Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EX58-DS4 vs. EVGA GTX295

Default EX58-DS4 vs. EVGA GTX295

G'day, I'm running an i7 920, 6gb of elixir, and up until now an Inno3d GTX260 on my EX58-DS4. Today I went to throw in my new EVGA GTX 295 only to get a no-vga (long short short) beep code.

I put the GTX260 back in and flashed the bios to the latest official release. After loading optimised defaults and rebooting, I shut down the PC and swapped the GTX295 back in, success! A single beep and the PC springs into life.

All is fine until I get a message saying "copying bios to backup" and the pc restarts, at which point I once again get the no vga beep code. So after clearing cmos, unplugging drives etc in case it's a power issue (shouldn't be, corsair hx 620), I threw the gtx260 back in, it posted right away.

So I updated to the latest unofficial bios revision (f8f), still the same issue.

So basically now, if I start the machine with the 260, shut it down, swap it for the 295, it'll start fine. However if I restart the machine with the 295 in it (including cold boot), I get a no vga beep code... Am I missing something here? This card is dual gpu so do I perhaps need to adjust some kind of setting?

Someone please help, I'm lost, it sucks having that kind of horsepower sitting here un-usable.
    Last edited by camstatic; 12-07-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: EX58-DS4 vs. EVGA GTX295

Update: Also tried posting with no, 1, 2, and 3 sticks, no sticks giving no beeps, other configurations still throwing the no vga beep. This card was recently proved as being fully functional in another machine also.

Update2: Just played Crysis for quite a bit at maximum settings with no signs of instability, Cryostasis techdemo etc...

Still get the no vga beeps if I restart/start the machine without swapping the gtx260 in and out first.

Anyone?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You sure your PSU is good enough? When you tested in another machine, was it with a better or larger PSU?

Could be a BIOS issue, but it would be nice to rule out this PSU First before looking into the BIOS.

If you cannot try another PSU, please try going in the BIOS (Newest preferably) and adjusting the ICH Voltages and save/apply F10 and reboot back to the BIOS then shut down and install the new card. Try these adjustments >>

MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... << Set 1.54-1.58
    QPI PLL 1.100v .......................
    IOH Core 1.100v ..................... << Set 1.2-1/24
    ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... << Set 1.58
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................ << Set 1.14-1.2

Also be sure you have correctly set "Init First Display" in Advanced BIOS page, for the first PCIE Slot you would set PEG

Yeah the PSU is fine, was exactly the same one... With a single rail current of 50A continuous on the 12v. Also when it actually runs, it runs very well, without a hitch, over 2 hours of crysis on max detail...

Thank you for the reply, I'll give those settings a shot asap and post back, I really hope this works, I'm running out of options here...

Ya, then it sounds like the PSU is a non issue then.

Let us know if those settings help you or not, if not you may need to send in a report and ask if this board/BIOS has been tested with that card >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

If you do, please let us know their response

I've already fired them off a support request with the original forum post pasted in there, I'll ask when they respond. Speaking of which, how long is the average wait for a response?

Cool, good luck with the voltage tweak testing.

Normally they take 1-3 business days to respond, so if you have waited that long already send in a new report or make a new post to your current one

Tried those tweaks, at first all settings on the lowest in range you specified, got the same old no-vga error. I also tried middle and highest, neither yielding a positive result, although I did get a system notice saying my system had become unstable when I set everything to the maximum you specified. Anything else in mind?

Sounds like it may be a BIOS issue then, hopefully they will respond to you soon.

Do you see the same results if you try the other PCIE slot? Since you crashed the BIOS, please load optimized defaults again and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS before making any new changes. If you are using RAID be sure you read this guide before doing so >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Have you tried clearing the CMOS since you updated to the latest BIOS? If not you may want to give that a try as well, using the long method outlined in post # 2 in the above linked thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information