Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P55 UD3 Cold boot BSOD problem

Default Re: GA-P55 UD3 Cold boot BSOD problem

Hi,
    looks like I'm having a quite similar problem. My setup is:
    P55-UD3 F5+ Core i7 860 + 2x 2GB GEIL GV34GB1333C7DC

Even without any overclocking, i.e. with Fail Safe Defaults of Optimized Defaults settings, the system runs not at all stable.
    There can happen thausend of memerory errors when booting into memtest86+. Also user space memtester-4.0.7. causes a system freeze quite frequently.
    On the other hand, it also passed 20 passes of memtest86+ without errors the other day, but I've absolutely no clue what make it fail and what not.

I tried a couple of settings, mainly regarding the DRAM frequency and voltage settings. The RAM default is at 1333MHz CL 7-7-7-24. I relaxed theese settings down to 800MHz and 9-9-9-36, which still led to failure ocassionly. Further I experimented with the DRAM voltage with no sustainable success.

However I noticed some strange effects which I don't know if they are bugs actually or "features".

First I tried hard to setup 1.5V DRAM voltage, because I read in the memory specs and elsewhere on the web, that this RAM should be operated at 1.5V-1.5V (does that make sense, no tolerance allowed?) Well, the setting [AUTO] yields 1.584V, the settings [NORMAL] and [1.5V] yield 1.552V, and the setting [1.4V] yields 1.45V, all measured on the PC Healt Status Page or with lm_sensors (Linux). Unfortunately there is no option for [1.45V] which I might expect to yield 1.5V, eventually. But is that 0.5V difference ok, anyway? Or is the voltage regulation of the MB faulty? Btw, I tried that with two different PSU's: same results.

Next strange thing: memtest86+ shows the memory freq, 666/1332MHz. However, sometimes after boot (with or without power cylce) there are odd values like 677/1354MHz or so, without any setup changes made. So what does that mean?

And then, can it be that some bios settings require a complete power cycle to become effective? It's because I tried various settings, which virtually did not change anything. But after a power off suddenly it did not boot at all, or showed only 2GB RAM instead of 4GB, or the like.

I would be glad if someone could give me advice, since I'm completely lost. I don't even know if I could/should return parts to the shop, because I don't know what actually cases the problems, RAM or motherboard, or something else?

Roland

Have changed my blk frequeny to 160 in order to get the ram running at 1600 - so now it's dong everything it says it should (1600, 8-8-8-24 at 1.65 volts), I'll see how the cold boot goes tomorrow.

Just thought I would give this post a little bump to see if anyone has some further guidance, thoughts or even funny jokes to remove some of the frustration of bsod's on cold boots :)

Following on from my previous post in this series I reinstalled W7 over the weekend and all my corruption issues with windoze files have been resolved for the time being but I am still experiencing bsod on cold boot. Not surprising as I haven't changed any voltage or timing settings in the bios at this stage, pending advice on previously posted settings.

Cheers
    Adski

Can it be that C1E "Enhanced Halt" is the culprit?

I experimented with various settings since my last post. Amongst others I set memory freq as low as 800MHz (default is 1333MHz), which still showed instabilities until I disabled C1E. Whit that the PC was stable over the weekend and passed a number stress tests and memory tests without errors.
    Lets see if the next days support this suspicion, and then I'll try to gradually bring the DRAM clock to its default 1333MHz.

Roland

>>Can it be that C1E "Enhanced Halt" is the culprit?

Hi Roland,

can't confirm. C1E enabled/disabled/auto does NOT have any effect on my setup... crashes/BSODs as usual running dual channel mode with either setting.

Eric

Meanwhile my system also crashed with C1E disabled. It was running stable at 800MHz and without C1E for a couple of days, including several memtests. Then I stepped to 1066MHz leaving C1E disabled, which crashed memtest86+ in the 23rd (!) pass, so not at all a cold boot problem here.

After reading this: Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums my current subject of investigation is the "Load Line Calibration" setting. What have you guys set there? Again it appears to be stable at 800MHz and Load Line Calibration disabled "following Intel specs". In the next days IŽll try to go to 1066MHz, lets see then.

But to be onest, I dont have still much hope to eventually achieve a stable system, at default memory timings and frequencies, just by tweaking those bios parameters. It looks for me rather like a buggy bios which some brands of memory happen to be sensitive against, and others not. Lets hope a revised bios brings the solution.

Roland

>>[...]the "Load Line Calibration" setting. What have you guys set there?
    optimized defaults all over the place - I try to change one setting at a time, since the error does not reliably reproduce.

I also hope for a new BIOS and run 2GB single channel ( which is stable with my system ) until then.

Eric

Just one additional info: 2x2 GB in single channel mode ( i.e. one white and one blue slot used ) is also stable here with BIOS in "Opt. Defaults".
    The overall performance hit does not seem to be too large ...

Eric

That's interesting - I'll give it a try over the next few days,

Well I put the ram into single channel mode last night and got another blue screen this morning - an F7, which is a first, I think.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information