Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

Default Re: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm, well I actually never see the mouse cursor if it is not going to work, and of course then only see a cursor when it does work.

Here, I made you a special Win98 SE boot disk floppy creator, with added mouse support and a separate bootable ISO with mouse support.

Both tested with the mice I mentioned to you, and neither work for USB mice plugged into a USB port (I think due to my mice not being made compatible/added to the BIOS by Gigabyte). They both however do work fine with USB mice using a USB to PS/2 adapter like shown above, tested with several MS and Dell/HP mice and all worked just fine.

Ghost + Mouse Support ISO & Floppy Win98 Creator

Ghost+Mouse.ISO.FloppyWin98.zip

Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qo42jwmytrt
    This should definitely help you if your adapter is not working already for you, just either create your DOS Disk with the file I made for you, or boot from the ISO (No DOS load needed)

See you all later tonight, just got back from being out of town and thought I would drop this file in for you I made last night, before I get to unpacking the car.
    Holy cow, Lsdmeasap! You are phenomenal and I thank you very much for your time and effort. I get the feeling you never sleep! :)

I haven't made further progress (real life getting in the way of fun). Unfortunately, I am floppy-less on my new system. The Ghost ISO booted with errors and froze before completing the GUI load. But I will convert the Floppy to a boot-able USB and give your suggestions a try.

Thanks again,
    George

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Anytime man, ya I often do not get enough sleep actually!

Hmm ISO works fine here, but ya you should be fine with making the floppy into USB anyway, let me know how that works for you.

If you do not have any luck making the Floppy into USB. All you should need to do is just copy the files onto a USB, and be sure you copy the autoexec.bat file over if you already have a bootable USB because you would need to use mine instead of the normal one to load the mouse driver.

If you don't have any luck with that, let me know and I will make you a new creator that will allow you to install that directly to USB. I may have set that one to be able to create on USB, sorry can't remember. If it wont and you have issues let me know and I will make you a new one, or a new ISO

Any problems with making a USB stick bootable, have a look here: Making A Usb Bootdisk - Scenyx Entertainment Community

The HP USB tool needs to be pointed toward a set of boot files (Win98 ones included in the link). Note that it will only coppy the essential boot files from the directory (Command.com, msdos.sys etc, etc) so you'll need to copy over the rest including format.exe, chkdsk, CD ROM files etc.

With a tweaked autoexec you can have the USB key boot to Ghost direct, as Lsdmeasap says or you can execute Ghost as any other DOS based program.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Just be sure you move over the files from the one I made, including mouse.com and autoexec.bat or it will not load the mouse driver.

Psycho, I made a special floppy creator for him with mouse drivers and ramdisk, that is why I explained things as I did above, and assumed he knew how to make a USB Floppy.

I just check anyway, and I did leave the option open to install to USB, so the floppy creator I posted will create a bootable USB stick as well, so no need for any of what we mentioned above, just use the creator and point it to your USB

Oh I see. I missed that bit. I got the cold from hell atm. Sounds like he's OK for getting a bootable USB key sorted. Just posted that utility because it's helped me out ion the past. It's also possible to substitute the Win98 files for those included on downloaded floppy making kits, allowing one to create a bootable key if the supplied utility fails. this happened to me when creating an AV rescue disk. I used the HP tool and the AV files instead and it worked great.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

I thought you might have, that's why I posted a bit more for you so we did not confuse him about it all :)

I made it starting with Win98 SE, added a ram disk, Mouse support and Fdisk

Sounds like the optimal choice of programs etc. The RAM disk is handy to contain all the utilities too. This sounds similar to the Windows ME rescue disk, but no doubt more reliable (we all know what Windows ME was like).
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Unhappy UPDATE: Re: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

Got an answer from Gigabyte and it isn't hopeful. :(

I've tried even more combinations of keyboards and mice and still not a single one provides a movable mouse cursor in DOS Ghost, Acronis.

Ironically, I just did a motherboard/cpu combo upgrade for my son's computer using a MSI motherboard and of course his works fine with ANY USB mouse in DOS based programs.

George

Answer : since those are dos based applications there maybe conflicts, you will need to use an PS/2 or different USB keyboard/mouse combo.

Question - 855651
    Sent : 12/24/2009 23:00
    Question : Happy Holidays!

My question concerns the USB mouse cursor in DOS with the GA-P55-UD4P motherboard. I use DOS programs (Ghost, Acronis, etc.) often. When using a USB mouse, I do not get a cursor. If I use a PS2 mouse (true PS2 mouse with PS2 connector) I do get a mouse cursor with DOS programs.

I have tried:
    1) USB mice from Dell, Logitech and Microsoft
    2) Mouse drivers; MS mouse.com 6.12, 6.30, 8.20, 8.20; ctmouse.com 1.92, 2.0a4, 2.1b4.
    3) Different versions of DOS: 6.22, 7

None of these combination's yield a movable mouse cursor, although ctmouse.com does plot an unmovable mouse cursor in the center of the screen. I have tried each of the USB mice in the motherboard PS2 port with a PS2 to USB adapter (from Microsoft) and still no movable mouse cursor in DOS programs.

All USB settings in the BIOS (USB Controllers, USB Legacy Function, USB Storage Function) are enabled.

I started a thread on the TweakTown Gigabyte forum: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...b-mouse-36625/

One poster did report he is able to get a DOS mouse cursor with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard and the general feeling is my concern is a BIOS related issue.

The other systems I have (based on motherboards from ECS, ASUS and DELL) all function fine with a mouse cursor in DOS programs using a USB mouse.

What is needed for a BIOS to support a DOS mouse cursor with a USB mouse? Can this support be added to a future BIOS revision for the P55-UD4P motherboard?

Thank you for your support.

George Gillespie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information