Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: must disconnect SATA hard drive to boot GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

Default must disconnect SATA hard drive to boot GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

Putting together a system for my sister and niece, including the very favorably-reviewed GA-MA785GMT-UD2H. When it works, it works beautifully. The problem: to get it to boot, I have to disconnect the SATA hard drive (both power and data) and boot. Then, if I power down and reconnect the SATA hard drive, it will boot normally.

When I don't do this, e.g. after installing something that requires a reboot, it hangs after beeping and displaying the BIOS splash screen, before the results of the RAM scan take place.

I've set SATA to "native IDE", having read a report on ubuntuforums.org about Karmic Koala having trouble booting in AHCI mode--but the hang occurs long before Ubuntu gets control.

I tend to doubt it's a short--if it were that, why would it work part of the time?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: must disconnect SATA hard drive to boot GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

I have not used Ubuntu in a while, is this the only system you have on this setup?

What ports do you have your Hard drive and CD/DVD drive connected to? Hard drive should be in SATA2_0 and CD/DVD drive should go into SATA2_4

It does not sound like a short to me either

Can you install a windows system as dual boot for testing, just to see if this maybe is only with Ubuntu?

Yes, I just have Ubuntu on it.

As things stand, I have the DVD and hard drive connected to SATA2_1 and SATA2_2, I believe--not sure which is connected to which. I will try connecting them as you describe, and follow up with the results. (Is that documented somewhere, BTW?)

I don't have access to Windows to try installing it.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I reconsidered after rereading the motherboard manual; it has nothing that says one must use particular SATA ports for CD/DVD versus hard drive, save perhaps if one is running RAID--and I'm not. And taking apart enough stuff to do that is a big pain; we're talking an Apevia QPACK-2 case with a graphics card that cheerfully sticks out over the SATA connections. My sincere apologies, lsdmeasap; I spoke too soon.

We did consider doing it, though, and that led to an additional clue. After the consideration, it came right up. What distinguishes that from other attempts? Actually being without power. Reboot? It hangs early in the POST. Shut down, throw the switch on the power supply, wait a bit, throw the switch again, and power up? It comes right up.

So what would that affect? Peripherals coming up too soon, or not soon enough? I'm not sure. Is this a BIOS issue? Seems like it, given how early in the boot sequence it happens.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I assure you that how I told you to connect the drives is needed, please do this!

All you have to do is open the case and switch the ports, nothing needs to be taken apart. I am for sure, without the drives connected in this fashion there will be problems such as what you are seeing. I help 100's of users each day with Gigabyte boards and build many each year as well, aside from the many I personally own and use. This is normal and proper, but you are correct, not documented properly.

I am not sure why you see what you do with the power switch, but I believe this may be part of it. Either way you need to correct your drives placement.

I do also advise you update to the latest BIOS if you are not already using it, if you are unsure on any of this process please read this guide and DO NOT use @BIOS!
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Aside from that, have you tested this drive with the manufacturers diagnostic tools to be sure it is not starting to fail? Just wondering

It's too bad you cannot test with another operating system as I am unsure if this could also be partially related to Ubuntu. If none of this help you get anywhere you may have to somehow test another system to be sure though.

OK. After my home computer's graphics card fried, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade, and I have bought a GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, and a shorter graphics card. When I put it together, I will make a point of (1) attaching the SATA cables before I insert the graphics card and (2) following your advice about which port to connect which drive to and seeing whether I can successfully restart the computer. If I can, then when I next visit my sister we'll take out the huge graphics card in her computer that blocks access to all the SATA connectors when it's installed (that, and the card's barely fitting in an Apevia Qpack2 case, are what make and made me hesitant to just try the cable swap) and swap the SATA cables. If I can't, I guess I'm screwed, because Gigabyte doesn't consider a bug report worth pursuing unless it can be shown to occur with Windows.

(The hard drive was new at the time I posted; I'd hope it's not starting to fail already.)
    Last edited by jejones3141; 03-03-2010 at 03:27 PM.

I have questions. What is the part number of your memory? The issue happens before memory is counted?
    What type of power supply is in it? A week PSU can cause alot of different problems. From cold boot no p.o.s.t. to overheating the system. We have seen issues with a PSU that has a ATX_12V_1X4. You may need to get a PSU that has a ATX_12V_2X4 500WATT or greater. This gives you a wattage increase for the cpu. Page 24 of your motherboard manual--->
    To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
    What type of drives are in it? Sometimes it has been noticed here that not all SATA drives are compatible. You have a secondary switch in bios to allow SATAII_0~SATAII_3 to be seperated from SATAII_4/5. Also SATAII_4/5 can be setup as external in BIOS on Integrated Peripherals. This is why you would want the SATAII internal drive to SATAII_0 and the SATA DVD drive to SATAII_4 You may want to try all of this outside of the case first.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Default Thanks (Re: must disconnect SATA hard drive to boot GA-MA785GMT-UD2H)

Good news! Put together a new system with the GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, and connected the CD/DVD and hard drive as suggested. No trouble with restarting.

So... either in the time between when I got the motherboard for my sister's system and when I got this one, Gigabyte fixed the problem (I'll check the BIOS version and whether I have a different version of the board), or you were right, lsdmeasap; thank you. Next time I'm at my sister's, we'll go ahead and change where the hard drive and CD/DVD are connected--and if that fixes things, I will inform Gigabyte and urge them to document this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    I have questions. What is the part number of your memory? The issue happens before memory is counted?
    What type of power supply is in it?... What type of drives are in it? Sometimes it has been noticed here that not all SATA drives are compatible. You have a secondary switch in bios to allow SATAII_0~SATAII_3 to be seperated from SATAII_4/5. Also SATAII_4/5 can be setup as external in BIOS on Integrated Peripherals. This is why you would want the SATAII internal drive to SATAII_0 and the SATA DVD drive to SATAII_4 You may want to try all of this outside of the case first.
    Thanks to newegg's keeping records, I have answers. :)

On my sister's system:

• G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit (sorry, that's what I get for cutting and pasting from the Newegg product page)
    • We thought the power supply that came with the Apevia QPack 2 might be the problem, so we replaced it (perhaps needlessly, based on last night's experience) with a Thermaltake 750W power supply.
    • The hard drive we first got was DOA, so we replaced it with a WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive.

On my system, successfully assembled last night:

• Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) (sorry again...)
    • The 500W power supply that comes with the Apevia QPack 2 micro ATX case.
    • A WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive (that WD sent us back in exchange for the DOA drive--which was a Caviar Green 750GB. Dang, if they replace DOA drives with faster and larger drives, maybe I should hope for more DOAs... :))

Thanks for telling me about the BIOS settings.

When you switched BIOS settings to IDE did you perform a clean install of the OS? You will want to.
    You could be using RAM that is not fully supported.
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit)
    This did not help much on checking if it is compatible. GSKILL makes many different ones.
    example:(F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT, F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK, F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK), and others.
    Some are supported and some are not.
    Here is GSKILLS list of GSKILL RAM supported for that motherboard.
    http://www.gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&model=941
    You may want to check the module part number to the above url list.
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
    Again same thing.
    (BL2KIT25664TB1337, BL2KIT25664TN1337, ect..
    Here is Crucials list of Crucial RAM supported for that motherboard.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...-MA785GMT-UD2H
    Full compatibility is important. You should have the memory part number.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 03-05-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan