Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lsdmeasap please: overclocking help

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Lsdmeasap please: overclocking help

Well I wasn't trying to not help you, just was unsure what you needed help with.

If you want a explanation of what each setting is I can't do that as it would take me forever and it would be like witting a guide which could take a week to do. If you need a few settings explained that I can do no problem.

If you need suggestions for settings to use, that I can also do without issue. If this is the case please give me your current settings in a template and I will advise back. Please do let me know what issue you are having with the settings you post, or what you are trying to achieve.

I do get what you mean about images, it is just much easier for me to help if you use a template as I can see every setting you are using in one screen without scrolling around or looking back, and I can easily change or advise and post back all in one small page as well.

I know lsd no worries mate, I had to outline what I'm after and that can sound clinical sorry. I know if I give you the facts rather than truncated anecdotes you and your overclocking expert friends can help me with chapter and verse for this mobo. Trouble is, chapter and verse can look forbidding sorry :)

If you want a explanation of what each setting is I can't do that as it would take me forever

Yes I've never seen so many BIOS pages. And pages :)

Not at all mate, just the settings but with reference to the fields that appear in BIOS settings (which can change perhaps in BIOS versions, things may go missing or appear) I'm an electronics and computing technician (first computer, kit of parts shipped from USA, soldering job, BASIC computer, 16KB) for about two hundred years and I understand motherboards and wotnot. But that's like being a general auto technician tuning a Harley. Talk to Harley people before tampering! :) With the BIOS pages posted up there things should be easier for people who're following along meaning to start overclocking the Gigabyte system

please give me your current settings in a template

Great idea thanks lsd I'll take BIOS shots again and this time make a template I can show you guys. My first post I think asked anyone if they'd found a BIOS settings printout, I knew it'd be useful. I'm being lazy but I will do that. Hmm the pipe > function he said, musing, going back in time. No that way lies madness :)

if you use a template as I can see every setting you are using in one screen without scrolling around or looking back

Yep thanks will do

I might mention that above I explained about how I open two copies of my browser with the BIOS shots running in one window so then I have the BIOS shots in one window and this thread open in the other. But you'd want to up-smack my head I bet so I won't mention that. British humour sorry :) and btw please don't be put off by people from UK who can be a bit saucy but all in good fun and good Mess banter :)

Waz I've set up as per your sheet yesterday thanks mate and all was running well for many hours (Dragon Age: Origins again) but I'm at work now so when I get in I'll make that useful template from my BIOS for general inspection

Thanks very much both!

Peter
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
    BFG GeForce 285 GTX 195.62 WHQL drivers
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

Ya I can help with settings for sure, just please use the template.

As for BIOS settings explained, did you read the older boards sticky guide? Just wondering as many of them are covered in it. Of course yes there are many new settings in X58 boards, so if you are unsure about what a few are ask away and I will explain

Thanks again lsd. I've prepared a template as you advised for the GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS settings, below

I must say that overclockers.co.uk are really good and supportive, they sent me very speedily the guaranteed overclock (for my particular bundled system only) profile

Of course the machine wouldn't boot up after loading the overclocked settings from a USB pen (back on yesterday's profile) - I remembered that the RELIABLE profile supplied by OCUK is probably meant to be added to a machine on default BIOS settings, I'd been tweaking: so I'll do a BIOS reset in a day or two and add that 4GHz profile

I'll come back for advice please lsd and wazza when the smoke clears (rush on right now) and add my settings to the template, I'll extract the info from the RELIABLE profile: this template of all the relevant overclocking BIOS settings below will need dropping into a table for individual use

I've got the 640x480 shots of the BIOS settings if anyone would like a copy. Why only 640x480? Anti-aliasing :)

