Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: i7,EP55-UD4P VERY SLOW POST AND BOOT

Default i7,EP55-UD4P VERY SLOW POST AND BOOT

I recently built a new system using the components listed in my signature below. Average system boot time is almost 5 mins with 4 of those mins being after post, during OS load .
    I have tried reinstaling OS twice. Ive tried boooting with diagnostic startup. Ive tried registry fixing software. Nothing helps. Could this be a BIOS problem?
    Other than super slow boot time the system performs very well. This is my first Core i7 build and benchmarks seem to be where they should. It is very frustrating when trying to overl**** and having to wait 5 mins every time I have to reboot.
    Also I sometimes turn my PC off at night and boot times the next day are about twice as long at 10 mins. During cold boots POST also takes about 5 minutes.
    Please Help!
    > Power Supply: Corsair HX620
    > Mainboard: GA-EP55-UD4P rev 1.0 (F6 BIOS)
    > Processor: Core i7 860 2.8GHz
    > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
    > Physical Memory: 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600MHz F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231278
    > Video Card: EVGA GTX 285(vanilla)
    > HDD: 2 WD Caviar Black 640GB RAID 0
    > DVD-Rom Drive: Asus DRW-2014 DVD/CD RW
    > Monitor Type: HP w2338h
    > Operating System: Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit
    > Chassis: Silverstone Temjin TJ-03

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: i7,EP55-UD4P VERY SLOW POST AND BOOT

Please use the latest BIOS located here, and flash with Qflash NOT @BIOS (Guide link second)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

After your flash be sure you are loading optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS before making changes.

You should have your OS drive (RAID Array) in SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 (Blue), then your CD/DVD Drive in SATA2_5. If you do not have this now you need to move your array into this order, which may mean a reinstall is needed. So if you do need to move them, and need anything on your system make a backup first so you are prepared in case you do need to reinstall which is often the case.

Thanks LSD!

I had RAID HDDs in Sata2_0 and Sata2_1, but DVD Drive in Sata2_2. After moving DVD to Sata2_5, problem solved. I still went ahead and flashed new BIOS version though. Of course I forgot to write down my stable overclocks I had saved and lost them after flashing. Kinda suks but I think Ill live.

Thanks again
    > Physical Memory: 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600MHz F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231278

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great to hear!

Ya, sometimes it is the little things that cause the biggest issues.

I am not sure why Gigabyte does not document what drives should go where, but I do know that if you do not connect them right it can sometimes cause issues.

Keep on tweaking, you will get your overclocks back! If you need anymore help feel free to let us know

Hey LSD

Im dont think moving the DVD drive to SATA2_5 was really the fix for my problem. The slow boot prob started occuring again.

After many, many, many different tests I located the problem to be my external USB connects, as I did not have any of them connected for the tests when I last posted.

I have 3 permanent USB connection(printer, Maxtor 80GB, WD Mybook 1TB). I now have USB devices connected so system boots quickly.

I read somewhere of people having probs with the yellow rear USBs but not using these I still had a problem. When I get time I will try to post some sort of diagram, picture, or explanation of which USB slot and device was causing the issue.

Thread Information