Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking Help Q8400 and EP45T-UD3P

Default Re: Overclocking Help Q8400 and EP45T-UD3P

Thanks kick, I did wonder about getting the DDR3 but you live and learn right?.
    I would say get your memory working as fast as it will go,while keeping the cpu at stock speed just so you know what its limitations are.
    That will probably take hours of experimentation.

Since you are on the same memory control hub/mch as the rest of us your bandwidth is going to be limited anyway compared to the i5/i7 cpus with the mch on chip.
    So I need to go back to stock frequency on the CPU and test the memory first? Well i know it will do at least 760MHz as it is running there right now. As for the i5/i7, that may be a new future project but my 775 is not compatible with 1366 as you know.
    Leaving the memory aside the cpu will do 3.9 ghz within core volt recommended limits on the ud3 board and 4Ghz+ outside those without going extreme.

Most good aftermarket coolers seem to provide a 10 degree cpu temperature reduction over the intel standard one at big overclocks, but if you arent getting a 35% + overclock over the standard cpu speed ,putting money into one may not do anything.
    3.5GHz is probably the max at where I am looking for, I want to keep it safe as possible without having to increase voltages and so forth. By my calculations a 35% over stock (2.66) will increase to 3.591, do you think the stock cooler can handle this at 165F+ temps safely for this processor?
    Once you know how far you can push the memory ,understress it and start to stress the cpu a bit (mho).

380 x 8 with cpu core locked at 1.2875V in bios is automatically strangling your chip.
    What exactly do you mean by "strangling" it? Is the voltage too low for this kind of speed and core? As I said I am "new" at this and love to learn. I'm not exactly sure "when" I am suppose to start increasing the voltage for the processor or memory and from what I have read increasing the voltage will also make it run hotter? I read in the url i posted above in that setting the voltage will prevent the "auto" to increase it too much and burn out the CPU.
    Since you are running at 380 mhz cpu host frequency at x8 speed and dont have load line calibration enabled you are potentially throttling the cpu.
    Ok, what is Line-Load Calibration? Again thanks alot for the input as it has been very informative
    CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
    Motherboard = Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P BIOS VF7
    Ram = G.Skill DDR3 1333 4GB (PC3 10666)
    Operating System = Windows XP Home SP3
    Storage = Seagate 250GB (ST3250410AS),
    Western Digital 640GB (WDC WD6400AAKS)
    Video Card = PNY Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT 512MB
    Monitor = Hewlett Packard HP 2159m
    Soundcard = Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Power Supply = Zalman ZM600-HP (600 Watt)
    Case = Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case

kick is offline Senior Member

According to your latest posted bios you have manually entered the cpu core V at the chip's VID ,at least my Q8400 VID.
    LLC prevents the cpu voltage dropping too much when the pc is under load.
    It may or may not be necessary depending on individual configurations.

On the temps 165F .that is just under 74C yes? seems a little hot,but is that when you are testing and with what utility?

What is your cpu temp at idle ,what are your core temps at idle with cpu at standard speed .

What are the cpu temps (5 of them) when you put the cpu under some load.

what are the cpu temps at idle and at full load at your best stable overclock.

Could you post the temps in C instead of F to save us converting :)

Im not trying to be down on your board or memory,perhaps odd isnt the right word,rarer is more like it : and with ddr3 you are more future proofedl.
    Advice or "settings I use" will be harder to come by tho.
    All im saying really is the cpu should do 3.5 ghz easily enough once you can get a feel for what the memory will work at.
    You might like to google your memory and the board to see what others get.
    Ive seen some 45T-UD3 posts way back in the forum.

On the cpu cooler I only used the intel one for a day while waiting for my V8 on the Q8200.Then I just did a straight swop for the Q8400 so the 10 degree C temp diff with a good cooler is just "what Ive read",but I would expect to be able to get 3.3G-3.5G on the standard cooler with the Q8400.
    Last edited by kick; 12-12-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks Kick, I think I know what LLC is now but not sure if I need it turned on according to "my" configurations.
    On the temps 165F .that is just under 74C yes? seems a little hot,but is that when you are testing and with what utility?

What is your cpu temp at idle ,what are your core temps at idle with cpu at standard speed .

What are the cpu temps (5 of them) when you put the cpu under some load.

what are the cpu temps at idle and at full load at your best stable overclock.

Could you post the temps in C instead of F to save us converting :)
    Ok here goes, 74C was the highest I saw after running a torture test for about an hour using Prime95, with all cores at 100% and half the RAM being tested.

