Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5P Won't Boot

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5P Won't Boot

While trying to figure out how to get Q Flash to recognize a USB stick, I thought of something else.
    I have a Dell desktop in back room with a C drive that will not boot. It stops at the point of loading mup.sys.
    I couldn't resist swapping the C drives between it and my hand-built. After putting it in, it still will not fully boot, but wait! Suddenly the BIOS sees all 4 hard drives instead of none. Why would that be?? Maybe the BIOS does not need to be reflashed after all.

Not to complicate matters, but as a warning, the C drive from the Dell and the one originally in the home-built are both Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 that I'd purchased in the last 6 months. I just learned (too late!) that both are subject to possible failure due to a firmware problem. Maybe that's why the Dell's won't completely boot. Maybe that's why the home built one is invisible to the BIOS (but all 4?). And, immediately after the power outage? Who knows.

I'm buying a WD to replace the C in the homebuilt tomorrow, will put Vista on it and see if it all works out.

BTW, my drive #4 is the same model, but fixable if you update the firmware before it goes bad. You can get it at Seagate. And drive #3, not the same model, is going to fail for other reasons, according to SMART, but I already knew that a couple weeks ago.

I guarantee I will never buy Seagate again.

Thanks!!
    GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
    i7 920
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    (TR3X6G1600C8D)
    Radeon 4870
    Vista 64
    etc

you have to format the usb stick to fat32 and put bios onto it then it will work,maybe it will see all the drives with a bios re-flash or update
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I did format FAT 32 and put the EX58UD5.F6 on it. But Qflash only shows Update BIOS from Floppy choice (don't have a floppy) There are no other choices, such as those in the pic below the Flashing With Qflash heading that shows 2 other drive choices (USB, FAT32), as well. I'm looking at Lsdmeasap's guide, about halfway down, here. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
    GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
    i7 920
    (TR3X6G1600C8D)
    Radeon 4870
    Vista 64
    etc

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You will see one or two floppies possibly listed in Qflash if you have a floppy and USB plugged in. Look in both or the one if that is all you see, and see if you find your BIOS file. It could also be a hard drive as shown in my image.

You must have legacy storage detect enabled in the BIOS and leave the USB Stick plugged in the whole time you reboot to go into Qflash. If you do not see anything in the floppy you are seeing, then it very well may be that it is not your USB Stick and if you are not seeing and HDD's listed then your stick is not working with Qflash or you do not have a setting right.

Some just do not work, try another one. Smaller ones tend to have better chances and being compatible. If you do not have another one, you can easily make a FAT32 1GB partition at the end of your hard drive, this will be seen for sure

Thank you both - Qflash did not recognize usb stick last night, today it did - go figure...
    Flash seems successful, though I can't tell any difference. *Before* I flashed I had swapped to a different C drive (that's also failing, but at least boots part way) and the BIOS was suddenly able to recognize all 4 drives again - But, I flashed anyway. S0, am I now going to put the original C drive back in as the boot drive just to see if the BIOS still recogizes all drives - I don't think so :) I bought a new drive, will put Vista on it. Then I'll just treat the original C as another drive and see if I can access the files on it - doubtful - again Seagate. ; )

I appreciate the assistance, I expect the board itself is ok, and probably the BIOS now, too, knock wood. For your help, I now know alot more about BIOS
    GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
    i7 920
    (TR3X6G1600C8D)
    Radeon 4870
    Vista 64
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by philbu View Post
    Thank you both - Qflash did not recognize usb stick last night, today it did - go figure...
    Flash seems successful, though I can't tell any difference. *Before* I flashed I had swapped to a different C drive (that's also failing, but at least boots part way) and the BIOS was suddenly able to recognize all 4 drives again - But, I flashed anyway. S0, am I now going to put the original C drive back in as the boot drive just to see if the BIOS still recogizes all drives - I don't think so :) I bought a new drive, will put Vista on it. Then I'll just treat the original C as another drive and see if I can access the files on it - doubtful - again Seagate. ; )

I appreciate the assistance, I expect the board itself is ok, and probably the BIOS now, too, knock wood. For your help, I now know alot more about BIOS
    when you do boot up into windows on the new drive,right click on the faulty drives and click properties/tools/error checking/check now and check the auto fix file errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors,it might be able to recover the drive
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Seagates are all I use myself, to each his own I suppose though.

So did you get things going yet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information