Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Pentium D 805 & GA P45-UD3L overclock.

Default Re: Help with Pentium D 805 & GA P45-UD3L overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I doubt the Latch does anything realy but changing the available options for memory multiplier.
    The latch refer to FSB not memory frequency.

With "them" being what? If it is timings you are refering to than of course the larger multiplier results in higher memory frequency which will need higher timings.
    Oh sorry, I was talking about the memory timmings, yesterday I was trying to run them as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well the MCH Latch changes internal NB Freq's and timings, so even using the same memory multi throughput can be drastically different.

Well you very well could be correct with your CPU multi, I just told you all that to be sure you did not think it was locked if it indeed was not. I have used a few pentium D's myself and they were unlocked, but they could have been ES's or extreme ones I don't remember.

To really take advantage of your board and GFX Card you really should get a new CPU, are you saving up to do so? That CPU is bottlenecking your GFX Card badly and this is why your games are not playing properly.
    You're right, I'm saving for a Q9550, that's the main reason I got this board. And the card will end up with my brother's PC, if I see that Nvidia cards drop price, or get better.

Oh btw, is there anything better than the processor I'm planning to get? (in this platform), I picked that, because of the price/performance ratio, the huge l2 cache, "high" fsb, OC capability and such.
    ------------------------------------------------
    i7 920 D0 (Stock)
    Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler
    x58a-UD3R (rev: 1.0) using F6c BIOS
    2x2GB A-Data 1333 DDR3
    600w CoolerMaster Extreme PSU
    CoolerMaster 690 Case
    ATI Radeon 4850
    Win7 x64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to hear you do plan a CPU upgrade, this will help tremendously!

That is a great CPU Choice, no need for anything more or less unless you are hurting for cash or need a better CPU quickly. If you did need one quickly or do not want to wait a long time saving a Q6600 would also be a great choice, it won't clock as high but it would be much better than your current CPU for sure.

kick is offline Senior Member

Im using a D820 on my other mboard which only allows cpu voltage adjustment, not memory v.
    the multiplier is locked at 14
    3.5ghz is the usual easy overclock on these,(what i use, with 250mhz ref frequency,my memory running at 667mhz) tho some do get up to 4ghz with good cooler and board.

One of the main problems with overclocking on these pentium duals seems to be that there is only one core temp sensor,even tho you will get a dual temp reading with some utilities.
    One core will shut down to safe mode long before the other,you will notice this if you monitor the cores while testing.

On the cpu upgrade to a quad ,id go for the Q8400 theres a deal on newegg now for $159..you wont notice much overclocked performance difference between that and a Q9550 which would be like $100 more.
    Yes the l2 cache is less only 4mb,Q9400 has 6mb for like $40 more but you wont notice that unless u do a lot of rendering.
    Ive bought a Q8400 for myself and will be selling my Q8200 .
    Not a huge upgrade u might think but it by the time i sell my q8200 i should have a 3.9ghz cpu for v little outlay.

nb when you get your new cpu you will notice a big performance increase even running at stock speed.
    Last edited by kick; 11-27-2009 at 07:09 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information