Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

Question Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

I gave myself an early Xmas present of an i5-750 teamed with a Gigabyte P55-UD4P mobo. Gotta say it's a very nice upgrade and working well.

I haven't begun to attempt any performance tweaking but I'm reading up on everything I can find on overclocking (lots of great info here, for sure!).

My question now is about getting a USB mouse to show up in DOS Ghost. The USB keyboard works fine but I do miss being able to use a mouse. The old ECS AMD system I have works fine with a USB mouse in DOS Ghost, as do all the Dell's I've tried at work. For some reason I can't land on a combination of settings with the Gigabyte motherboard that allow me to use the USB mouse. I've tried the exact mice that work on the ECS, but no change. Using a PS2 mouse with DOS Ghost on the Gigabyte board DOES work fine - mouse cursor present and usable.

Does your Gigabyte mobo work with a USB mouse in DOS Ghost (or similar program)?

I have USB Legacy Function and USB Storage Function both enabled (as well as USB Controllers). Same behavior with F3 (factory BIOS), the F4 betas, F4 and F5 BIOS.

Of course this is hardly a big deal. More a convenience issue and a curiosity.

Thanks,
    George

Default Re: Gigabyte Mobos, DOS & USB Mouse?

its likely a bios issue and youl have to wait till a new bios comes out to update compatability,did you enable usb mouse in bios? thers a few options just check each bios page n makesure you havnt missed it,also you can purchase fairly cheaply a usb to ps2 adaptor and plug it in the ps2socket
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

+ 1 ^^

I am going to send in a report this week myself on USB Keyboard issues with X58-UD4P, so I will add your comment to my email.

They will fix it I am sure, you just have to wait for a newer Beta BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Please tell me the model and brand of your keyboard, Thanks
    Lsdmeasap,

It's a Dell USB keyboard - model L100.

I hadn't considered the keyboard. I'll try other USB keyboards as well as a PS2 keyboard in combination with different mice and report back.

Thanks,
    George

Ahh, well I doubt they will look into that then with it being a dell, as they would have to special order it likely if they even could. Your best bet is to just use a USB to PS/2 adapter, let me know if you need a link to buy one.

PS/2 Keyboard will work fine, as will PS/2 mice. It is USB Keyboards that sometimes have compatibility issues and a adapter would solve those most of the time as long as the KB/Mouse is compatible with an adapter which most are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, well I doubt they will look into that then with it being a dell, as they would have to special order it likely if they even could. Your best bet is to just use a USB to PS/2 adapter, let me know if you need a link to buy one.

PS/2 Keyboard will work fine, as will PS/2 mice. It is USB Keyboards that sometimes have compatibility issues and a adapter would solve those most of the time as long as the KB/Mouse is compatible with an adapter which most are.
    Lsdmeasap,

A bit confused about which flavor of adapter you refer to; are you talking about adapting USB Keyboards/mice to the PS2 combo port on the mobo or adapting PS2 keyboards/mice to a USB port on the mobo? I have both but in either case I prefer to steer clear of adapters.

No need for Giga to source a Dell USB keyboard, at least for my concern. For me, both USB or PS2 keyboards work fine - not sure which issue you have with keyboards.

My concern is the with USB mouse in DOS Ghost - no mouse cursor. With a PS2 mouse I get the cursor, with a USB mouse (Dell, Logitech are the ones I have here) I don't get a mouse cursor.

The question I am curious about is:

Does ANYONE with a Gigabyte motherboard (ANY model) get a mouse cursor in DOS Ghost (or other DOS programs) while using a USB mouse?

Thanks,
    George

An adapter is a last ditch attempt to keep your existing mouse I suppose. It will work, and USB to PS2 adapters are perfectly safe etc.

I'm running an EP45-UD3P (P45 chipset, socket 775) and can use my Razor Diamondback USB mose in all DOS based programs I've tried. I don't use Ghost, but have my mouse working in Acronis true Image (boot CD), a low level formatting tool running on PC-DOS, a HDD Acoustic Management program running from a Win 98 Boot Disk (Basically DOS version 7) etc.

Sometimes with Acronis I have to unplug the mouse then plug it back in before the cursor appears, but this is rare.

Is the mouse plugged directly into the motherboard USB ports? If it's in a front port, try swapping it. Shouldn't make any difference but its worth a try as they come from different headers on the motherboard. Also if your Keyboard or monitor have a built in USB hub, you could try plugging it in there. This is how I solved the problem of having all but 1 USB port dead on an old MSI board. The solution was to daisy chain from the working port.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Ya, I was referring to using a USB to PS/2 adapter, to connect your USB mouse to the PS/2 Port.

I can test DOS with an USB mouse if you want, and with a Adapter. I have all that, let me know if you would like me to test.

Last I remember using Ghost DOS 1.44MB I used keyboard only, and don't think I ever remember seeing a mouse, but I have not used it for a long time since it does not support RAID.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Psycho101,

Thanks - that confirms it is possible to see a USB mouse cursor in DOS programs with a Gigabyte board. I've tried Acronis as well, and still have the same issue of no cursor with my mobo. Mouse is plugged directly into mobo, no difference regardless of which port.

Lsdmeasap,

Please do try a USB mouse to PS2 adapter plugged into the PS2 port on the mobo. I looked into it, but my adapter was the wrong gender(s).

If it works maybe that explains why Gigabyte still has a PS2 port on the motherboard(?).

Thanks,
    George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information