Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: My New Build




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    9

    Default My New Build

    Hi Guys:

    I'm getting ready to build my first rig. I'm not very pc savy so please bear with me if I do not get what you're talking about. The main purpose of this pc is to do gaming, benchmarking, a little bit of video editing, and some photoshop. Here is the list of parts of the build.

    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.6 With FD Bios (I bought this mobo from a friend who decided to go 'bleeding edge' with a new build.)

    CPU: Intel Q9650

    RAM: G. Skill 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1100

    GPU: Diamond HD5850 x2 (crossfire)

    HDD: Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD (Also bought from friend)
    320GB Maxtor HDD Sata II

    CPU Fan: Zalman 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler with Arctic 5 Silver

    PSU: Xigmatek 750W ATX12V

    Well that's the bulk of the build guys. My friend had told me that I will need to change BIOS settings in order to run 8GB of RAM. He suggested that since I'm not very PC savy that I should just use 4GB of the 8GB so I do not have to deal with the headaches of testing which settings work. Unfortunately for myself I had ordered Windows 7 64bit so I would like to use all 8GB. If anyone has a similar setup or using the exact G. Skill RAM I had bought please give me some advice again I apologize if I do not understand what you are talking about. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: My New Build

    Quote Originally Posted by 187 View Post
    My friend had told me that I will need to change BIOS settings in order to run 8GB of RAM.
    There have been threads here involving more than 4 GB of RAM. And there were at least three scenarios:

    • Everything fine without touching BIOS.
    • All ok after some tweaking.
    • Full amount of RAM failed to work, no matter what was changed.

    So I'd try with optimized defaults first.

    PS. Interesting case ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: My New Build

    Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    There have been threads here involving more than 4 GB of RAM. And there were at least three scenarios:

    • Everything fine without touching BIOS.
    • All ok after some tweaking.
    • Full amount of RAM failed to work, no matter what was changed.
    So I'd try with optimized defaults first.

    PS. Interesting case ...
    I spoke with my buddy and he told me to run Memtest86+ V4.0 on all sticks first. He said that he loaded Optimized Settings before he sold me the mobo. He suggested that I test 1 stick at a time on each bank with at least 5 passes, he mentioned it will take a while. So I'll be testing out the RAM and continue reading up on related articles. Thanks for the reply mv2devnull. If you have any suggestions please post. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    J'Habite En Angleterre
    Posts
    2,431

    Default Re: My New Build

    regardlessof what OS you'll be using, dump 4GB and just use 2x2GB sticks instead. eBay the rest. For gaming and ocasional Video/Photo work you really don't need 8GB and will not notice the difference. It's not worth the headache to get them working, if it's even possible.

    If you're planning on over clocking, that CPU cooler will severely limit you. Even if not overclocking, there are much quieter and more efficient options. The 9500A is about 6 years old and was never designed to cool a quad core. It's on offer at the egg for a reason... they want to dump stock. A Core Contact Freezer is much cheaper, quieter and much more effective, $25 after rebate: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks . Add to that a tube of MX-2 and you're away. Certainly not worth buying a 6year old cooler just for some free thermal paste.

    For a new build that's mainly a gaming rig, I usually advise customers to get the most powerful single card they can afford. Crossfire is great however not all games scale well. Crossfiring two recently released cards is also expensive and goes against the key advantage (for me) of Crossfire). I bought my first 4850 for 120 in December 2008 and it was great, ran all my current games at or above 60 FPS, superb. As I started buying more and more recent titles, Batman AA, Fallout 3, FarCry 2 etc I realised I wanted more power so I could push AA and IQ as far as possible. I then bought another card for 60, half the price I paid for the first, extending the useful life of my build by a good 1-1.5 years IMO. A single 5870 will be enough to play every single "Triple A" title being released in 2010 and a bit beond at max detail with decent frame rates. This is on a screen res of 1920x1200 or under. If you game at 2556x1920 then you might want to Crossfire right away. If running a res of 1680x1050, Crossfire is definitely a waste with such powerful cards IMO.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: My New Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    regardlessof what OS you'll be using, dump 4GB and just use 2x2GB sticks instead. eBay the rest. For gaming and ocasional Video/Photo work you really don't need 8GB and will not notice the difference. It's not worth the headache to get them working, if it's even possible.

    If you're planning on over clocking, that CPU cooler will severely limit you. Even if not overclocking, there are much quieter and more efficient options. The 9500A is about 6 years old and was never designed to cool a quad core. It's on offer at the egg for a reason... they want to dump stock. A Core Contact Freezer is much cheaper, quieter and much more effective, $25 after rebate: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks . Add to that a tube of MX-2 and you're away. Certainly not worth buying a 6year old cooler just for some free thermal paste.

