Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow USB Flash Pen Drive Boot on EP45-UD3

tsarig is offline Junior Member

Default Slow USB Flash Pen Drive Boot on EP45-UD3

Hi All!

-I'm experiencing a slow boot procedure from my USB pendrive. it is a Corsair Flash Voyager 8Gb.
    -It seems that the BIOS forces it to USB 1.1 or 1.0 speed at POST, although it's plugged to a USB 2.0 port at the back of my PC.
    -For example - it takes ages to boot the "Mini-XP" from the Hiren's Boot CD which I've installed on my pen drive.
    -My motherboard is a new GA-EP45-UD3 1.0 which I've updated to the latest beta F9b BIOS.
    -I've noticed that problem occurs only on all kinds of Gigabyte motherboards.
    -On other,and older motherboards from different manufacturers my pen drive boots at USB 2.0 speeds.
    -I've wrote to Gigabyte and described my problem for them. their response was that it is AWARD fault and not theirs. this is an odd excuse, because some of the motherboards which i've tested my pen drive on, were using AWARD bios and booted my pen drive as fast as hell.

So if any of you could help, I will be most appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Slow USB Flash Pen Drive Boot on EP45-UD3

Do you have Legacy USB Storage detect enabled in the BIOS, and of course USB 1.1-2.0? Just checking

It could be anything, the BIOS itself, the USB Stick, the port used. Have you tried a different USB Stick, or port? Have you tried older BIOSes?

Just so you know, I think Mini-XP does boot slow, even on a CD. Of course I have not tried Hirens version of this lately, as I normally use Digiwiz MiniPE myself when I need a mini XP

Lsdmeasap Thanks for the quick response, Legacy Usb storage detect is turned on otherwise it won't recognize the usb pendrive, and 2.0 support is checked also, I've checked my device using all of the ports,and checked on older BIOSes/ the only thing i wasn't checking is another USB Flash drive but I'm pretty sure that not it's problem - you should have to see the speed differences when it's booting on other PC's - faster than a CD drive, and in my case (or many other GBT boards) - as slow as a floppy drive.

Ya, I thought so. Just had to check.

It could be the flash drive, some work and some do not. I have a few that have issues with Qflash, so not all USB Sticks are fully compatible. So if you do have another try it out and see if you find the same.

Did you test all ports onboard? Even front panel ones? Just thinking of other things you could try.

OK. I will get another usb flash drive and post results ASAP.
    Thanks.

K, Let us know how you get along. Try to borrow one, so you don't buy one for nothing if this is not the issue, or you don't end up buying another incompatible one if that is the issue.

Also try out other methods of booting, such as is is slow when you boot to a USB bootable Memtest86+ or just to DOS? How about a Vista USB Install test?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    K, Let us know how you get along. Try to borrow one, so you don't buy one for nothing if this is not the issue, or you don't end up buying another incompatible one if that is the issue.

Also try out other methods of booting, such as is is slow when you boot to a USB bootable Memtest86+ or just to DOS? How about a Vista USB Install test?
    -Yeah, done that! Win 7 Install takes ages to boot to Installer...

Do you have floppy disabled in the BIOS? If you do not have one connected then please disable this as it will cause any install process to take forever, which may be why your mini XP takes forever to start as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Do you have floppy disabled in the BIOS? If you do not have one connected then please disable this as it will cause any install process to take forever, which may be why your mini XP takes forever to start as well.
    -Floppy was disabled from the 1st moment, I will post later results after I'll borrow friend's usb stick of a few of them.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information