Aaggh no tabbing allowed, so bold juicy bits

Peter

GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS settings

CPU CLock Ratio
    CPU Frequency
    Advanced CPU Features

CPU CLock Ratio
    CPU Frequency
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech.
    CPU Cores Enabled
    CPU Multi-Threading
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
    C3/C6/C7 State Support
    CPU Thermal Monitor
    CPU EIST Function
    Bi-Directional PROCHDT
    Virtualization Technology
    UnCore & QPI Features
    QPI CLock Ratio
    QPI Link Speed
    Uncore Clock Ratio
    Uncore Frequency
    Isochronous Support
    Advanced Clock Control
    >>>>> Standard Clock Control
    Base Clock(BCLK) Control
    BCLK Frequency(MHz)
    PCI Express Frequency(MHz)
    C.I.A.2
    >>>>> Advanced Clock Control
    CPU Clock Drive
    PCI Express Clock Drive
    CPU Clock Skew
    IOH Clock Skew
    Performance Enhance
    Standard
    Turbo
    Extreme
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)
    Auto
    or add 2 each time until
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)
    Auto
    Quick
    Expert
    [picked = Quick]
    Profile DDR Voltage
    Profile QPI Voltage
    >>>>> Channel A
    CAS Latency Time
    tRCD
    tRP
    tRAS
    Command Rate(CMD)
    [Repeated for Channels B and C]
    Advanced DRAM features
    Performance Enhance
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)
    Memory Frequency(MHz)
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)
    Profile DDR Voltage
    Profile QPI Voltage
    Channel Interleaving
    Rank Interleaving
    Channel A Timing Settings
    Channel A Turnaround Settings
    [Repeated for Channels B and C]
    Channel A Timing Settings
    >>>>> Channel A Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time
    tRCD
    tRP
    tRAS
    >>>>> Channel A Advanced Timing Control
    tRC
    tRRD
    tWTR
    tWR
    tWTP
    tWL
    tRFC
    tRTP
    tFAW
    Command Rate(CMD)
    >>>>> Channel A Misc Timing Control
    B2B CAS Delay
    Round Trip Latency
    Advanced Voltage Control
    Load-Line Calibration
    CPU Vcore
    QPI/Vtt Voltage
    CPU PLL
    PCIE
    QPI PLL
    IOH Core
    ICH I/O
    ICH Core
    DRAM Voltage
    DRAM Termination
    Ch-A Data Vref.
    CH-B Data Vref.
    CH-C Data Vref.
    Ch-A Address Vref.
    Ch-B Address Vref.
    Ch-C Address Vref.
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

What? They sent you a Guaranteed overclock right? But then you say only with default settings, that is a contradiction as you cannot overclock on defaults so what is that supposed to mean? :)

No settings entered? Guess you have not had time yet eh? It would be easier for you and me if you used the template provided in my signature though.

Anyway, get us your settings when you get a chance and we will advise back

What? They sent you a Guaranteed overclock right?

A profile for my guaranteed 4GHz bundle yes

But then you say only with default settings

Only with default settings- What? :)

that is a contradiction as you cannot overclock on defaults so what is that supposed to mean? :)

I reset BIOS and when I looked for the OCUK profile it wasn't in there, I did something stupid for sure

No settings entered? Guess you have not had time yet eh? It would be easier for you and me if you used the template provided in my signature though.

When I applied the OCUK overclock profile and booted up I got the 'NTLDR Is Missing Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete' error message so in a panic I reapplied my latest profile while I thought it over

But then after sleeping on it I realised that the error was a simple one to fix using Repair on the Win7 DVD, or more likely it was simply that the wrong drive was being selected to boot from. (I noticed that in Windows now I've got a floppy drive when I always disable that, so I know that my BIOS settings are a bit of a mixture and will need setting up again)

I'll apply the OCUK profile, but not before tonight when I have an online gaming meet. Never do anything drastic just before an online meet if everything's working ok, my tried-and-tested motto :)

Anyway, get us your settings when you get a chance and we will advise back

Will do lsd, thanks again your advice is much appreciated

Peter
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

Ahh, well I think your comments confused me maybe? I thought they sent you a new overclock profile or settings, but then only said overclock is only guaranteed at stock settings... Which sounded crazy

NTLDR missing means your hard drive was not at the top of the disk boot priority. All you needed to do is go into the Advanced BIOS Page, then into Hard Disk Boot Priority and move your disk to the top of that list. More changes would be needed if you use RAID, if so let me know and I will tell you.

Good luck at your gaming meet!!!

Ahh, well I think your comments confused me maybe?

My unedited in-writing comments directly above? Heaven forfend :)

I thought they sent you a new overclock profile or settings, but then only said overclock is only guaranteed at stock settings... Which sounded crazy

Yes it does and I could not agree with you more. This means that one of us must be stone bonkers *looks sideways* :)

Peter
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

Ahh, so they did actually say that then right? If so, yeapers, it is not one of use that is crazy, but them instead!

We of course know if you want to overclock you cannot use defaults! I guess I kind of understand what they are saying, just they cannot guarantee your overclock will be stable. I get that, but they should not say to use defaults at the same time as sending you a overclock profile or settings list as that is just plain silly!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information