Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realtek 8111DL XP vs Vista issues

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Realtek 8111DL XP vs Vista issues

All tests since manually removing drivers and reinstalling latest realtek drivers show no packet loss.
    Still wish i knew why latency (in games) are so much higher than when i boot from XP and join same servers.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great to hear!

XP is not the same as Vista/Windows 7 as you know, the network protocols are handled very differently. Do you still see the lag if you disable IPv6? Have you tested an increased TCPIP yet?

Realtek NIC drivers rely to a certain extent on CPU cycles to mannage connection traffic. The NIC onboard solutions usually sacrafice processing power for cheapness, as they can simply off load to the machines CPU if needed. While this means that the NIC gets the needed processing power, latency may suffer due to the increased steps needed to process each packet.

It was likely from your issue that the XP drivers you were using were extremely well optimized but the Vista 64 drivers were not. Poor optimisation coupled with the fact that WoW is a very CPU intensive Game combined to cause your issues.(used to play myself, Lvl 80 SPriest, Lvl80 DK, Lvl 80 Arms Warrior, Lvl69 Rogue [Combat Swords] ).

If you'd still like to uncap your connection limit, I've atatched a little tool that makes it very easy, uncapping and then resigning the driver using its own digital signature. I've used it on Vista 64 and Windows & (7100, RC and Final) without issue. This in itself shouldn't make a difference with just WoW using your connection, but if you like to use IM, Bittorrent or even use TeamSpeak, it can definitely help.

Edit: You need to right click and "Run as Administrator" to use the patcher.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I know I'm opening an old post, but for gaming latency have you tried the gaming fix:

SpeedGuide.net :: Windows 7, Vista, 2008 Tweaks

Look under the gaming tweak section. It helped my lag issues in games considerably when running under Win7. The Leatrix fix also implements the first of the two tweaks stated in the guide above.

As for the XP vs vista packet loss, I just posted an article about my experiences with it in the networking section. Somewhat similar to your packet loss issue, but the packet loss I've encountered doesn't go away with newer drivers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information