Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EP43-UD3L New Build - Fans Spin but No Post

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP43-UD3L New Build - Fans Spin but No Post

You can short the pins to start the board, use a screwdriver and touch the pins together with it. That or you could also set the board on a box or wooden table close to the case and make it close enough that you can still wire up the power switch if you do not want to short the pins yourself

I advise you do this and get the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray. Then try start it with only one stick of ram in slot one, your CPU/Heatsink, and the GFX Card. NOTHING else, this will eliminate shorts and other faulty hardware.

Did you check for bent pins in the CPU Socket? This is what you should check next. Also what cooler are you using, are you sure it is not causing a short on the front ot back of the board? If you are unsure try booting with the Intel Stock cooler

A tiny update.The board is out of the case and on cardboard. I have totally removed the battery and put on a cmos reset connector that I had from a old junked motherboard. Its been on for about a hour now (the cmos connector to reset the cmos). So now its the bare motherboard with cmos battery out and cmos reset connecter attached. Does the reset of cmos help anything?

I remember when I had cmos problems with my own board using the reset connector straightened it out. I also pulled Xigmatek S-963S heatsink off and made sure the CPU was installed correct as it is basically keyed to install correctly anyways. I did not notice any defects on the board up reinspection of the board front and back which I did carefully. Will board and peripheral component fans spin up even if there is no CPU present? Also thanks for the heads up on being able to short the power switch to get the board jump started so to speak. Its saves hassle in troubleshooting the issue of connecting the power supply connector from the case which is relatively short so to speak (i.e. long enough to connect inside the case only) I must say, I really enjoy you all sharing your trouble shooting knowledge with me as it improves my skills and for that I say thank you.

Mark
    Last edited by maestromark; 12-07-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Yes, resetting the CMOS can often help with various issues.

No, you must have a CPU installed and memory for the board to start. Good luck with the testing and please do let us know how you get along.

Hey, did you check the CPU Socket for bent pins? If not you may want to do that as well while you have it out of the case. Keyed install on the CPU is important but I am saying to actually look at the socket pins to be sure none are bent, broken, or out of alignment

Just a side question does the P4 connector relating to the power supply have to be used (it is used on my computer) as his power supply cabling does not have sufficient length to spread to where the P4 connector is related to the main connector, because of sleeving of the cable causing the issue. I will also check on the pins on the cpu extremely carefully as per your advice and get back to you. Also how long should the cmos reset connector be on as to totally clear the cmos?

Mark
    Last edited by maestromark; 12-07-2009 at 02:15 AM.

YES you MUST use a 4 Pin ATX 12V CPU power connection or a 8pin EPS 12V CPU plug, or the board will not start. You will need to arrange the wires so you can connect this or you will not be able to use the system

20 minutes should be fine to clear it, sometimes it only takes a few minutes or seconds though and other times it may take much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    YES you MUST use a 4 Pin ATX 12V CPU power connection or a 8pin EPS 12V CPU plug, or the board will not start. You will need to arrange the wires so you can connect this or you will not be able to use the system

20 minutes should be fine to clear it, sometimes it only takes a few minutes or seconds though and other times it may take much longer.
    Well with that being said (about the P4 connector which that PS has) that MIGHT be the solution to the problem. I could not connect that P4 connector when I first put the Mobo in the case and hence the start of this thread. So I will have to figure out the wiring situation with his PS connector and report back. I am very glad, I asked about that connector or perhaps I would be trying to this new build to pieces. The PS in question is a Corsair TX750 and can I use a EPS 8 pin where there is only a P4-4 Pin connector and have the 4 of the 8 pin EPS connector unused on the P4 connector and not have shorting issues or what not. I have to say the knowledge I am gaining rules this is so interesting.

Mark
    Last edited by maestromark; 12-07-2009 at 04:48 AM.

That 8 pin plug you mention should be able to split into 4x2 and one of those would only plug in the board one way. Please look at the plug and you should see how it splits into two parts. Be sure you are not looking at the PCIE Cables, they should split into 6 and 2 pins. Just saying that to be sure you are not confusing those 8 pins with the CPU one when trying to split into 4x2

It is this PSU Correct?
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

You are going to have to make this cable reach or buy an extension (Not suggested) as the board will not function without it connected.

That 8 pin plug you mention should be able to split into 4x2 and one of those would only plug in the board one way. Please look at the plug and you should see how it splits into two parts. Be sure you are not looking at the PCIE Cables, they should split into 6 and 2 pins. Just saying that to be sure you are not confusing those 8 pins with the CPU one when trying to split into 4x2

It is this PSU Correct?
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

You are going to have to make this cable reach or buy an extension (Not suggested) as the board will not function without it connected.
    Hi Again,

Yes that is the exact Power Supply . I have found 4 PCI-E 6+2 pin connectors and I have found 1 connector that is a 8 pin (12v EPS Connector you were talking about I think) that can be split into 2 separate 4 pin connectors I believe this is what I am looking for but confirmation would be helpful BEFORE, I put everything back together and see if I can get this setup going and move on. I have also tried successfully to split that 8 pin into 2 sets of 4 pin which it split by a press lock connector and I tried one of the 4 pin connectors into the P4 connector and it fit perfectly. I am 85-90% we got this pinned down and sorted.

I had no power attached to the PS or board when I tried. Just need confirmation I am on the right track and I will proceed with moving forward. As with each reply thank you.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by maestromark; 12-08-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Yes the 8 pin EPS 12V is the one that should split into 4x2, and only one side of that should fit into a 4 pin slot on the board like you did already.

Sounds like you should be good to go now

Yes the 8 pin EPS 12V is the one that should split into 4x2, and only one side of that should fit into a 4 pin slot on the board like you did already.

Sounds like you should be good to go now
    We are indeed good to go it POSTed right up and finally adding the remaining components and do stability testing and tweaking and case closed.

Thank You to all who responded to this thread very much.
    Last edited by maestromark; 12-08-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information