Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex58 cold boot and sleep problems

Default Re: Ex58 cold boot and sleep problems

Also what happens if you put too much voltage in? Can you set your house on fire?

Whats generally safest too little or a bit extra for good measure?

OH CHECK THIS OUT - TAKEN SIDE OFF THE CASE dropped to 72-78-77-74 - DANG I NEED A BETTER CASE now down to 70-77-76-74

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wheelscene View Post
    sorry bro I meant hyper threading - actually I see that HPET in power management - what does it do?

I'm gonna leave this running for a few more hours if it lasts - reading lots of conflicting statements about length of prime tests ; some say 2 hours; "youre doing ok", others 24 is the best etc. I reckon 8 or 12 is enough, just dont want to get to 11 hours 59 mins for a BSOD lol. Have to start over.

Wouldn't mind thoughts on the 4.2 actually and the brown screen I wonder if it had something to do with teamviewer; its a remote desktop tool and I was logging on from downstairs to check the desktop and obviously it changes screen resolution etc. If the system was choking itself on prime it might has messed up the screen changing resolutions. Mebbe. Hmmm. I guess if funny coloured screens is unheard of would have to unique to what I was doing. If the system decided it was too hot (althought havent intel said it will even still run at 100) would it blue screen or just turn off?

Just learning now too when people refer to RAM Multi it means the 8-8-8 or 9-9-9 part etc so I dig that my rating is 8-8-8 so 2x multi = 16 or +1=17. When would some one need to add that +1 part?

QPI link for me is 36= Is that set in stone due to what hardware I have or does it need changing for anything?

I also see now that BLCK is equivalent to older FSB so whatever you times the Clock Ratio by you get the overall MHZ said of the PC , so currently testing 19*200 = 3800.

So the higher that is the more voltage needed to run at that speed. Both CPU and memory.
    Ahh ok, ya Hyperthreading off can give lower temps for sure, sometimes not much though.

Prime95...

Well 2 hours is yes "OK" and shows that it is not failing quickly and super unstable, like it settings are way off it will fail within seconds or a few minutes.

12-24 is best, as sometimes it can fail 4-8 hours and you still need some tweaking, other times it may fail at 12-18 hours which means you still need a bit more tweaking but are almost there.

Ya that could very well have something to do with the screen colors now that you mention that.

If the CPU Goes over 100C it will throttle down, then after so long yes it will BSOD or shut down from the PROCHOT instructions in the CPU

Ra multi, people mean memory multiplier. Which is what you use to figure memory speed (Bclk x Memory Multi = Memory Speed)

888-20 is Main memory timings

16+1, that I think you are refering to Uncore advise. Normal Uncore is 2x your ram multi, a lot of people use 2x +1, or 2x +2.

QPI can be set to anything, higher may require more voltages on certain things though, sometimes. The only real rule here is you need to keep this below 8.0GT/s unless you have hard modded your board. QPI Speed is Bclk x QPI Multi = QPI Speed

Yeap, faster anything almost always means more voltages

Ya Blck is same as FSB, just different terminology and design for X58

Also what happens if you put too much voltage in? Can you set your house on fire?

Whats generally safest too little or a bit extra for good measure?
    No your house wont burn down Temps will just go really high under load if the voltage is too high, that is all.

Too little? I couldn't say as I only use a lot What is too much, well that depends on your cooler. To be safe if you are not using water then keep your Vcore at load shown in CPU-z under 1.425-1.45, 1.45-1.5 is pretty hot on a air cooler so I doubt you would be using this much.

If you are on water you can use 1.5+ if you want, and temps are acceptable

OH CHECK THIS OUT - TAKEN SIDE OFF THE CASE dropped to 72-78-77-74 - DANG I NEED A BETTER CASE now down to 70-77-76-74
    You can use the edit button

Sounds like you may just need to setup better airflow in your current case. Do you have a 120MM Front intake fan? And 120MM rear exhaust?

its an inverted lian-li massive ting ImageShack -

as you can see there must have been a massive build up heat around the cpu area and there's only that little patch for release. I think the case is so big any fans at the front would even blow that far to the back!lol
    Decided rather than faffing - just leave the side off LOL
    Last edited by wheelscene; 11-28-2009 at 06:17 PM.

