Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard noob - unsure on correct settings, please enlighten me!

Default Motherboard noob - unsure on correct settings, please enlighten me!

Hi everyone

I've had a bit of a saga with a Gigabyte GA-EX-UD5 which I bought yesterday.

I originally paired it with a Samsung F3 HDD as a boot drive but unfortunately they wouldn't work together...some random incompatibility.

Today I decided to use a Crucial SSD (wanted one for ages!) and that's worked fine, I am currently typing this in a shiny new install of Windows 7.

I am using the PC as a work machine, games machine and HTPC all rolled into one and have taken advantage of the fact the motherboard has 10 SATA slots - I have 9 HDDs mounted in there.

BUT...(here's my question)

I can't seem to see the drives that are plugged into the secondary G0-3 SATA connectors, it doesn't even detect them on POST.

I've looked in the BIOS but that doesn't seem to show any options for enabling those ports.

Can anyone give me a hint as to what I am doing wrong and how I can fix it?

Also, without realising I installed Windows with all the drives set to IDE, I have since read that AHPC (think that's the correct abbreviation), should be used instead and it can't really be activated after the OS install.

Should I be using that? What settings should I use and will I need to reinstall my OS? (Not a major issue, I only installed it this afternoon).

Many many thanks for any replies, they really will help as I'm a bit stuck at the moment!

Default Re: Motherboard noob - unsure on correct settings, please enlighten me!

what bios version are you using? do you still have the samsung f3 drive? udating to latest beat bios on main page may fix all your issues but DONT flash using @bios if it goes wrong youll need to rma the board read on how to flash using q-flash on the main page and update to latest bios version
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also ahci will enable advanced sata features like hot plugging and native command queing,you can just unplug and plug in a hard drive without powering off pc,vista and win7 have ahci drivers built in but for xp youll need to download a third party driver and install it first before the operating system as you cant switch from ide/sata to ahci...and youll need to select ahci in bios and re-install win7 again
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Thanks for the replies, that's really helpful :)

Can you tell me what settings I need to change in the BIOS to enable AHCI properly? It seems to be mentioned twice, should I change both from IDE to AHCI?

Don't worry about the F3s now, I'm using an SSD which I much prefer anyway :)

Could you tell me how I enable the secondary G 0-3 SATA ports though? I'll reinstall later today, is that something I need to enable before installing Windows?

Many thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Please explain to me your activation issue again, I am unsure what you mean because BIOS settings do not have anything to do with OS activation. Not sure what AHPC is though, if that is what you meant. Please explain further

To enable AHCI you simply set the following settings, which will also enable your Gigabyte/J.Micron Ports (White). OS drive should be on SATA2_0 and your CD/DVD Drive should be on SATA2_5

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE << Can be ACHI As well, but does not need to be and may cause issues as well for some devices.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you may have read my post wrong, I don't have any Windows activation issues, I did have a problem with Windows 7 installation recognising Samsung F3 HDDs but thankfully that's sorted now.

Unfortunately I think I have a bigger problem, as I think the JMicron SATA connectors (G0-3 - the white ones) could be faulty as I've tried plugging two different HDDs into them, on separate power and SATA cables and none of them are showing up :(

Any suggestions as to what I might have not enabled to make them work?

Thumbs up Re: Motherboard noob - unsure on correct settings, please enlighten me!

The plot thickens...

OK... I've been doing some back to basics trouble shooting... i.e. pluging in drives one at a time into blue SATA and grey GSATA ports...

My new F3's reformatted on this rig *shrugs* are now working in both blue and grey SATA ports.
    My new but formatted on previous rig 1.5TB green western digitals are working in both ports.
    However my F1s (which have all my media files... photos, vids etc...from my previous rig) will only work in the blues and not the greys.

I just don't get it..!

the grey ones are for raid setup i think
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, some BIOS only have RAID for the White ports, what does your Integrated Peripherals BIOS page look like? Can you post a pic, or list your options for the middle SATA settings?

Thanks for the posts guys, sorry for the delayed reply, it's been very hectic lately. I've actually got it working now, though in a strange roundabout way - make of it what you will... My Samsung F1 drives wouldn't be recognised on the G0-3 connectors at all. So I have primary (blue) SATA ports x1 SSD x1 LG Blu-Ray burner X4 Samsung F1 1TB Hdds And x2 Western Digital 1.5TB drive x2 Samsung F3 1TB on the JMicron SATA ports. The really weird thing is that in the BIOS controller five is still showing as empy, the drives aren't detected but it boots and works fine with them...I can't work that one out!!! But it works at least :) Any thoughts on why it's weird like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information