Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need help setting up RAID 0 on ep45-ud3p

Default Need help setting up RAID 0 on ep45-ud3p

I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a single WD Black 640G drive using AHCI mode on the controlers.. I use Acronis TrueImage 2010 to do backups. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage program and drivers and did a full backup.

I bought another WD Black 640G drive went into the BIOS and set the ports to RAID(XHD?).. I am using SATA2_0 and SATA_2 for the WD 640's and my DVD drive on SATA2_5..

I hit control-i on boot and made a RAID0 array using all space. I restored the backup image to the array. Every thing worked so far without a issue. When I try and boot off the array windows 7 tries to start with it's pretty 4 color balls turning into a window.. but it blue screens right there.

I then tried to use a Windows 7 DVD and go into repair mode.. load the 64 bit RAID drivers and try and repair... still same issue.

What am I doing wrong? I wish to migrate from none RAID to RAID using a restore. I do not want to do another full install if I can at all avoid it.

-Devoh
    Antec P180 case
    Intel E8500 E0 Stepping
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 BIOS F10j
    Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120!! Do NOT try and save a few bucks with your cooler.
    Crucial Ballistic PC6400 cas 4 memory 2 x 2G
    2 x WD Black Edition 640G 32Megs cache 7200RPM
    XFX Geforce 260/216 Black Edition
    Corsair TX650W
    Running on 64 bit Win 7 (AHCI mode)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Need help setting up RAID 0 on ep45-ud3p

First off you should have your hard drives in SATA2-) and SATA2_1, and your CD/DVD Drive in SATA2_5 as you have it already, but please move your disk drives to the proper place before you setup a RAID Array.

It could just be your disks are not in the correct places, or it could be Acronis is failing to restore for you properly.

If you continue to have the same issue after moving the drives I would suggest you delete the array and go back to one disk for a minute. Then restore to that drive alone again and make sure all is ok. Once you are sure, do A backup with Drive Snapshot and then redo your array and restore the snapshot image to the array. I find this program works much easier than acronis when trying to do what you are doing.
    Drive Snapshot - Disk Image Backup for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/X64

Another thing you may check, and then go single again, then backup with acronis and try again is the following Registry settings. They should be set to zero, I think maybe your iastorV is not set properly so it wont boot. Likely it is set to 4, just make all the changes below and then do a new backup from single install and then try to restore that to a RAID Array

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Do I need to mess with a BartPE disk? I am using just the standard Acronis boot media using the "Full" mode over safe.
    Antec P180 case
    Intel E8500 E0 Stepping
    Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120!! Do NOT try and save a few bucks with your cooler.
    Corsair TX650W

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    First off you should have your hard drives in SATA2-) and SATA2_1, and your CD/DVD Drive in SATA2_5 as you have it already, but please move your disk drives to the proper place before you setup a RAID Array.

It could just be your disks are not in the correct places, or it could be Acronis is failing to restore for you properly.

If you continue to have the same issue after moving the drives I would suggest you delete the array and go back to one disk for a minute. Then restore to that drive alone again and make sure all is ok. Once you are sure, do A backup with Drive Snapshot and then redo your array and restore the snapshot image to the array. I find this program works much easier than acronis when trying to do what you are doing.
    Drive Snapshot - Disk Image Backup for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/X64

Another thing you may check, and then go single again, then backup with acronis and try again is the following Registry settings. They should be set to zero, I think maybe your iastorV is not set properly so it wont boot. Likely it is set to 4, just make all the changes below and then do a new backup from single install and then try to restore that to a RAID Array

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    I set them that way because I saw in another RAID post you told a guy to use those ports... don't remember the motherboard he was using.. What is the difference? Any bandwith benefits?

Also I found that
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start
    was set to 3 so I set it to 0.

Now to make another backup.

-Devoh
    Antec P180 case
    Intel E8500 E0 Stepping
    Corsair TX650W

Lsd,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start being set to 3 was the issue. Thanks!! I would still like to know if changing to ports SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 would make any difference?

Here are my performance numbers using HD Tach 3.0.4.0....

single WD Black 640
    avg read 101MB/sec
    Random Access 12.9

2x WD Black 640
    Raid 1 with out cache..
    avg read 94.7 MB/sec
    Random access 13.8

2x WD Black 640
    Raid 1 with cache on
    avg read 94.8MB/sec
    Random access 13.5

2x WD Black 640
    Raid 0 with cache off
    avg read 170.6MB/sec
    Random access 14.7

2x WD Black 640
    Raid0 - with cache on
    avg read 189.1MB/sec
    Random access 13.1
    cpu jumped to 10% utilized.. could be a fluke

I did't expect to lose read speed with Raid1.. write speed yes, but not read.. weird. I would think the read speed would be about the same as RAID0.. not less than even a single drive.

-Devoh
    Last edited by devoh; 12-04-2009 at 05:52 AM.
    Antec P180 case
    Intel E8500 E0 Stepping
    Corsair TX650W

Glad to hear the tweak saved you time in setting this all up!

What? You should be using SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 for your array, I thought we discussed this?

RAID 0 would be my choice, all looks normal to me

Right we did discuss using SATA2_0 and SATA2_1. I was just curious why you recommend them as it also worked with SATA2_0 and SATA_2.

-Devoh
    Antec P180 case
    Intel E8500 E0 Stepping
    Corsair TX650W

Because that is how the universe asks things to be done

Na, it's just the correct way of doing things. Of course incorrect ways of doing many things may work, but are not suggested as they may cause you issues later on

Thread Information