Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot problem

Rubicon1138 is offline Member

Default Boot problem

I am not sure if my GA-G31M-S2L is the cause of my start up problems but I thought I ask. My desktop doesn't boot up properly because it stalls at "memory runs at dual channel interleaved" and at "Boot from CD/DVD" it stalls again asking "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". Also I've tried the seatools diagnostic it stalls at "Scanning for devices on Intel ICH7..." I have tried using the startup repair and nothing really happens. Also I've tried Ubuntu and it stops saying that it gives up.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Boot problem

What BIOS settings are you using, and what BIOS version?

What disks and CD drives do you have, and what ports (Color and #) are the connected to?

I mean what BIOS settings for these settings. Edit the image and post back if you like, or write them out for me. >>

And what do you have set as the first device INSIDE the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu, in Advanced BIOS settings? Not the first, second, third, device entries, I mean the Hard Disk Boot Priority entry at the top of the Advanced BIOS page. Just so we are clear.

Had you been using this system or disk previously and it just quit on you, or are you trying to make a new build? If you are building a new system, is this disk used or new? If used, by you or purchased used? If purchased used can you test it in another system? If purchased new you may need to use Seagate Disk Wizard to set it up for first system use, which formats it and sets it active. Some disks need this before you can use them and some do not.

If SATA please also check for and remove any jumpers found on the back of the drive, they are small so look close

No jumpers on SATA Drives. Hard Disk Priority set to Bootable Add-in Cards also CDROM, HDD, HDD priority list if need be.
    BIOS Version F5D
    On-Chip Primary PCI IDE Enabled
    On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE Enabled
    On-Chip SATA Mode Auto
    PATA IDE Set to Disabled
    SATA Port0/2 Set to Ch.0 Master/Slave
    SATA Port1/3 Set to Ch.1 Master/Slave

CD Drive is HP1070 Lightscribe into SATAI1 also have Gigabyte G-Quad/S-series Intel 3-Series Utility CD.
    HDD is at SATAI2

When I puchased this motherboard a relative of mine built the desktop computer in 6/08, hence switching from Win XP to Vista. About 6-8 months ago I puchased the Barracuda 7200.11 750GB Drive which was partitioned into a C drive of 100 and the rest at 650GB. About a month or so ago Win update was trying to install 2 major updates without success, I don't know why but perhaps due to BIOS settings or version. Since computer was built I had a hard time reading into some old IDE drives with Win but were readable with Ubuntu. Other IDE drives were also unreadable but that may be due to a computer crash in 12/06 with XP.
    Last edited by Rubicon1138; 12-04-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: mistake made

Well you want CD, then Hard drive in your boot priority list

Why SARA port 0/2 disabled? This should be where your OS is installed. OS Disk should be in SATA2_0

DO you need anything on the drive? A clean install may be easiest to fix this. Remove all drives now though and put your OS Drive into SATA2_0 and try and run the diagnostics tools on it, be sure to enable that setting first though.

Please review, I made a mistake.

So did you move your OS disk to SATA2_0 yet? If not please do and try again.

You may also then need to test On-Chip SATA Mode Combined, then Enhanced

C drive was moved to SATA2_0 AND CDROM to _1. Then I set to combined and it booted a lot faster but with the DISK FAILURE message. With enhanced it booted slower but still faster than before these changes and with DISK FAILURE message at the end. Just in case C drive is a partitioned drive with only win vista os running no other os in the computer.
    Last edited by Rubicon1138; 12-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.

CD drive please put on SATA2_3

Then go into Advanced BIOS page, then into the first item "Hard Disk Boot Priority" and move your OS drive to the top of that list.

Then it should boot fine, as long as your OS install is not damaged or your disk is not faulty

I have set the CD Drive as you suggested but when I enter Hard Disk Boot Priority the only option I have is Bootable Add-in Cards. Is that OK?

No, that is not ok. You should see your hard drives listed.

Can you test your hard drive in another machine to be sure it is not faulty? If so, or if you can test from DOS with this machine please use this tool >>
    | Seagate

Do you have these same issues with the BIOS and or booting, if you remove the CD/DVD Drive and only have the SATA Connected?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information