Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 MB weird problem

Default GA-EX58-UD5 MB weird problem

bought it and put on it :
    intel I7-920 CPU stepping D0
    vga card ati radeon 4890 GV-R489UD-1GD that one from gigabyte
    Corsair xms3 DDR3 3X2 GB triple channel TR3X6G1333C9
    power supply antec CP-850W
    the system did not start i tried different solutions but i couldn't find a good one, clear cmos, single slot dimm

I changed ddr,vga, and CPU with different ones
    intel-I7-920 cpu stepping C0 from a friend
    vga ati radeon 3850
    and a lot of different memory kits and single dims and didn't worked
    new power supply
    I did this at a computer shop

i put these on a asus rampage II gene
    vga card ati radeon 4890 GV-R489UD-1GD that one from gigabyte
    Corsair xms3 DDR3 3X2 GB triple channel TR3X6G1333C9
    power supply antec CP-850W
    ant they all worked except the cpu that didn't worked anymore
    my friend CPU was fried as well after putting it on my gigabyte MB, he has a intel MB I cant remember the number
    Now can you tell me pls is that even posible a MB can fry CPU???? Because i never heard of that happening before. What could be the problem???
    I send the MB back to the retailer and they send it to gigabyte repairs or whatever, they say is nothing wrong with the MB i didn't get it back yet but i dont want it anymore I allready bought rampage II gene. I dont have enough money to buy another intel CPU so I'm affraid to try the MB again.
    Can anyone help me? how can i prove that the MB is busted and they should change it idk what test they are doing because i tried a lot of hardware changes and the MB didn't worked and fried 2 CPU's. Is there some program to test the MB without the CPU?

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 MB weird problem

all you can realy do is look at the CPU pads, and MB CPU pins.

are there any bent ones?
    i7 920 SLBEJ D0 @ 3.8(19x200) @1.25v | GA-EX58A-UD7 | KHX12800D3K3/6GX | Sapphire 5850 | Gskill Falcon II 128GB | HAF 922 | Win7 Pro 64 | Noctua NH-U12P-SE | 900w Coolermaster UCP 900w |

Chike is offline Senior Member

Did you RMA the CPUs? They have 3 years warrenty.

Both cpus and MB have intact pins from what i could see.
    I RMA the cpus allright but i cant get my money back or something else on the gigabyte MB untill they dont say it's busted , i'm at my third cpu and it could be a litlle nasty to say that 2 new cpus where busted intel isn't gona like that:))
    at the retailers it get a error code i cant remember like c1 or something, but gigabyte service says the MB it's ok
    maybe they dont test it with full load, cpu+vga+ddr, maybe the board has a short on it idk.
    How can the MB be ok if it burns cpus??
    Have you ever heard about that before? Because i didnt.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

They would test the board with a full system, and it is likely just fine. Are you sure you do not have a faulty PSU or a short inside your case?

I would start with testing your PSU with a tester, then if all is OK then test the board and CPU outside of the case.

It is possible for a board or something in a system to fry a CPU, but Gigabyte would have found the issue if your board had some issue like this, so it is not your board at all I would think.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Be also very careful about static charge when handling the CPU and other parts.

No shortage in my case because i'm using it right now, or it only shorts with gigabyte:P
    The PSU is working fine i'm using it now with asus II gene MB and ddr vga card and cpu on it no problems
    The GA-EX58-UD5 Mb has overshortage protection I think if the PSU has a problem, i used a different PSU with the MB it still didn't worked
    the cpu cooler is runing the vga card is running the 2 digit display on the motherboard displays 00 and it doesn't boot, tried 2 working Cpus on it and both didn't worked after using them on the MB
    The MB booted only once with intel 920 stepping C0 and worked for about 5 minutes and 3 restarts and than that Cou was useless too
    If there is no problem with the MB how do you explain why the Cpus didnt worked after they where installed on this MB.
    All parts of my system work with the new Asus MB very good so i guess is the gigabyte MB problem.
    Could there be a incompatibility issue with the antec CP-850w PSU?????
    I just got the final answer from the retailer and they say the MB is in working condition, but i cant belive that. I will not burn another CPU with this MB. Maybe is a problem with I7-920 CPU only idk what they tested but im not crazy both PCUs where burned after using them on the MB.
    My thinking is that at this upgrade i bought DDR, MB and CPU since the DDR and Cpu are working (3rd cpu never mounted on the gigabyte MB), the PSU and case were working before with my old system so where there could be the problem?
    I asked the retailer what where the exact parts that the MB was working with and he said compatible ones:)) maybe they used a different CPU higher than 920 is to weird idk.
    Last edited by strompinela; 12-16-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: modified text

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Be also very careful about static charge when handling the CPU and other parts.
    I've just installed the MB and CPU first time, than i went to professionals the retailer that i bought the CPU and Dimms, there they have tested all that i said. the switch between different system parts
    changed vga, ddr, psu, pcu used different dimms vga cards but we had only 2 cpu that after mounted on the gigabyte MB they didnt worked anymore
    finally the 3rd cpu arrived and we first tested a lot of configurations on 2 motherboards asus and intel
    first with my vga dimms and psu hdd etc
    then we tested whatever we put on that gigabyte MB before everything was in working order windows system booted at first try, so i decided to buy asus mb and send the gigabyte MB back to the retailer they send it to gigabyte repairs and they called me to tell me that the MB is working. how is that possible??
    maybe you have ideas
    now i have a working system so i dont care so much but im very angry because they dont have a solution for my problem they should tell me what the problem is with my system or the MB or whatever the problem is.
    I payed a lot of money for a new gigabyte MB that is not working in my system i dont care if it works on 12133716257612576configurations if it doesnt work in my system.

Thread Information