Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-P31-DS3L and 4GB of ram

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P31-DS3L and 4GB of ram

Ya it is likely that the P31 crippled chipset just can't handle that ram density is all, which is why the noted that as you see above.

Time for a upgrade sounds like. Let us know if you need any help picking out parts, or if you decide not to and need help finding ram that will work properly for this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya it is likely that the P31 crippled chipset just can't handle that ram density is all, which is why the noted that as you see above.

Time for a upgrade sounds like. Let us know if you need any help picking out parts, or if you decide not to and need help finding ram that will work properly for this board.
    Thanks tripper :)

Can you recommend a similar 775 board, that can overclock my E8500 to 3.6 ish.

I would ideally like a board that can handle 8-16gb of ram (I'm using Win 7 64bit, and am very pleased with it).

Of course RAM sticks to go with that would help. Know any good 4gb sticks out there, or should I stick with 2gb? Should or could I go with DDR3?

Thanks
    DNC
    Mobo: GA-P31-DS3L - CPU: Intel E8500 at 3.16ghz - RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR800 1gb - GFX: Sapphire Radeon 4850 1gb

Well ya, any P35 or P45 board will be able to push your 8500 to 4Ghz if you have proper cooling. I would recommend a P45 model, if you want a simple BIOS P35 if you can find one still.

With your ram thoughts you may need a P45 really, not sure how well P35 would do with 16Gb but it will do 8GB for sure.

I have not used or seen much use of 4GB sticks, 2GB Sticks I use all the time myself. DDR2 and 3, just depends on your board choice what would be best

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well ya, any P35 or P45 board will be able to push your 8500 to 4Ghz if you have proper cooling. I would recommend a P45 model, if you want a simple BIOS P35 if you can find one still.

With your ram thoughts you may need a P45 really, not sure how well P35 would do with 16Gb but it will do 8GB for sure.

I have not used or seen much use of 4GB sticks, 2GB Sticks I use all the time myself. DDR2 and 3, just depends on your board choice what would be best
    What dya reckon to a GA-EP45T-UD3LR?

I'll be limited to 8gb, but that's probably fine for the time being.
    Mobo: GA-P31-DS3L - CPU: Intel E8500 at 3.16ghz - RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR800 1gb - GFX: Sapphire Radeon 4850 1gb

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DotNetCoder View Post
    What dya reckon to a GA-EP45T-UD3LR?

I'll be limited to 8gb, but that's probably fine for the time being.
    Note that the "L" boards OC options are limited compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Note that the "L" boards OC options are limited compared to the others.
    Limited, as in, unstable at higher freqs?

I guess the other thing I'm going to face, is can I overclock AND use all 8gb?

Doesn't it make it harder, unless you have a kick ass mobo and kick ass RAM?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DotNetCoder View Post
    Limited, as in, unstable at higher freqs?
    Less options to set, like MCH Reference or Cahnnel reference, not sure about the P45 L boards but mine have only 0.1v steps for VTT, MCH Core and DRAN Voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by DotNetCoder
    I guess the other thing I'm going to face, is can I overclock AND use all 8gb?

Doesn't it make it harder, unless you have a kick ass mobo and kick ass RAM?
    I realy don't know, some for example just put 16GB in and everything work without any further tweaking, other have difficulties with 4GB of ram.

I tend to believe luck(or lack of it) has something to do with it too.

Yes the "L" Boards and limited as in "Budget" and have less features and BIOS options.

8GB or 16GB is going to limit your Overclocks for sure, especially in ram speeds. And you will need to use far more MCH Voltages as well.

Do you actually Need that much ram? If not I highly suggest you stick with 4GB

Here I posted some information on the Gigabyte naming scheme, so you can see what all the letters mean >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f59/ep45...68/#post321143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information