Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about returning my Gigabyte UD5

Default Re: Thinking about returning my Gigabyte UD5

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    So you are using x18 Uncore multi? I use this myself, but you may want to try x16-x17 and see if that helps for now, if it does then I can help you adjust for x18 later.
    I just checked and mine was on auto, and auto defaults to x19..

Would lowering it decrease performance?

QPI PLL, often auto is fine many say but I have no luck with that at all. I find, depending on QPI/Vtt and overall speeds that 1.18-1.28 works better than auto which most always stays at stock. Try 1.20-1.24 QPI PLL and see if it help any before lowering your uncore.
    I played with the QPI Pll a bit yesterday, and I went up to a maximum of 1.4v, but it had no discernible impact on my stability.

So you ram was at 1640-1650 right? If so, what main timings were set?
    Timings were 6-7-6-15 CR1. The memory is specced to run at 6-7-6-18 CR2, but I haven't had any issues running with more aggressive timings.
    Intel Core i7 920 SLBEJ D0 @ 4.2ghz HT on
    Noctua NH-D14
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 Extreme Mode
    12 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 2000 9-10-9-24 CR1
    EVGA Geforce GTX 580 SC SLi w/backplates @ 925/1850/4400 :up:
    Gigabyte GTS 250 1GB @ 830/2074/2400 PhysX
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Sennheiser HD-555
    Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB x 2 RAID 0
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Samsung 305t Plus 30 inch LCD monitor :D
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Logitech G500 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    CyberPower 1500VA/900W UPS back up

SELLING TWO EVGA GTX 480s!

I just tried different uncore multipliers, from x18 down to x16 and still, the same problem occurred..

I've just about had my fill of this! There's hardly a setting that I haven't touched or altered and none of them had any impact.

So I just turned on turbo mode, and I'm at 4.2ghz stable no problems. Increasing the bclk over 200 ends up with all sorts of stability issues however, regardless of what I do it seems.

Like I said in my first post, I've heard some Gigabyte boards have issues (individual boards) running over 200 bclk, so I may have gotten the luck of the draw.

So I'm done playing with this thing, and now I have to decide whether to exchange it for a UD7 or some other board, perhaps a ASUS P6X58D Premium.

Both of those boards have USB 3.0 capability.
    Noctua NH-D14
    Sennheiser HD-555
    Coolermaster HAF 932

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I doubt auto Uncore is x19, it just looks that way in the BIOS (I know what you mean) CPU-Tweaker would show you different if you checked.

So turbo is what helped? Odd to hear, as this always caused problems in older boards, but I did see this help as well with a P55 user the other day. So maybe this is becoming the norm for the new boards? I better keep an eye on suggesting this to standard, and maybe do some testing of my own which would be hard for me because I know what should be what HAHA.

I always use Extreme on that setting myself, have never used anything less actually even at 5Ghz or 2100+ Ram speeds.

I have never seen or heard of a board itself having 200+ Bclk issues, this is CPU Dependent as the boards will all do 222 Bclk with ease if you have the right CPU and 240+ if you mod the board.

If you stick with UD7 you will have my support If you switch teams I doubt you will find as much help with things.

All up to you though, good luck in deciding. I really think your board now is fine, you just need to find the right settings is all. Sorry I can't stop by and have a beer with you and fix it, that would make things so much easier on you

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

So turbo is what helped? Odd to hear, as this always caused problems in older boards, but I did see this help as well with a P55 user the other day. So maybe this is becoming the norm for the new boards? I better keep an eye on suggesting this to standard, and maybe do some testing of my own which would be hard for me because I know what should be what HAHA.
    I meant turbo mode, you know the feature that changes the multiplier, and not the turbo from the performance enhancement.

For that, I always use Extreme

I have never seen or heard of a board itself having 200+ Bclk issues, this is CPU Dependent as the boards will all do 222 Bclk with ease if you have the right CPU and 240+ if you mod the board.
    Maybe you're right. Maybe it's not the board, and instead is the CPU. Of course, I have no true way of telling unless I put this CPU in another board.

All up to you though, good luck in deciding. I really think your board now is fine, you just need to find the right settings is all. Sorry I can't stop by and have a beer with you and fix it, that would make things so much easier on you
    This is my first Core i7 platform, and if there's one thing I've learned, overclocking can be quite a bit trickier than the Core 2 family was.
    Noctua NH-D14
    Sennheiser HD-555
    Coolermaster HAF 932

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ohh!

Sorry about Turbo then, I also only use Extreme!

Ya I do not think it is the board at all, maybe the CPU, but that is unlikely as well. Most can do 200+ easy, some of course take more work than others though. The boards are very strong though, I have a few and a few CPU's and they can all do 235+ Bclk.

Yes, i7 is a new beast to learn. Right after learning how to tame the P45 Beast! :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information