Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP43-UD3L: Exhibiting Strange Power LED "cycle"

Default GA-EP43-UD3L: Exhibiting Strange Power LED "cycle"

Morning,

Just wanted to see if anyone has seen anything like this...

As part of a new Windows Home Server project - this weekend - I purchased the following:

GA-EP43-UD3L
    Intel e5200 CPU
    Antec 200 case
    MSI PCI-e (Passive) graphics display

coupled with three Seagate 1TB drives and an Antec Earthwatts 500 supply.

The build went perfect and so did the Server Recovery install of WHS. I was basically up and running with a couple hours of assembling the hardware.

Now - the reason I chose this board and this CPU was to try and take advantage of some power savings and efficiency. I want the WHS available when we need it - but I want it to sleep when we do not. I am planning to use the excellent Lights Out addon for WIndows Home Server to control the wake/sleep patterns of the server.

After installing this addon yesterday in a day of testing - the box did not follow protocal and did not go to sleep as programmed by the add-on. I have checked the BIOS repeatedly and the Power Management area seems to be set correctly.

Now - when I examined the server itself this morning - I noticed an odd thing - when in a running state - the box shows the "power" LED (on the front panel of my Antec 200 case) going thru a very deliberate "on/off" cycle - where the LED is on and then gentles fades out...then 3 seconds later comes back on...etc.

When I was assembling and testing the box prior to the server install - I distinctly remember that light being on - solid - all the time when the box was powered on.

Anyone have any ideas what this means?

Also - I did install and enabled the Dynamic Energy Saver software which came with this rig - could that have something to do with my issue? I was reading that sticking this thing in stealth mode leaves it "on" like forever?

Anyone know if it's any good or should I just uninstall it to troubleshoot my sleep issues with less "power" interference?

Appreciate any insights.

Cheers!

VP

Default Re: GA-EP43-UD3L: Strange Power LED "cycle" - DES?

I think I solved my own issue...from another thread on DES...

"Not to mention, the DES is INDEED turned off, because the power LED will flash every few seconds when it is turned on, so it is easy to know when it is working and when it's not."

So I take it from this - if DES is on...my power LED will be flashing like I described....

How does one turn this thing off - short of uninstalling it permanently?

Cheers!

VP

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP43-UD3L: Exhibiting Strange Power LED "cycle"

Yes, that assumption is correct.

What do you want to turn off or disable, sorry not sure if you mean LED's or a program or feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, that assumption is correct.

What do you want to turn off or disable, sorry not sure if you mean LED's or a program or feature.
    Thanks for the update - yes I wanted to get rid of the software completely - it appears to have been interfering with a specific Windows Home Server add-on that allows the server to hibernate per schedule.

I was able to strip this DES stuff off and everything is working great - the box hibernates on cue and awakes perfectly as well.

And the power LED no longer blinks at me :)

Cheers!

VP

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you are all set now then!

Post back anytime if you need further help with something. Enjoy your Blink free system!

Thread Information