Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Updates of Intel RAID BIOS posible?

Default Updates of Intel RAID BIOS posible?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to update the Intel Raid BIOS on a
    GA-EX58-UD5? The boot screen indicates the following info:
    ATA AHCI BIOS
    ISRC 1.01

I have had several issues with my RAID 1 array becomming corrupted when I attempt to use the floppy drive. It's also happened when I've had to reboot the machine with the reset button after Vista (or some other program) has frozen the system.

I am presently using the Intel Matrix Storage Console v8.8.0.1009. I know there are later versions, however I have read many reports that they are buggier than the what I've got now...
    packrat

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    G. Skill DDR3-1600 2048MB X3
    BFG Nvidia GTX 280 OC2
    Seagate ST332062AS X 2 RAID 1
    POS Hitachi Super Scan Elite 21
    Vista 64 Ultimate (yeah I know...)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Updates of Intel RAID BIOS posible?

Yes, it can be done manually by editing the BIOS files, but this is not something a normal user should do or attempt to do.

You should be using AHCI isrc 1.20E, sounds like you need to update your BIOS Is all. Gigabyte updated this long ago, not sure exactly which BIOS it started in so I just suggest you update to the latest BIOS >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Be sure you read this guide since you are using RAID or your arrays will become corrupted if you update improperly >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Sounds like you also may need some BIOS settings adjusted, if you want me to help with that please grab a template from my signature and give me your BIOS settings and full specs after you update your BIOS and get things going again

So,

Are you saying that the Intel BIOS part of the Gigabyte BIOS? That I can update...
    packrat

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    BFG Nvidia GTX 280 OC2

Yes, the Intel RAID ROM, what you see when you go into the RAID BIOS (Control + I), is part of the Gigabyte BIOS.

It can be updated by a user, if you know how to do so and have an updated file. I however cannot advise you on doing that because it can kill your board and void your warranty if something goes wrong with your edited BIOS.

The UD5 BIOS has an up to date ROM anyway, do you need a newer one than what is in the latest BIOS?

If that one is not new enough for you I could mod you one with 8.0.0.1039 if you wanted, but that would be up to you to flash with. I do them all the time, but of course you would have to be responsible in deciding to flash a mod'd BIOS should something go wrong.

Your corruption when crashing, or forced reset, is normal, this is why it is important to get your system 100% Stable. Do you need help with your settings? If so I can help for sure

Sorry to quote you here, but you brought up too many questions to ignore...

Yes, the Intel RAID ROM, what you see when you go into the RAID BIOS (Control + I), is part of the Gigabyte BIOS.

Ok, so it's been a while since I updated this board's BIOS. It arrived as an F4 and I brought it up to F7x. I know that the current (beta) BIOS is F9 something. If this will update the Intel BIOS with the Gigabyte BIOS I can do that.

It can be updated by a user, if you know how to do so and have an updated file. I however cannot advise you on doing that because it can kill your board and void your warranty if something goes wrong with your edited BIOS.

Do you mean editing the (binary) Gigabyte BIOS and inserting/changing data? That is beyond what I am comfortable with.

The UD5 BIOS has an up to date ROM anyway, do you need a newer one than what is in the latest BIOS?

I was not aware there was a ROM involved, unless that is the "fallback" BIOS if an upgrade fails and corrupts the "working" BIOS. This sounds interesting and I would be willing to hear more in any case.

If that one is not new enough for you I could mod you one with 8.0.0.1039 if you wanted, but that would be up to you to flash with. I do them all the time, but of course you would have to be responsible in deciding to flash a mod'd BIOS should something go wrong.

I am not familiar with the 8.xxxxx number here. Is that the latest version of my ISRC 1.01 08042006 6.0.1.5794? If there are know issues that are repaired or corrected that would be good. If there are more features, that would be a bonus.

Your corruption when crashing, or forced reset, is normal, this is why it is important to get your system 100% Stable. Do you need help with your settings? If so I can help for sure

As far as I can tell, my system has been very stable (for Vista 64). Several times however, as I was attempting to format and write to a floppy disk (creating a boot disk for a Linux machine), and something bad would happen to my boot volume. I never did track down the actual culprit, but there seemed to be a direct correlation between RAID problems and using the floppy drive. I have not wanted to mess things up, so it's been 6 months or so since I did this.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    BFG Nvidia GTX 280 OC2

Yes, if you update to the latest BIOS the Intel ROM is already updated. Be sure to read this for safety tips on flashing with RAID Setups >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Yes, I meant physically modifying an original Gigabyte BIOS manually. This is not needed though if you just update to the latest BIOS, I only mentioned this because I was unsure if that is what you were originally asking or not.

A ROM is a Section/Part of the BIOS itself, there are several ROM modules within a BIOS for various items.

8.xxxxx number here. Is that the latest version of my ISRC 1.01 08042006 6.0.1.5794
    Your version in the above is 6.0.1.5794. If you update to the latest BIOS it will then be iSRC 1.20E 8.0.0.1039

Go ahead and update with the latest BIOS per the above guide, then give me your settings once you adjust them all again and I will advise back. Template to do so is in my signature, maybe your issues really just stem from improper settings.

I will be back later tonight or early tomorrow morning, heading into work now though.

BE SURE you read the above guide and follow steps closely for RAID or you will corrupt your array

Thread Information