Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Default Re: How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    OT: What is "alignment"?
    Alignment refers to the position at which the first partition on a HDD starts. It is sometimes advantageous to align a partition/ disk so that it starts on a specific sector/number of KB away from sector 1. This is especially important on SSD's where you don't want erase block boundaries being chopped up by misaligned partition boundaries. Even on a single partition disk with a SSD, the required alignment performs better than a "misaligned drive".

Windows 7 and Vista both align all HDD and SSD's to 1024KB, meaning the first partition (usually 100MB system reserved) starts at the 1MB position, followed by the C:\ partition which will start at the 101MB position. This alignment is correct for SSD's not in a RAID config. With XP the alignment either has to be set manually via diskpart "create partition primary align=xxx". If the first partition is aligned on a drive and all others are created as an immediate follow on, with no space gap, then every partition subsequently will be aligned.

RAM drives on Windows, last time I did check, the free ones had pathetic size limitations?
    I have no idea about free programs. There aren't even many that will work on 64bit windows. Note that any free RAM drive program for 32bit XP will create a partition in RAM big enough just for Internet |Cache. it doesn't need to be big, maybe 100MB minimum will be fine, simply restrict IE to ~90MB (You'll loose some capacity on a 100MB drive when formatted).

Software vs hardware RAID:
    - HW has dedicated processor and usually cache memory. Thus, CPU and main memory are not as involved. However, rAID0 and RAID1 have next to no computation, unlike RAID5, so the difference in CPU cycles is not so huge.
    - The bus and bandwidth. Could be either way. For example the (miserable) Silicon Image chips on GA-EP45-DQ6 ... they are hardly "directly connected".
    - HW controller presents "volumes" to the OS, not "disks and logical arrays". Can make a difference during boot, but again rAID0 and RAID1 are quite well handled by fakes too.
    - HW or SW, the "controller" does require a driver: no difference.

Thus, for the usage in question the ICH is not bad.
    RAID 1 and 0 indeed don't have parity and are extremely easy for the ICH to manage using the OS driver and CPU. However, there is a hardware limit of around 650MB/s (+/-) on ICH10R. Sounds like a lot, but this can be used up with a mere three SSD's that are capable of 200+ MB/s. Moving to a controller with cache will also greatly increase the speed of small random transfers such as 4K read and write. In a lot of cases these small transfers can be accelerated by a factor of 100 or more. Also bear in mind that virtually any sequential transfer that is at or below the size of onboard cache is accelerated greatly, sometimes very near to the speed of the cache RAM used.

Indeed, I agree, for this purpose and anyone really using a small RAID1 or RAID 0 array of a couple of mid end drives or high end consumer drives, the ICH is the better option and a card is pretty much a waste. Obviously if wanting to use SAS drives, or if you're planning on RAID0-ing more than three SSD's you will need a card or suffer crippled speeds for the SSD.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I guess I'm gonna take my chance with matrix raid, one volume for raid0 and the remaining for raid1. I ordered my second samsung spinpoint F3 hdd. But I'll need some help here configuring them. First of all I don't wanna reinstall my windows (installed on IDE mode) I stumbled upon some solutions to workaround this, I'll try them, at worst I'll reinstall the os :) But I don't know how to configure raid matrix. Will I be presented with an option in Raid Config (Ctrl-I) with Raid matrix and how much space to allocate for raid 0 or raid 1 that I wanna setup?

I have ordered a second WD6400AAKS and will be setting them up in RAID too.

When I get my drive I'll set them up in RAID 10 and see first hand what has to be done. I can then advise more accurately on how to set things up and how best to optimize for a balance of good speed and stability.

Any help you need, any time you need it, post away. Someone will always be here to help you.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If it is Vista or windows 7 you might get away with mirroring back to RAID, if it is XP you wont. A clean install may just be easier for you anyway though.

Yes, once you enable RAID in the BIOS you will see the control + I mentioned on the IRQ Screen

Wink Re: How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Any help you need, any time you need it, post away. Someone will always be here to help you.
    Thank you Psycho101, I don't feel helpless on this forum thanks to you guys ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If it is Vista or windows 7 you might get away with mirroring back to RAID, if it is XP you wont. A clean install may just be easier for you anyway though.

Yes, once you enable RAID in the BIOS you will see the control + I mentioned on the IRQ Screen
    My os is Win7, Will I get the option of raid matrix once I pressed the Ctlr-I other than raid 0, raid 1, 5 or 10? Ok the best way is to fiddle with the settings I guess when I get my second hdd ;) and my psu. Oh I haven't told you that, my seasonic S12 psu short circuited and burned some rails! :( Bad luck I guess. When I have all the components ready I'll bother you guys again ;)

You will get the Control + I choice once you enable RAID in the BIOS. Then in the RAID ROM you will be able to choose what type of array you want to make and it's settings.

Is everything else ok from your PSU Shorting? Hope so, normally if that happens it can take the rest of your hardware with it.

Well I really don't know if the rest of the hardware is gone :( I really don't even wanna think about that possibility. If it shut down the other rails when that short circuit happened, then I still have the chance, I hope... Sent the psu for servicing, and waiting for it, to be fixed or rma'ed. If the worst happens this will be my first short lived , most liked rig till now :)

Well hope it is ok! If you can test it now, so you will know instead of not finding out until later.

Question Re: How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Hello it's me again :) I guess I'm back. My psu is returned as it was. No repair, it was processed as out of warranty. It nearly started a fire in my room but it is out of warranty even though I had 1 year more. So I cut out the melted wires and it seems to be working. From now on Seasonic is history for me! Ok let me come to the main point. I set up my raid arrays succesfully, raid0+raid1 with two drives. No noticable performance gain but it was working ok till I decided to use diskeeper defrag utility. After installing the app, intel matrix storage manager warned me that one of my drive is failing and I should back up immediately. My raid0 seems to be ok but my raid1 volume is in degraded status. Is this something expected when using such disk defragmenting utilities with raid arrays or did really one of my brand new (a few days) hdd's fail?

I guess this" rebuilding and restarting and rebuilding again" process will take forever :S My first raid experience not ended happily :) If you have spare harddisks never use them as a raid array, just backup often guys :) Now switching back to old and stable ide mode which will cost me another 6 hours :/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information