Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

Default Re: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

Yep, the "wrong gender" one you saw is probably to convert a PS2 mouse to USB, ie it plugs into a USB slot using a male end and has a female PS2 port. The male PS2/female USB are available too. Depending where you live you could perhaps pick one up from Tandy/Radio Shack etc if you don't want to pay P&P from an internet order.

Getting a converter will mean that now and in the future you won't be restricted by only being able to buy PS2 mice. As you know virtually all modern mice are USB.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Yep, the "wrong gender" one you saw is probably to convert a PS2 mouse to USB, ie it plugs into a USB slot using a male end and has a female PS2 port. The male PS2/female USB are available too. Depending where you live you could perhaps pick one up from Tandy/Radio Shack etc if you don't want to pay P&P from an internet order.

Getting a converter will mean that now and in the future you won't be restricted by only being able to buy PS2 mice. As you know virtually all modern mice are USB.
    Psycho101,

You're right, that is the adapter I had.

Fortunately (or maybe NOT ) there is a Fry's and Microcenter close by. It's been a while since I've had a PS2 mouse - I had to borrow one for this testing. Sure don't want to start using a ball mouse again.

As tested so far, my board with a real PS2 mouse in the PS2 port does work fine to show a DOS program mouse cursor. If I can get a USB mouse to work well with a PS2 port adapter AND show the mouse cursor, then I'm good.

But your board works with a USB mouse in the native USB port so what's up with the P55-UD4P? Guess we'll see what happens in a future BIOS rev.

Thanks,
    George

It could be a BIOS bug with your P55. It may also be that specific mouse. It obviously won't let you use that mouse either way, but testing with another USB poiniting device would eliminate the peripheral as the problem. I've encountered a couple of USB wireless mice (transponder was USB to RF/BlueTooth) that wouldn't work in DOS. Other mice (USB) worked perfect.

From what I know of Frys/Microcentre, other than the occasional special offer they're pretty poor value for money. They are however pretty god for ancilaries such as adapters, SATA/IDE cables etc.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinGeo View Post
    Psycho101,

You're right, that is the adapter I had.

Fortunately (or maybe NOT ) there is a Fry's and Microcenter close by. It's been a while since I've had a PS2 mouse - I had to borrow one for this testing. Sure don't want to start using a ball mouse again.

As tested so far, my board with a real PS2 mouse in the PS2 port does work fine to show a DOS program mouse cursor. If I can get a USB mouse to work well with a PS2 port adapter AND show the mouse cursor, then I'm good.

But your board works with a USB mouse in the native USB port so what's up with the P55-UD4P? Guess we'll see what happens in a future BIOS rev.

Thanks,
    George
    Where do you live? Most online shops would also carry these for only a few $, ebay also has them if you use ebay.

PS/2 mice are not all balls, only old or cheap one. There is MANY PS/2 mice that are optical and laser.

Sorry I have not had a chance to test Ghost yet, please send me a PM reminder so I test this for you tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Where do you live? Most online shops would also carry these for only a few $, ebay also has them if you use ebay.

PS/2 mice are not all balls, only old or cheap one. There is MANY PS/2 mice that are optical and laser.

Sorry I have not had a chance to test Ghost yet, please send me a PM reminder so I test this for you tonight
    Hi Lsdmeasap,

I live in Campbell, CA (San Jose, CA).

UPDATE:
    I tried this Microsoft USB to PS2 adapter ...

... with a USB mouse (Dell, Logitech and Microsoft) plugged into the PS2 port on the P55-UD4P motherboard. Result = No mouse cursor in DOS Ghost. I then tried a real PS2 ball mouse (real meaning comes with PS2 connector) and the cursor worked fine in DOS Ghost.

The links you sent in the PM all point to Microsoft mice that are USB with an included USB to PS2 adapter (looks just like the adapter I tried) so I doubt they will work for me in DOS Ghost.

At this point if I could find a true PS2 (meaning no adapter just a PS2 connector) optical mouse, I'd give it a try. But all I can find in optical are USB mice with a PS2 adapter, which probably won't work.

So I am thinking my m-board or current BIOS (tried them all from factory F3 to F6) isn't going to give me a mouse cursor in DOS Ghost with a USB mouse in any form, adapter or not.

Since Psycho101 reported he DOES get a mouse cursor in DOS Ghost, Acronis with a USB mouse and his m-board, is there hope?

Can anyone else give feedback on this concern with their motherboard?

Thanks,
    George

Ya, I sent you another PM. I will do some testing this week if I get time, if not for sure this weekend.

I always use keyboard navigation in Ghost anyway, is there a reason you are concerned with using a mouse?

Ya, it very well could be the board, since these are so new it will take some time before the BIOS is updated to be compatible with more things. Send in a report and they may try to get it added for the next round of updates >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Be sure you mentioned the mouse brands and models, and that they do not work in Boot menus and F8 Last known good, ect screens. Tell them you know it is a BIOS compatibility issue and you would like them to forward the issue to the BIOS Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, I sent you another PM. I will do some testing this week if I get time, if not for sure this weekend.

I always use keyboard navigation in Ghost anyway, is there a reason you are concerned with using a mouse?

Ya, it very well could be the board, since these are so new it will take some time before the BIOS is updated to be compatible with more things. Send in a report and they may try to get it added for the next round of updates >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Be sure you mentioned the mouse brands and models, and that they do not work in Boot menus and F8 Last known good, ect screens. Tell them you know it is a BIOS compatibility issue and you would like them to forward the issue to the BIOS Engineers
    Thanks Lsdmeasap,

I've used keyboard nav in Ghost for many years, just recently got used to the convenience of the mouse.

The fact that my Fry's 'deal-of-the-day' $70 ECS/Phenom X3/Nvidia chipset combo board and processor support USB mice in DOS Ghost as well as my old P4 ECS board, make me curious why my higher end Giga board won't.

Thanks for the link, I'll send a message to the Technical Service Zone.

George

They just need to add whatever mouse to the BIOS compatibility is all, then it would work fine. Getting them to do so with a off brand or rarely used device may be tough to do though.

Plan to test tonight as I need to get a few things moved around in my case for my upcoming move to my RocketFish that I am almost done with now. So I will let you know, I have several MS mice here and a few logitech and other random cheapo's I will test with on X58

FYI

I need to clarify my issue. All along I have been referring to 'no mouse cursor' in DOS programs (like Ghost). What I meant is no mouse cursor movement or control. There is a mouse cursor on the screen, planted firmly in the center, it just won't respond to the physical mouse movement unless I use a true PS2 connector mouse. Any USB mouse or USB mouse with PS2 adapter will not move the cursor.

In fact, even with NO mouse plugged in at all there is still a motionless mouse cursor in the center of the screen (??).

George

Hmm, well I actually never see the mouse cursor if it is not going to work, and of course then only see a cursor when it does work.

Here, I made you a special Win98 SE boot disk floppy creator, with added mouse support and a separate bootable ISO with mouse support.

Both tested with the mice I mentioned to you, and neither work for USB mice plugged into a USB port (I think due to my mice not being made compatible/added to the BIOS by Gigabyte). They both however do work fine with USB mice using a USB to PS/2 adapter like shown above, tested with several MS and Dell/HP mice and all worked just fine.

Ghost + Mouse Support ISO & Floppy Win98 Creator

Ghost+Mouse.ISO.FloppyWin98.zip

Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qo42jwmytrt

This should definitely help you if your adapter is not working already for you, just either create your DOS Disk with the file I made for you, or boot from the ISO (No DOS load needed)

See you all later tonight, just got back from being out of town and thought I would drop this file in for you I made last night, before I get to unpacking the car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information