Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with new install GA-P55-UD3R

Default Problems with new install GA-P55-UD3R

Hi Folks,

I am encountering some problems with a new install and after posting this question on Tom's Hardware forums, I came across this site. So I'm porting the question over.

I am using a new processor, motherboard and RAM. These are: Intel i5-750, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R and OCZ platinum PC3-10666 (DDR3) 2 x 2GB.
    The video card is what I already had (ATI Radeon x1800xt 512 MB).

Right now, I have only the bare minimum components hooked up and I don't get any video output. Only the above components are installed (CPU, RAM, video card), apart from basic case switches (power, LEDs).

There is no question of going into BIOS or anything like that as I get nothing on my screen. I am using my TV as monitor and it is connected to the video card by a DVI-HDMI cable. This is the same setup I was using before (except different mainboard, CPU, memory).

Also I should mention that there are no sounds of any kind coming from the motherboard when I power up. My case doesn't have any front speaker, but I believe the mainboard has some sort of internal speaker. There is no beep when I turn the system on. The CPU fan, case fans and video card fan turn on fine.

I have read about similar problems on some boards on this forum and elsewhere. However, it was never clear what the problems were even in those cases. Help is appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Problems with new install GA-P55-UD3R

X1800 may not be compatible, have you or can you test a newer PCIE 2.0 card? Yes, it should work, but this is not always the case

You need to hookup your own case speaker, the board does not have one itself. If your case does not have one, try to find one in a older PC sitting around your house, maybe in the basement or attic. Or in another new PC at your house, just to borrow for testing. If you need to buy one let me know, they are only a dollar to 3 at various sites.

What PSU do you have, and sorry I have to ask, you do have the 8 Pin ATX/EPS 12VCPU cable and 24 Pin cable connected right?

Did you check for bent CPU Socket pins before installing the CPU? If not, you may want to check now and be VERY Careful so you do not bend any trying to look!

Have you tested the board outside of the case, and OFF the motherboard tray on a wooden table or cardboard box? You can try this to rule out shorts.

You may also just simply need to clear the CMOS, I suggest you try this now using the long method I outline in post #2 of this thread
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Yes I have the 12V (8-pin) and 24-pin ATX cables connected. My PSU is from the old computer - Aerocool zerodBA 500W (or 550W).

I will follow up on your other suggestions - not been finding time these days. As for case speaker, I didn't realize the mobo didn't have one. I definitely need one, but don't want to place an order online for something that costs a few bucks, have it shipped, and wait for it. Do you know if any of the usual stores might carry that sort of thing?

Most stores that sell electronic components such as resistors, capacitors etc will sell pezo speakers for PC use. Something like Tandy or Radioshack, Maplins set will have some. Small independant PC shops and even some of the major retailers will stock them too. Note that there is usually one included with the PC case. If you still have the packaging or the set of fixings that came with your case have a look to see if one is included. It's a small 1cm-1.5cm diameter usually black cylinder with a two/three pin connector.

Using a graphics card in a new motherboard can alter the way that the card reacts to being connected to display devices. This is because the GPU can accept setup information via the PCIe socket etc with regards to how the DVI sockets implement switching, dual link technology and initialisation etc. For this reason it would be a good idea to first try connecting the card to a regular monitor via DVI or if possible using a VGA cable to connect to the TV VGA port if it has one.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, I have only now been able to revisit this. After being unable to find a single internal speaker locally, and trying to order one online (which never got shipped), I was finally able to track one down on ebay.

So now I am running this thing outside the case, on a wooden table. Only the CPU and RAM are installed. I'm sure that all the appropriate connections have been made. This is giving me an error beep code during POST. It appears to be 1 long and 3 short beeps. Can someone tell me how to find a list of POST codes for this board? That seems to depend on the BIOS, and I don't know what the this board is using, having never been able to get video and access BIOS.

Follow up: Seems I am looking at Award BIOS, and their codes indicated missing video card, so I put that in. Then I get constant slow beeps. This appears to be the code for bad/missing RAM.

So what do I do? Could it have something to do with PSU? Should I get different RAM? I am using OCZ platinum PC3 10666 DDR3 (1.65v, 7-7-7-20).

Also, is there a particular order POST goes through? If there was a RAM problem, why did that beep pattern not show up the first time around instead of complaining about missing video card?

Also the video card fan turns off after a few seconds on some occasions and works normally on other occasions.
    Last edited by AbyssalLoris; 02-08-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Missed information

Thread Information