##RESULTS TIME##

Just done 1 hour of OCCT - Passed (pleased with that as I never got that to pass anything before; usually 5-10 mins down the line - TOO HOT FAIL!

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8...42ghzhtoff.jpg
    I reckon thats a great step hey bro! :-)

Settings 20*200 turbo on! (HT - off for nicer temps)
    I've tweaked volts a bit too since mentioned to much can cause piping hot action.
    This time on the volts where you gave me a between figure I have gone one notch down from the middle nearer to start figure.
    Case Side off (not bothering with new case, just repositioned PC so the guts facing side is out of sight and close enough to wall to stop my cat climbing in there and losing its nose on a noctua!)

Started PRIME95 on blend nothing major after 25 mins so happy days. Gonna leave for 8-10 hours and if thats all good - jobs a good one! fingers crossed no more silly posts from me.

Oh will HT cause any noticeable performance drop - things feel 4hgz sharp still - I guess it must depend on hyper-t friendly apps like vid encoders - TBH who sits and watches that - er me - coz I sit and watch prime doh! lol

Ahh ya, that is a large case. Looks kinda like my RocketFish which is a rebrand for Best Buy from Lian Li. Well it is as big anyway I mean.

Maybe a good plan to setup a few 120MM Fans somewhere inside there. At least put one up front, whether it reaches the back or not does not matter as it will still pull in cool air. Put one of these in the drive bays, and maybe cut an exhaust fan hole up top.
    Lian Li BZ-502B 3 X 5.25" Fan Module with Mesh Front and Filter - Black Products Model: BZ-502B [BZ-502B] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

##MORE RESULTS##

Actually decided to get a new case. I wasnt happy with the other one; far too big. So got one I've had my eye on for a while; coolermaster HAF 932. Amazing. Temps even lower than the old one with the sides off!

Anyway off track. Left PRIME95 running all day yesterday and it was fine. HT was off for temps though. In new case put HT back on and left for most of the night and no probs either temps didnt go over 77 on hottest core!!! for 4.2 on AIR never thought I'd see that.

Did another OCCT test today with HT and it hammered it but still passed hottest core 76.

Looking stable or what :-) :-)

Sleep working fine but still not had chance for the lengthy periods of sleep or shut down for cold boots but I'm feeling confident you fixed me up. Well pleased. Even better than when I bought it. As de niro said in cape fear, every man has to go through hell to reach salvation. Will post final sleep test in a couple of days.

12 hours prime @4.2 ghz HT on

temps ok ??
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/453...tmapimage2.jpg

I like it dude, deffo some serious air being shifted and the cable management was easy to get a clutter free case. I think its a tad quieter some how too - less room for echo I think. Just turned on after a day of power down and no cold boot. i would have expected 3 or four cycles after that. This is looking so good now. Seriously cant thank you enough man.

From what you have seen would you say I'm home and dry now. Temps look like voltages ok and air flow ok?
    Hope so I cant see any need for it my end. I can get back to normal now and not have to explain "what on earth are you doing on that computer now" from my better half.

Any tips for ensuring longetivity of the OC? (apart from dont use the PC for too long LOL, hence my sleep gripes!!)
    Is it likely the OC can become unstable? What are the signs? Does this set up require regooping of the CPU every now and again (used artic silver 5).

I was looking at tweaktown the main webpage today and it's full of good stuff.
    Saw that and my eyes popped out on stalks TweakTown Admiral PC (Unlimited Cost) :: TweakTown

I'll deffo be popping back and maybe even offering some tips myself for the hords of "hey whats with UD5 cold booting & sleeping". Like you say on say many "once you iron out the bios kinks the problem doesnt exist".

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information