Standard speed Temps = 0-32C 1-32C 2-37C 3-24C
    Under Load = 0-51C 1-51C 2-48C 3-45C

I am overclocked to 3.04GHz right now and the temps run about 3-5C more when overclocked over standard, not sure on the 5th temp you wanted. The load temps above are from running ConvertXtoDVD, not 100% intensive but keeps my Q8400 running around 50%. Post in C instead of F, man I thought someone would request that eventually, I have noticed lots of posts that include C temps instead of F, and I have no problem doing this for you. I am just use to F, but keeping up with these temps in C will help me to know both.
    According to your latest posted bios you have manually entered the cpu core V at the chip's VID ,at least my Q8400 VID.
    LLC prevents the cpu voltage dropping too much when the pc is under load.
    So do you recommend going with the VID and keeping it manual or setting it a bit higher or put on auto?
    On the cpu cooler I only used the intel one for a day while waiting for my V8 on the Q8200.Then I just did a straight swop for the Q8400 so the 10 degree C temp diff with a good cooler is just "what Ive read",but I would expect to be able to get 3.3G-3.5G on the standard cooler with the Q8400.
    So I take it that you never use the stock HS and fan, only when you have to right? Also, what thermal compound do you recommend?, as I said mine is stock with the stock compound also. Again thanks alot for your input as you have been very helpful and also the only one that has responded

Ok guys, well I decided to try upping the CPU frequency to 400X8 instead of 380, and this gave me...
    CPU speed = 3.2GHz
    FSB = 1600
    DRAM Freq = 800MHz and kept the timings at 9-9-9-24

The strange thing is when I rebooted from the time of the windows logo screen until a usuable desktop was atleast three times as long as with the 380X8 Frequency. So I then rebooted and changed to 425X8 to give me 3.4GHz and changed the RAM to 3:5, which in turn gave me about 422MHz on the RAM, but this was still slower than the original 3.04 and also the FSB increased to 1700MHz, and since this MB is rated for a max of 1600 I wasn't happy with that number. You guys have an idea why increasing the speed would greatly slow down boot times? Thanks.

kick is offline Senior Member

I dont use the intel hs/fan ,cos I dont even have it anymore .
    A friend mailed my Q8400 to me ,i told him to keep the hs and fan to save post costs.

The mbrd is only rated for 1600 mhz fsb..well I suppose mine is too if you look at it like that,400 mhz is the highest latch frequency mentioned.

However if you limit the cpu host frequency (which is actually the fsb and memory host frequency too) to 400mhz the max cpu speed u can attain is 3.2ghz.
    Ive been running my fsb at a minimum of 1960mhz(490x4) for a year now ,with the pc doing work 5-6hrs per day and powered up perhaps 12 hrs a day on average.

above 2000mhz it gets flaky.

74 sounds a lot with prime i was wondering was it more like IBT or linpac.
    however :its not that scary ive seen close to 80 on mine with hard testing,the errors for me occur more a when the northbridge/memory control hub exceeds 42 C.

Your standard temps are v close to mine on 3.9ghz at idle except the 4th temp .
    By the 5 temperatures I mean 1 temperature for each core then a 5th overall cpu temp
    the overall cpu temp is generally the lowest,in my experience it never exceeds the lowest core temp.

The thing is I have no experience of ddr3 memory except in my graphics card.
    Obviously the memory timings are much looser but that is compensated for by the triple data rate.

Bandwidth: 1336 cpus using 3 sticks of ddr3 memory can achieve 25gb/sec data transfer.775 cpu's using 45 chipset mbrds and ddr2 memory are limited to around 10gb/sec.

What can be achieved on 45 mbrds with ddr3 memory ,i dont know(the 45 T has it 4 slots, 2 for ddr3 and 2 for ddr2 and you cant mix memory types?)

Cpu-z ,cpu core etc will show you your cpu VID,also the mbrd will probably put it in bios if you load optimised defaults.

What do I mean on VID well dont put in th value of 1.2875V manually if you are going to overclock the cpu above standard.. at least initially.
    what value to use..Id go for something in the 1.32V range at the speeds you are trying and see how the temperatures hold up assuming things stay stable.
    1.32v isnt going to shorten its lifespan and would cut out any doubt about .."hmm is it the cpu failing".

I get cpu core errors on my Q8400,which ive had for 3 days now ,when I use 510 host (4.08 ghz) on OCCT ,they may not actually be core errors tho,just reported as such.

Honestly tho there are lots of memory multipliers available to you tho yes ?
    Determine the max speed u can get the memory running at while keeping the cpu speed low.Yes ive seen ddr3 memory voltages are much lower than ddr2 but some minor adjustments may be needed.
    Once you know that you can assume it wont run that fast with the cpu overclocked too.

I can get 1050 mhz stable (525 mhz for my ddr2 memory).However the best voltage apllied/performance compromise comes at 980mhz approx(490 cpu host,which on a 1:1 multiplier (2:00D) is also 490 mhz for my ddr2 memory and 1960mhz fsb )
    EDIT:why did i change from Q8200 to Q8400 cpu.Q8200 was fine but I wanted a 1 year /cmas upgrade.
    1. ddr2 memory has become expensive again
    2.$60(including Q8200 sell price) gets me a 15% cpu speed upgrade=7-10% pc performance upgrade.
    3.My old overclock settings dial right in.
    4.added bonus of vitual pc to run old software on a phantom machine on my pc.

