Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

Unhappy EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

I built this system in early August (2009) originally with 2 sticks of RAM (Patriot Viper DDR2 4GB kit 5-5-5-15 1066 MHz - PVS24G8500ELKR2) RAM and immediately loaded the optimised defaults in the BIOS - everything set to auto, no overclocking at all. I then proceeded to install Windows 7 RC 64 Bit. After the Windows 7 install I then installed the other two sticks of RAM to bring the system up to a total of 8GB. After a week or so I upgraded the BIOS to F9.

The system was rock solid for about a month and then BSODs started occurring regularly. These included Stop 1A, 0A, and 50 mainly. After consulting numerous posts from Prof. Jim, chike, LSDMEASAP and others I decided to run Memtest+ 86 4.00 for about 4-6 passes on each stick of RAM individually in each socket. Memtest 86+ showed errors on each stick in each socket.

I then made the following BIOS config changes so that a single stick of RAM in Socket 1 would pass 4-6 Memtest+ passes. In the process I tried MCH core voltages from 1.05 through to 1.40V.

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.20B
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core……………........................: 1.050V

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……......................: 2.1V

Advanced Settings
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

I then gradually added back in the RAM sticks until they were all error free after 4-6 Memtest+ Passes and 3 hours of OCCT testing. Unfortunately when back running under Windows the BSODs returned when my son was playing a simple game that uses Adobe Flash Player. To get the system stable I set the System Memory Multiplier to 2.40B to manually set the Memory Frequency at 800 Mhz and then changed the standard timings to 6-6-6-18.

The system was completely stable for 2.5 months and then last week the BSODs started again... once again Stop 1A, 0A, and 50 mainly. I then re-ran Memtest 86+ 4.00 overnight and no errors were reported. The BSODs continued so I removed two sticks of RAM from the system and the BSODs occurred again even in the Windows 7 Recovery Console and in Windows 7 Safe Mode.

After a couple of days the system froze at the BIOS logo screen. After shutting it down and switching off the power for 5 minutes I was able to get back into the BIOS. I then removed the second stick of RAM and the system then booted up and ran for about 10 minutes before yet another BSOD - Stop 1A. The system was then shut down overnight. The next day the system would not POST. Basically when switched on the system runs for about 2 seconds and shuts down over and over in a loop - note the CPU cooler FAN moves only momentarily and then stops when the system is switched on.

I've now removed all connections from the power supply except the Motherboard, Video Card, and CPU Cooler. Same result as before. I've also reset the Motherboard's CMOS both by shorting the jumper pins and by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery. I've even tried a new CMOS battery. I've also reseated the Video Card and rechecked all power connections to the Motherboard. I've also purchased a PC case speaker as the Antec P183 does not have one. When switched on the PC speaker makes a short noise (not a beep) then a pause, and then another short beep. This would seem to indicate a CMOS setting error if I've read the motherboard manual correctly. However, I can't get back into the BIOS to check the CMOS settings... which should have been reset to the defaults when I removed the CMOS battery earlier.

I understand that from reading many posts on this forum that some brands / types of RAM are not compatible with the EP45-UD3P motherboards. Hence I've ordered 2 x G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB kits that most people seem to be able get working as a total of 8GB. If the new RAM doesn't fix the problem I'll try a borrowed Video Card next. After that it will be either replace the PSU and / or RMA the motherboard.

I'm struggling though to understand why in just over a week a perfectly stable system should start a downward spiral that has ended up in it not being able to even POST.

All help is very welcome. Thanks.
    Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz (Stock)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 (F9 BIOS)
    Gigabyte GV-R485OC-1GH (HD4850 1GB DDR3)
    2 x Patriot Viper DDR2 4GB kits 5-5-5-15 1066 MHz (PVS24G8500ELKR2)
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 SATA (WD1001FALS)
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA (WD10EADS)
    Antec P183 (Stock Fans plus one additional Antec TriCool 120mm Fan)
    Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (RTM)
    Samsung SH-S203D SATA DVD/RW
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    Logitech Z4 2+1 Speakers

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

Did you try clearing the CMOS for a long time? Sometimes it takes overnight leaving the jumper on and battery out.

If your new memory works then it is likely that your older memory has went faulty, at least some of it anyway, and may have not been compatible from the get go.

When will your new memory arrive?

Thanks LSDMEASAP for your quick reply. I have now removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard and will leave it out for 24 hours with the jumper in place to perform a long CMOS reset.

The new G.Skill RAM should arrive hopefully either later today or tomorrow (Australian time). A friend is also going to lend me a spare PCIE video card tomorrow so within about 36 hours I should have a status update on this problem.
    Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    Logitech Z4 2+1 Speakers

Great, let us know how all the testing goes! Nice to hear you will have a few spare items to test with, this always helps a lot!

Arrow Re: EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

I left the CMOS battery out of the motherboard for over 24 hours. After I put the CMOS battery back on the motherboard I switched the system on... same result as before. The system switched on for about 2 seconds and then switched off in a continuous loop until I switched the power off at the wall socket or power supply switch.

I then tried in turn replacing the single stick of RAM with 1 stick of known working Kingston DDR2-667 RAM (KTM4982/2G) as my new G.Skill DDR2-1066 RAM has not been delivered yet - same result as before. I then tried my friend's nVidia 7600GS PCIE Video Card... also with the same result as before.

This leaves the Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU and the motherboard as the cause of the problem. Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU or access to one so I've going to have to purchase another one to prove whether the problem is in the PSU or motherboard. I'll try and source a new PSU over the weekend.
    Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    Logitech Z4 2+1 Speakers

Wait for your new memory before purchasing a new PSU as I have seen many issues with 533 and 667 memory, so that may not work to troubleshoot with. If you can, try to find or borrow a stick of 800Mhz 1.8V memory for testing

Seasonic makes good PSU's but that does not mean it is still ok. Anyway you can test this PSU on another system, instead of testing a new one with your system? Just wondered as this may be easier for you to do then borrowing a different PSU. Or test it with a PSU tester to be sure it still is ok?

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my new RAM to be delivered. I'm also hoping to borrow a Corsair TX-650 PSU from an office colleague in the next day or so.
    Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    Logitech Z4 2+1 Speakers

Cool, well good luck and keep us posted on the progress of your testing

Thumbs down Re: EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

Well my new G.Skill RAM finally arrived yesterday. I've just tried the system with one stick of the new RAM in each RAM socket and unfortunately the result is the same as before. I've also tried overnight my friend's Corsair TX-620 PSU... also with the same result... i.e. when switched on the system switches itself off after two seconds... and does this in a loop until I switch off the power... either at the PSU or the wall socket. Now the only things I've got plugged in to the PSU are the motherboard, video card and CPU Fan.

Where to go from here? Is there anything else I should try before I RMA the motherboard or CPU? Or both?
    Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    Logitech Z4 2+1 Speakers

I'd get rid of that MOBO - I had one of those, and it would BSOD at will with a different message/dump almost every time. I swapped everything out RAM, HDs, graphics cards, OSs (tried on on clean installs of both XP and 7) - the ONE variable associated in EVERY instance of BSOD was the EP45-UD3P. Quite simply, it's a MOFO board - at least mine is. I'm so disgusted with it, I'm not going to bother with RMA - once Gigabitten, twice shy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information