Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Question How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Hi. I need some help here setting up my first raid array. I know how it works but don't have any hands on experience on it. I'd like to set up that special type of raid, raid matrix with 2 hard disks. I'd like to use raid 0+1 so that I can install my os and apps to raid 0 and put my data to raid 1. According to what is written on the net my Southbridge (ICH10R) should support it. Does it? If so, what should I do? Any tutorial links would be appreciated. Thanks...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: How to set up RAID Matrix on EP45-DS3R?

Do you mean you want two separate arrays, one RAID 0 and one RAID 1? Just checking because I can help you with that, but I have never created RAID 0+1 if it is something other than what I mentioned above.

If you want what I said, just 2 separate arrays all you do is go into the RAID ROM BIOS (Control + I at startup/IRQ Screen) and create your RAID 0 first and then install your OS to that array. Then once you ae finished go back into the RAID ROM and create your second storage RAID 1 array with the remaining disk space you have.

Small guide on this is in the back of your manual, just general RAID information I mean.

As Lsdmeasap said above, it's deceptively simple.

ICH10R does support 0+1, note that in the RAID BIOS it is referred to as RAID-10. This gives you both striping and mirroring, but isn't as quick as having a RAID0 for your OS and Programs and a RAID 1 for your files.

A compromise would be RAID5, but if write speed is crucuial (especially with ICH "fake" RAID) go for two separate arrays.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks for the replies guys ;) So, Raid 0+1 is possible with **2** disks in that case with my mainboard? What I understand is to create a volume first (I mean allocate some space) and make it Raid 0. After os installation I will make it raid 1 with the remaning unallocated space on both disks? Am I right?

Yes, you can make a 0 array and a 1 array with two disks. Then Intel controller allows 2 different arrays.

Yeap, all your thoughts about that are correct! You can make the RAID 1 array before installing the OS if you want, but I just suggested that way to make things easier on you.

I believe the OP is refering to making a RAID 0 array, then installing the OS, then making another partition on the same drives into a RAID 1.

This isn't possible as the physical disks are locked into what ever RAID mode you initially choose. When creating the array, it imports the whole drive(s). This must be done before any formatting. The import process is destructive and will render any info on the disks useless.

For an array with striping and redundancy you would have to choose RAID 10 from the ICH BIOS (this is another name for 1+0). RAID 10/1+0 is a min of 2 disks while the more fault tolerant 0+1 requires 4 disks. have a read of this for a brief explanation. RAID levels can be very complex and baffling: RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An alternative and a faster one at that is to use 4 drives and create a Raid 0 with a pair, and a RAID 1 with anothe rpair. Ine ICH will be happy to do that. I'd use ports 0and 1 for the RAID 0 and ports 2 and 3 for the RAID 1. You can then put your CD drive on the end port (SATA_5). Definitely don't use the JMicron ports as they suck IMO. Theyre best left for if you're into DVD burning and have many drives or used as ESATA in conjunction with back plates or front panels on some cases. "Light duties" basically. They're usefull but poor performing if strained and are probably on a 1x PCIE lane.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Well as I expected I gotta learn alot to get some hands on experience :) Afaik, Raid 10 with 4 disks is more reduntant but what I really wanna try is matrix raid. And I got a few more questions for you Lsdmeasap and Phsyco101 ;), is it possible to use disk imaging softwares like Acronis True Image or Acronis Disk Director (for partition copying) on raid arrays? What I really want is to put my games , temp directories and hibernation, pagefile files in to raid0 and install the rest to raid 1. Best of both worlds of raid0 and 1 on two disks looks appealing. Thanks...
    Last edited by australis; 11-28-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Psycho, you can create one array RAID 0 and another RAID 1 on only two disks. This is a matrix array. Intel chipset allows 2 separate and or different array types. And I do not mean within the same partition or array.

I used to have setup on 2x250GB drives, a 100GB RAID 0 array as my first, and the remaining disk space setup as RAID 1 for my second array to keep backups on.

But ya, if he wanted to make a partition within a RAID 0 array into RAID 1 I dont think you can do it that way, at least not on the "Hardware" side of things. It may be possible on the software side of things though, but I would think this would be a waste.

I would just create two arrays with the Matrix ROM, one RAID 0 for OS, and one RAID 1 for backups/storage

Australis, yes you can use those. I use Acronis True Image home myself to backup arrays and have no issues. I also use snapshot and it works fine as well. You can use either to backup your whole array or separate partitions within arrays.

Nope, it's 0+1 that's the more redundant. 0+1 = 4 disks, not able to do on the ICH. 1+0/RAID10 is two or more Striped and mirrored and is usable on the ICH.

I didn't know that the ICH allowed that. I certainly wouldn't recommend it though. Not sure how the whole thing would react to damage on say the RAID 0 array for data integrity. Always best IMO to either use 1+0, 0+1, RAID 5 or two arrays of 0 and 1.

To clarify from australis's original post, when 0+1, 1+0 or RAID 10 are refered to in any way like in the ICH BIOS this means a completely seperate kind of array config from plain old RAID0 or RAID 1. The ICH won't automatically create a RAID0 and a RAID 1 if you choose RAID 10, it uses a different method completely to give redundancy and striping.

Sorry for any confusion caused. RAID is a difficult subject to explain. For example, some think that ICHxR RAID is hardware RAID when in fact it is driver based with a BIOS config utility. The only true HW RAID is when using a stand alone card. Rocket RAID cards are quite cheap ($100 or so) and offer more RAID options with better reliability, quicker rebuilding and better repair features as well as less time reconstructing if for example a RAID 5 disk fails etc.

Like Lsdmeasap says, Acronis will handle arrays without issue. The actual hardware will take care of re-distributing/striping the data when an image is restored. As far as Acronis is concerned it sees the array as just any other HDD partition. There may be issues if using "Sector by Sector" restore modes but I recommend using the plain "File Copy" mode, including all partitions, MBR and Track 0 in the restore. This results in a bootable array/ OS partition and unlike a Sector by Sector, free space is not "backed up" in the image meaning archives are smaller.

Obviously for your OS partition you can use a Full Backup or an Incremental, but for the RAID1 or if going purely for 1+0/RAID10 on the entire capacity of the drives, definitely use incremental. This will add just the changes to a backup image and dramatically cut the time needed to complete a backup job.

To restore an image to a failed array, simply make sure the array is back up and nothing is at fault, place the drives in the desired RAID config with the stripe size you want (128K is probably the best and should be fastest) and restore away.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

I am not sure what you mean when you say 0+1 with 4 disks you cannot do on the matrix ICH? I guess it is due to I am not clear on what all arrays are what likely. You can use 4 disks, and make two arrays (0 array and 1 array) as I said above, this is part of the Matrix's selling point I believe. I know I have done it just like that, with 2, 3, and 4 disks.

However what I was suggesting and have used, the RAID 0 array and a second RAID 1 array, all backups and such were made by me manually. The second array was just that, a second array I used to store things on just in case.

I do unserstand RAID 10 is a different array though, I get that part of all our talks. What I never get is RAID 0+1 or RAID 1+0. I always just assume this is 2 separate arrays when dealing with ICH10R because that is how I have used it.

You are right, RAID can get very confusing. And yes, I have spent some time at storagereview.com - RAID Levels in Depth, too much info for me until I buy a $200-300 card

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information