Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unstable GA-EP45-UD3P with Kingston ValueRAM

Question Unstable GA-EP45-UD3P with Kingston ValueRAM

I'm trying to get my new system working and could use some advice on how to proceed (RMA?).

Basically, when I run Windows Memory Diagnostics (which doesn’t actually run under Windows, but boots from a CD), it always hangs/crashes at the beginning of the “Stride6” test. When I try memtest86+, half of the time it crashes when it starts. Windows 7 installation hangs/crashes during “Expanding Windows files”.

I am not trying to overclock at all, just want to get a stable system.

System

GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, BIOS version FB (there is a newer version, but it doesn't seem to be related to this issue)
    Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
    PS: Nexus Value 430
    Kingston ValueRAM (see below for more info)

Memory

I’ve tried two sets of 2x1GB memory: Kingston KVR800D2N6K2/2G (CAS 6) and KVR800D2N5K2/2G (CAS 5). Both of these memory are on the Supported Memory List. The memory passes memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostics fine in another system.

I’ve tried only using slots 1&3 or 2&4 and that didn’t seem to make a difference. I also tried only using one stick of 1GB and trying each of the slots, but that didn’t make a difference either.

BIOS settings

I tried the following, none of which helped:
    • I tried “Load Fail-Safe Defaults” or “Load Optimized Defaults”.
    • I tried setting Performance Enhance to Standard.
    • I tried setting the System Memory Multiplier to 2.00B to run the memory at 667MHz.
    • I tried explicitly setting the DRAM timing to 5/5/5/18 (info from the SPD)
    • I tried explicitly setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.800V (as well as DRAM Termination/Channel A/B Reference to 0.900V)
    • I tried disabling CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
    • I tried disabling CPU EIST Function
    CPU cooling

When the crash/hang occurs, I check the temps in the BIOS and the CPU has only gone up to 40 degrees C, so I don’t think there’s any cooling issue. I also tried running the CPU fan and exhaust fan on max and that didn’t help.

Video card

I’ve even swapped out the video card and that didn’t help either.

I am especially surprised that two different matched pairs of memory (both which are on the Supported Memory List) do not appear to work right with this motherboard. I’d appreciate any suggestions before I RMA the motherboard. Is this a bad motherboard? Or perhaps there’s some “known-good” memory that people have actually used in their systems?

Thanks,

A Gigabyte user since 1999 when I built a Dual Celeron machine

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Unstable GA-EP45-UD3P with Kingston ValueRAM

Just to be clear, no memory stick work in any of the slots?

Between FB and FD there was FC that listed fix for memory compatibility issies, I also read some users have problems with FD so maybe better not to rush and update.

Try to play with MCH Core, 0.95-1.2v, leave all other settings on auto after loading optimied defaults.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Just to be clear, no memory stick work in any of the slots?
    When I used a single memory stick in any of the slots, I would be able to boot up, but I still encountered hangs in Windows Memory Diagnostics and memtest86+.

I will experiment with the MCH Core voltage. Thanks.

DCA, Is that memtest86+v4.00? Cool its just very interesting that you use Windows Memory Diagnostics. I use that too, but i only used it twice. and memtest86+2.11 then I updated to v4.00 early october of 09. Memtest86+Version 4.00 does the passes so very much quicker!

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Try to play with MCH Core, 0.95-1.2v, leave all other settings on auto after loading optimied defaults.
    I totally agree with what Chike said.
    Last edited by R_Hollandtekk; 12-06-2009 at 12:05 PM.

p45 ud3p 1.6 fb stable but fd fails or is it just my ocz incompatibility?!? This guy has problems uniquely similar to mine. I'm starting to think this ocz brand is just not that great. JR P45 driving me crazy!

MB Rev: ga-ep45-ud3p 1.6 Bios Ver: fd
    Cpu:E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB
    Ram:OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
    PSU:Antec EA500
    Chipset: Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX
    SB: TT Extreme Spirit II

DCA, Is that memtest86+v4.00?
    Yes, memtest86+ v4.00 just downloaded this afternoon. The system is so flaky that sometimes memtest86+ v4.00 passes no problem, then sometimes it crashes/hangs immediately on startup.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Ok, I tried all values (inclusive) 0.95V-1.2V for MCH Core and all of them had the same behavior (crashing/hanging at the start of the Stride6 test in Windows Memory Diagnostics). Hmm...

My favorite bios is FDa. It was the easiest for me to get 800mhz running. And it was very stable at 800mhz.

Post#44 Does this interest you?

because i used mixed and matched ram and it worked. Maybe this bios can make your problem go away?

Just read the last half of the post, no need to read the early part.
    Last edited by R_Hollandtekk; 12-06-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks everyone for the continued replies.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Hollandtekk View Post
    My favorite bios is FDa. It was the easiest for me to get 800mhz running. And it was very stable at 800mhz. I hope this helps you.
    So you're suggesting version FD on this page?

Post#44 Does this interest you? Just read the last half of the post, no need to read the early part.
    Not sure what you mean, are you suggesting G.Skill and OCZ as brands of memory that work, or BIOS version FD? (Not sure what the difference is between 'FD' and 'FDa')

Thanks again for all the help.

Fda from http://forums.tweaktown.com/277052-post204.html GA-EP45-UD3P(1.6) - FDa. If you have tried everything else and you are interested in flashing. There is an excellent thread stickied at the top of this forum. np.
    Last edited by R_Hollandtekk; 12-06-2009 at 12:34 PM.

p45 ud3p 1.6 fb stable but fd fails or is it just my ocz incompatibility?!? This guy has problems uniquely similar to mine. I'm starting to think this ocz brand is just not that great. JR P45 driving me crazy!

MB Rev: ga-ep45-ud3p 1.6 Bios Ver: fd
    Cpu:E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB
    Ram:OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
    PSU:Antec EA500
    Chipset: Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX
    SB: TT Extreme Spirit II

Fda from http://forums.tweaktown.com/277052-post204.html GA-EP45-UD3P(1.6) - FDa. If you have tried everything else and you are interested in flashing. There is an excellent thread stickied at the top of this forum. np.
    Thanks, I tried both the FD and FDa BIOS versions, tweaking MCH Core and nothing seemed to help.

I'm open to suggestions from anyone...

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information