Thats probably as clear as mud,but search around for ddr3 in 45t boards

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/oc-p...5t-ud3p-34554/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...ir-ddr3-33329/

etc
    Last edited by kick; 12-13-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Looks like you have plenty of help here, I will move on by to help some others for now

Thanks guys, I think the "slow" down problem was not my hardware but Windows XP itself. I started to have the random error messages popping up in the even viewer and thought "may be a bad hard drive", but now I'm not sure. I have now reinstalled windows and it is running perfectly, currently running at 3GHz and is stable, more than before. I think I had issues with the Windows XP before because I would load, it would take for ever. Then reboot and no go, did a scandisk with another comp and was able to boot again from windows but decided to reinstall and start from scratch. I appreciate all the help I have got from you guys, I think I may stick with this setup and see how things go from here, and sorry about the long delay, <had to="" reinstall="" windows=""> Take care guys!</had>

Nice to hear your are all fixed up now, sorry you had to reinstall your system but it sounds like this was a good thing anyway!

Post back anytime

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice to hear your are all fixed up now, sorry you had to reinstall your system but it sounds like this was a good thing anyway!

Post back anytime
    Thanks^ Actually it doesn't bother me to reinstall windows every once and awhile because I am one of those "tweakers", and my windows always seems to get messed up somehow, lol. I also end up installing a bunch of stuff that I don't need and don't end up uninstalling it, so it works out good for me I am however running at 3GHz right now, a bit overclocked and seems very stable, I do have a question about the ram. I bought from newegg and here is the link...Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Desktop Memory
    and it shows my timings being 8-8-8-21, and I currently have them set to 9-9-9-24 running at 750MHz with 1.5V, do you think I could change my timings to the 8-8-8-24 and still run on the same 750MHz safely? I have also included the changes in the bios, I believe these are all correct since I changed them yesterday, anyways let me know what you think and again, thanks
    Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: x8
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: N/A
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3GHz (375x8)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 375Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: [100]

C.I.A.2 .................................: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800 mV (auto)
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900 mV (auto)
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps (auto)
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0ps (auto)

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: [Disabled]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: [Auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1500MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................ 9
    tRCD ......................................... 9
    tRP'........................................... 9
    tRAS.......................................... 24

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD........................................... 4 (auto)
    tWTR.......................................... 5 (auto)
    tWR............................................ 10 (auto)
    tRFC........................................... 74 (auto)
    tRTP........................................... 5 (auto)
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................: 0 (auto)

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................ (Auto)

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: 7 (auto)
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................: 0 Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................: 0 Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................: 1 Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................: 1 Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................: 7 Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................: 6 Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................: 6 Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................: 9 Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............: Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............: Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................: 7 (auto)
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................: 0 Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................: 0 Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................: 1 Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................: 1 Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................: 7 Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................: 6 Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................: 6 Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................: 9 Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............: Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............: Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

CPU
    Line-Load Calibration......................: [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore….………....................: 1.264 [Manual Set]
    CPU Termination…......................... 1.200V [Manual Set]
    CPU PLL…………………..............1.500V [Manual Set]
    CPU Referen.…………....................: 0.760 (auto)
    CPU Reference2………....................: N/A

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.20 [Manual Set]
    MCH Reference….……....0.760V...........; (auto)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.….........0.750V...........: (auto)
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: (auto)
    ICH Core…………......….1.100V............: (auto)

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……..........................: 1.5v [Manual Set]
    DRAM Termination .…0.750V............: (auto)
    Channel A Reference 0.750V............: (auto)
    Channel B Reference 0.750V............: (auto)

Ch A Data VRef..............................: 0.750V
    Ch B Data VRef..............................: 0.750V
    Ch A Address VRef........................: 0.750V
    Ch B Address VRef........................: 0.750V

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............:  [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: N/A
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
    P.S. I also have a cropped picture of SIW for current memory timings available, FYI

Attachment 1996
    Last edited by Blubird302; 12-15-2009 at 08:28 AM.

You should mirror a clean install, then when you need to do that it will take you much less time to reinstall and be at square one again. Normally a mirror install only takes 5-10 minutes depending on what program you use.

Well "Safely" would not be an issues, stability might. Timings wont hurt your memory, if that is how you meant safely.

They may or may not run those timings at 1500Mhz, G.Skill often bins their memory tight so you may not be able to get very much above stock speeds without looser timings like you are using, or more voltages.

Have you tried it out yet? If not, go ahead and try, it wont hurt anything it will just boot or not, if it does boot you will then need to test and tweak until you get it stable (If you can)

Do you care about using more voltage? DDR3 must withstand 1.8V before damage is done, so using 1.6-1.7 would not hurt the memory, but if you care about that or think it would hurt your warranty then you may not want to use more. They of course cannot tell how much voltage you use unless you burn something, which would take 2.0V+

I ask that because you may be able to run 1600+ at 888-20/24 if you set 1.6-1.7V, if you wanted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information