, in either 80G or 160G versions
    OCZ Vertex or Agility. Agility is the same innards with whichever flash is cheapest at time of manufacture, Vertex is a fixed BOM, using Samsung NAND.
    Crucial M225, was the cheapest option for an Indilinx drive but has since gone up by about 1/3 to match other Indilinx based drives (crafty Crucial).
    Corsair X series (not M or P, M is JMicron which are nasty and P is Samsung controller based not too bad but not great).

Don't get suckered into buying a "Vertex Turbo" as they're not worth the money for an extra 20MB/s. They've overclocked the controller to 180MHz to get a bit less latency = more throughput. Actually the NAND is the bottle neck so OCing the controller is pretty worthless. This is proved on the latest line of Agility series that use Toshiba NAND. The Toshiba based Agilities are faster than the Vertex Turbo because Tosh NAND has slightly lower latency, meaning 30-35MB/s more at the stock non OC controller speed.

Let us know what choices you make and keep us informed. It's always good to hear a followup when someone plans an upgrade. is tight for me, so the more I hear about others getting expensive stuff the more it feels like I'm almost having it myself.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Thanks again! I actually haven't tried the video capture with my new system. The Intensity Pro card I'm using had lousy software and would choke unless I had a RAID array. But the new software I just downloaded has supposedly got all the kinks out. I already ordered the Intel SSD--only one company has it in stock here. Once I get it all setup I'll keep you posted. May be awhile: just getting over surgery and can't lift anything and my case is heavy. Thanks again.

Cool, You'll enjoy the drive, I'm sure.

Hope you get better soon.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information