Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P31-DS3L and 4GB of ram

Default GA-P31-DS3L and 4GB of ram

Hi there,

I've read this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/how-...31-ds3l-31153/

But when my bios boots, it shows the post screen and only detects 2gb (dual channel), freezing before the interrupt list is shown.

I've attached the bios screenshot of the settings I tried, and the CPUz memory timings screen. The ram I use is 4x1gb Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G.

If anyone has any good ideas on any adjustments I can make to get my mobo detecting all 4gb, that would be much appreciated.

TIA
    DNC

Default Re: GA-P31-DS3L and 4GB of ram

Here's the CPUz screenshot:

Chike is offline Senior Member

This is from motherboard spec page, in red:
    * Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur. Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information
    What BIOS version do you have?
    Try using 2.00B memory multiplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    This is from motherboard spec page, in red:

What BIOS version do you have?
    Try using 2.00B memory multiplier.
    Hi Chike,

Yep, I'm using half-height, single sided, 8 chip modules.

Bios is the latest (F10A, 30/7/08). It is a beta version, but is only a minor adjustment from the last stable release.

How do I check the memory multiplier, I saw something about 2.00B and 2.00D, what should I do to change it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DotNetCoder View Post
    Yep, I'm using half-height, single sided, 8 chip modules.
    I thought they were double sided.

Quote Originally Posted by DotNetCoder
    How do I check the memory multiplier, I saw something about 2.00B and 2.00D, what should I do to change it?
    Set
    Code:
    System Memory Multiplier -------------- : [2.00B]
    Memory frequency should than change from:
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) --800----------- : 800
    to:
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) --800----------- : 667

According to the site it should have done in automatically. Was the picture taken with 2 or four memory mocules installed?

I thought they were double sided.
    Absolutely right. For some reason I was thinking half height = single sided.

They are, as you say, double-sided 16 chip (not 8), and I presume suck up too much current for my poor mobo.

I think I'm going to buy myself a new mobo and lots of DDR3, instead of mucking around with this one. It's done me well for a year :)

Thanks for more careful scrutiny - cheers!
    Last edited by DotNetCoder; 11-22-2009 at 11:46 PM.

What does PCH Health show for ram voltage with 4 sticks? Maybe you can give it some more and still be near 1.9v?

What does PCH Health show for ram voltage with 4 sticks? Maybe you can give it some more and still be near 1.9v?
    Once I've got 4 sticks in, it freezes at the first screen, so I cant get into the BIOS menu.

Should I pre-configure the bios with a much higher MCH and DDR2 voltage, then power off, insert the extra 2gb, and then boot up?
    Mobo: GA-P31-DS3L - CPU: Intel E8500 at 3.16ghz - RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR800 1gb - GFX: Sapphire Radeon 4850 1gb

I looked at the manual and it seems that even with 3 modules installed 2 need to be single sided, maybe it is too much for it to handle.

I looked at the manual and it seems that even with 3 modules installed 2 need to be single sided, maybe it is too much for it to handle.
    I wouldn't be surprised, cheers for your assistance.
    Mobo: GA-P31-DS3L - CPU: Intel E8500 at 3.16ghz - RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR800 1gb - GFX: Sapphire Radeon 4850 1gb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information