Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot problem

Rubicon1138 is offline Member

Default Re: Boot problem

As far as I can remember it has always been on Bootable Add-in Cards in the Hard Disk Boot Priority and the computer has worked that way. I ran the seatools diagnostic test within this computer and after several attempts it came back saying that there 0 HDDs. I think the test worked under On-Chip SATA Mode Combined. I did not run the test on another computer yet. I did remove the CD/DVD Drive and keeping the SATA drive it did not work either. Also, I would like to mention that I was starting to think that maybe I have a dead HDD. So one link lead to another link and I stumpled upon the fact that the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 have firmware problems and looking at the date code on the drive I discovered that the drive was manufactured on 9/5/2008. Unless you can think of any other alternate reason I am having these problems then I think I can safely assume that it is this HDD. Also looking at my records I purchased this HDD on 2/18/2009, go figure. In the past for instance I have a Maxtor IDE drive which was reconized in the computer via Ubuntu but through Vista it was seen as an invalid disk. But I digress.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It was not, trust me. There had to be a disk at the top of the list, or you would have never booted to windows.

Can you plug this disk into another running computer to see if it is working at all? I would start there, that way you would be sure that none of the BIOS settings are causing this disk to not be seen.

I tried to install the problem disk to another computer but said computer is not working. So I decided to install a new Seagate SATA 160GB HDD into my computer and make a fresh install of vista. With this installation I had SATA2_0 with the cd drive and SATA2_3 with the new HDD. Installation went well with the new HDD visible under Hard Disk Boot Priority as you mentioned before. Then I decided to shut down computer in order to have SATA_0 with new HDD and SATA2_3 with cd drive. After the OS made the neccessary adjustments I shut down computer again in order to finally attach the problem HDD into SATA2_2. As this was booting I went into BIOS and saw that under Hard Disk Boot Priority no HDDs were listed and I exited without saving. When boot was finsihed I got DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER at the end. Also disk priority was CD, HDD, HDD under all situations. So with all 3 situations my OS was working except for the last one.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sounds like this disk is indeed faulty then, that can cause other items to not work properly as well. So sounds like you need to toss that drive or RMA it for a new one.

Problem fixed. At the time I was unaware of the firmware problem in seagate barracuda 7200.11 HDDs. The problem was resolved by unbricking the HDD and I was able to finally able to boot from it's OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information