Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to enable ahci after windwos 7 installation

Default how to enable ahci after windwos 7 installation

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci
    5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
    After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.
    I’ve simplified the steps by Microsoft by exporting the registry key. Just download the following file and run it. You’ll still need to go through the steps of restarting your computer and enabling AHCI in the BIOS.
    Hopefully, you’ll find a somewhat noticeable improvement in multitasking, specially if you’re a notebook user. Of course with the variety of PC hardware, experience many vary.

Read more: http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/#ixzz0YC3pZ4NY

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: how to enable ahci after windwos 7 installation

Just FYI, for anyone using Vista or Windows 7 you do not need any registry file imports if you are comfortable editing the registry.

You can enable things so you can switch from IDE to AHCI or RAID, and even use RAID mode with one disk. All you need to do is make the following changes

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV

Wonder if someone can help me on this too. Just finished building a new sys. GA-p55-UD4p mobo with i5/750 cpu. Have win 7 64 bit installed. When I installed it, I followed the mobo instructions and installed AHCI and RAID drivers. I have 3 raid 0 arrays running on the system now.

I elected to use a single solid state drive, connected to SATA port 0, as my main/"C" drive. Everything seems to work but when the machine boots up, I see a message on the post screen that "AHCI bios was not installed".

I cant find anywhere that seems to show me if the C drive is running under AHCI or IDE mode.

Question becomes...

1. How do I verify that the C drive is running under AHCI mode?
    2. If not, how do I turn it on once the OS is installed (as I said, I did install the drivers during OS installation...used the ones from the Gigabyte CD, copied to USB stck, pointed to them during OS install etc....followed right by the mobo manual).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just search Device Manager in your Start Search. Look down the list for Storage Controllers. Double click it to see a list of what is installed.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Just FYI, for anyone using Vista or Windows 7 you do not need any registry file imports if you are comfortable editing the registry.

You can enable things so you can switch from IDE to AHCI or RAID, and even use RAID mode with one disk. All you need to do is make the following changes

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV
    Really quickly, do I need to set the registry values to 0 for ALL the reg lines listed above? I followed a similar set of instructions found on another site (I think Gigabyte's forums) and it was suggested that I only need to edit only one of them. I tried and did with one of them and it seemed to work. Do I still need to edit the values for these other two? Thanks in advance.

i have the reg tweak in a reg file allready done for windows xp too and ich10r chipset if anyone wants it
    Last edited by warren300; 03-26-2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Quote Originally Posted by mattboyd33 View Post
    Really quickly, do I need to set the registry values to 0 for ALL the reg lines listed above? I followed a similar set of instructions found on another site (I think Gigabyte's forums) and it was suggested that I only need to edit only one of them. I tried and did with one of them and it seemed to work. Do I still need to edit the values for these other two? Thanks in advance.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start

^^^ just set that one to 0 to enable ahci,set it to 0 and reboot then set ahci in bios and its done
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mattboyd33 View Post
    Na, you only "need" the one you want to use, those are just to enable all modes mentioned above the edits (IDE/AHCI/RAID) so you can boot with any setting

The instruction (first post) worked for me. Thanks!
    (low-cost rig :)
    Core i5 750 (Stock speed, Turbo Boost enabled)
    Gigabyte P55-UD3P (F3 BIOS)
    Powercolor PCS HD4850 1GB (idle temp: 46ºC, load @ 61ºC, with additional chassis fan, load @ 52ºC )
    AData 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333
    Philips Brilliance 230CI 23" Full HD
    Windows 7 Ult / Ubuntu Karmic 64-bit

I tried this on my wifes machine that has Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit upgraded from Vista 64. I installed Vista by mistake with IDE/Enhanced instead of RAID like I wanted to incase I ever put in a raid array in her machine. I was just going to change it to AHCI for now though and it wont do it for me. It gets to the Windows boot up logo and it starts to do its spin together thing and then it just reboots.

So I have to change it back to IDE/Enhanced again to get it to boot up normally again.

Any ideas how I can fix this without a reload of the OS? (Honestly I been wanting to reload this machine forever but she wont let me because of all the stuff she has installed on it for her photography business, she is scared )

Motherboard is an ASUS Rampage Formula Intel x48 chipset with ICH9 controller
    Last edited by MaverickSY19; 04-25-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information