    For a new build that's mainly a gaming rig, I usually advise customers to get the most powerful single card they can afford. Crossfire is great however not all games scale well. Crossfiring two recently released cards is also expensive and goes against the key advantage (for me) of Crossfire). I bought my first 4850 for 120 in December 2008 and it was great, ran all my current games at or above 60 FPS, superb. As I started buying more and more recent titles, Batman AA, Fallout 3, FarCry 2 etc I realised I wanted more power so I could push AA and IQ as far as possible. I then bought another card for 60, half the price I paid for the first, extending the useful life of my build by a good 1-1.5 years IMO. A single 5870 will be enough to play every single "Triple A" title being released in 2010 and a bit beond at max detail with decent frame rates. This is on a screen res of 1920x1200 or under. If you game at 2556x1920 then you might want to Crossfire right away. If running a res of 1680x1050, Crossfire is definitely a waste with such powerful cards IMO.
    Thanks for the reply Psycho, I wish I had talked to you first before buying, oh well it's a done deal. I'll replace the CPU cooler when I get paid with the one you pointed out. Since I already have the parts I'll go ahead and make full use of the components that I have. Looking at your sig all I can say is Dang that's quite a system. You have now motivated and inspired me to build a pc like yours. I'm hoping to achieve the most out of my system and any help you can provide is really appreciated. The PC will be connected to a monitor with a max res. of 2256x1920 so I guess I'll be using crossfire. I'll be running memtest when I get home tonight and I'll post back results. Thanks again Psycho. Any and all suggestions are welcome but please note that I'll be using the components that I already have minus the CPU cooler when I get a better one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    J'Habite En Angleterre
    Posts
    2,431

    Default Re: My New Build

    See what your temperatures arelike with the Zalman. If they're high then definitely replace it. If OCing definitely replace it. If you're using the CPU at stock speed you may get away with using it.

    Certainly have a go at getting 8GB going at your chosen CPU and FSB, but don't spend more than a day or so. If at the end of that day, plus 5 passes of Memtest86+ and 12 hours of Prime 95 you're not stable I'd save the headache and remove 4GB. The way DDR2 prices are you should get a decent amount for them on ebay.

    You certainly have all the ingredients for a great PC. Potentially that Q9650 could hit 4GHz +. Aim for around 3.6GHz-3.8GHz with ~DDR-1066, 5-5-5-15 on the RAM and that should be enough CPU power for those cards. If you want to get 4GHz+ then maybe go for a more serious cooler like the TRUE, Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua 120mm Tower or a Corsair H50.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: My New Build

    Thanks for the quick reply psycho. I really want to get this bad boy up and running asap. I'll be stopping by Fry's tonight and see what CPU coolers they have also I'll be buying a case since the one I already have is quite small and with the components that I have heat will build up easily. I'd like to OC the CPU to 3.6~3.8Ghz at the most with the RAM running at the speed you recommend or at least the stock speed. Thanks again Psycho and I hope to have a sig like yours soon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    J'Habite En Angleterre
    Posts
    2,431

    Default Re: My New Build

    Don't rush into buying anything you're not sure of. Unfortunately I've seen many poeple post here and be recommended a new CPU cooler only to buy a worse one as a replacement. Your Zalman will be fine until you can order one of the ones suggested from newegg etc.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: My New Build

    OK, Ill hold off on the cpu cooler for now. I still have to get a case though. The one I'm currently using is this. Too small wouldn't you say? I am able to get all components in there but heat would definetely be a problem wouldn't you say? Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    J'Habite En Angleterre
    Posts
    2,431

    Default Re: My New Build

    As long as the case is well vented I don't see much of a problem with that case. The smaller the case the more times per minute the total volume of air it contains will be replaced with fresh cool air. A small case can often be a cooling advantage if vented well.

    The only thing I would do with the case is try and get a bit more air movement near the expansion slot area. It's not 100% optimal yo have the extraction that low, you really want it up high in the back panel. You can always either cut a 120MM blow hole in the roof and fit a fan or just rest a 120mm fan on top of the HDD cage, leaning back, angled toward the top of the case.

    LianLi also do a series of optional fittings. The small grill to the left on the rear panel, next to the expansion slots takes an assembly with a 120MM fan, pointing thin ways so it is facing the expansion cards. This fan can be set to push cool air onto the cards (drawn in through the rear grill) or to extract warm air (pulled out through the grill). I think the kit costs about $20. it's pretty effective too. I'd have it set to bring air in, other wise you'll be fighting the card fans trying to suck air that you're taking away from them.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •