Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: must disconnect SATA hard drive to boot GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

Default Re: must disconnect SATA hard drive to boot GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

OK. On my motherboard, I swapped the SATA cables so that they were not in the supposedly necessary positions, and the computer cheerfully booted and restarted with no problem whatsoever. This is entirely consistent with the motherboard manual, which says nothing whatsoever about which SATA device should go to which connector, other than possibly in the case of RAID, which is irrelevant for my purposes.

So it's something else--possibly memory (according to newegg, I put G.Skill model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK in my sister's computer), possibly a new version of the motherboard or the BIOS, possibly something completely different. The list of memory they have tested with it includes G.Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK; that apparently isn't a typo, since Google turns up both. G.Skill lists the model I used on the page artdrivers linked to as supported; thanks for the link.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I don't want to argue with you but I help thousands of people a year and build many Gigabyte systems each year as well, my own and for clients. MANY things are not mentioned in the manual that should be, this does not make them untrue or unnecessary. You can believe me or not, but since you have tested this and found it to not be the cause then you are right in this case it is not part of the issue. I simply stated that information for you because sometimes this is the cause of such problems, not always does it cause issue.

So since we last spoke have you updated to any newer BIOS yet? I would suggest you update to F6, released just this month and see if that helps. Be sure you load and apply optimized defaults, then save/reboot after you flash before coming back to the BIOS to make any changes you need to

I'll look into upgrading the BIOS; thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jejones3141 View Post
    Thanks to newegg's keeping records, I have answers. :)
    On Linux you should have access to commands 'lspci', 'dmidecode', and 'decode-dimms'. The last of these
    might be able to show the vendor and part info from DIMM's via SPD (like CPU-Z does in Windows).

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, please do at least try out the latest BIOS and see if it acts the same. I would also test another drive or two if you can, in case there is something up with the drive that is doing this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information