Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: UD3P V1.0 (MA77OT-UD3P) Audio with Windows 7 64-bit

Default UD3P V1.0 (MA77OT-UD3P) Audio with Windows 7 64-bit

Before purchasing the UD3P I had read good reviews on the integrated audio. However, on playback I get wierd random scratchy pop sounds and when I record audio using a headset, the recording is very poor quality.

I've spent quite awhile adjusting settings and downloading drivers to no avail. Others report this is a Windows 7 - 64bit driver issue and that all is well in XP. I found that on NewEgg.

Can anyone else confirm the audio issue with the board and whether or not it is driver or hardware related?

I make teaching video lessons using a headset and bought this system to work with videos. If I can't fix it, I will look for an audio card. I just wondered if I might have bad h/w or if there is a fix forthcoming.

Thanks all!
    -Proudrooster

Default Re: UD3P V1.0 (MA77OT-UD3P) Audio with Windows 7 64-bit

If you haven't already done so I recommend using the driver supplied directly by Realtek. You can download it here: Realtek HD Audio 2.38 Driver download from Guru3D.com . I've linked to Guru3D because the official Realtek site is extremely slow, often only giving 70KB/s or less.

Also try loading BIOS optimized defaults then re-entering any custom settings, save and exit the BIOS. It is definitely well worth seeing if the Gigabyte site has an updated BIOS for you to use. You'd be surprised how many issues a BIOS update will fix. Note that Gigabyte often fail to mention all the fixes in a certain BIOS. There may be a dozen changes and they will only mention one or two.

When updating the BIOS, do not use the @BIOS program, it's IMO dangerous and can cause issues. Never flash the BIOS or FW of anything in Windows. Better to place the BIOS file on a Fat formatted floppy disk or a FAT32 formatted USB Stick. Note that an NTFS formatted disk probably won't work. You can also flash from the HDD but only if it's FAT 32 (which it won't be if running Win 7 unless you created a separate partition and formatted it specifying FAT32).

I've had audio issues related to Windows 7 too. I'm a gamer and purchased Modern Warfare 2 on the day of release. The gams drops out the audio and stutters and pops only during the begining of each level, on the level introduction. It did the same in XP but in XP you can turn down "Sound Hardware Acceleration" which when set one notch down from maximum, cured the problem. There is no way to turn down/off HW acceleration for sound in Windows 7, otherwise this may have helped you get clear audio.

To see if a Kernel mode driver is te cause of your issues please download and run DPCLat from here DPC Latency Checker and then post up a screen shot after it's been running for a few minutes. Do a few things with the PC like copying a large file from one folder to another (use copy and paste not cut because cut will just reassign location data, you want the HDD to create a new file from scratch). Also load the CPU in some way by playing a game, briefly starting a video encode (you can cancel the encode after about 20 seconds), browsing folders and playing a wave/mp3 file. If you see large DPC Latency spikes (usually over 1000us will cause audio dropouts, but YMMV) then a kernel mode driver may be to blame. A program like autoruns can be used to try disabling the offending driver, by trial and error you can narrow it down. Before tht though first try disabling non essential processes in task manager one by one and see if any process stops the spikes, or if no spikes happen se if it cures the audio problems.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Just to add, here is a brief but useful guide on how to use the info thet DPCLat provides http://forum.****os.com/showthread.php?t=30896 . In general the integrated audio is very good, but sometimes issues can occur. Maybe after the driver update (if needed) try removing the device in Device Manager, disabling Azalea audio codec in the BIOS, boot to Windows, reboot then re-enable to allow the board/Windows to both re-initialize the device and maybe re work the assignment of an IRQ to the device.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 12-15-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Thank you for the great information! I am a fearless BIOS flasher on this mobo since it has the backup BIOS :) This was one of the bigger selling points for me on this board (Dual BIOS).

With the DPC program, I found the root cause of the problem. It is a program called "GUI.EXE" which is really "Gigabytes Easy Tuner 6". When this program is running, the sound suffers (pops/scratches). I've turned of Easy Tuner 6 and sound performance is much improved.

The spikes show up when ET6 starts and then spikes start to appear at regular intervals.

Thanks for the help!

BTW -- Here is my total build info. It is an amazing upgrade from my old P4 and I am amazed at the performance increase when doing video encoding! Go Quad cores!

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard with 4GB G.Skill RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4770, Windows 7 64-bit

I'm glad you've got the problem sorted, happy to help.

It seem s that as ET6 polls the system to update its CPU-Z like info screen etc it must cause major DPCLat spikes. Disabling it was the perfect solution. Personally I find the program useful for seeing voltages set etc, I don't recommend it for fan control or OCing. For OCing BIOS is king and if you should need fan control, SpeedFan works great.

That's a very nice rig you've built. I'm finding myself recommending 955/965 AMD rigs to those that don't want to spend themega cash needed for i7. They're excellent for gaming and very capable for encoding and other intense tasks as well as being power efficient for simple web browsing. The 4770 is also a good choice,falling just behind the 4850, as it has twice the memory bandwidth via the GDDR5 which is then eliminated by halving the RAM bus to 128bit, making it a tad lower on overall throughput.

Any problems, any time, you're more than welcome to come here and the guys/girls will help as best they can, much quicker than the official Gigabyte support.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Also uninstall DES (Dynamic Energy Saver) if you have not already

Smile Re: UD3P V1.0 (MA77OT-UD3P) Audio with Windows 7 64-bit

Have the same problem with audio ticking. Just turned off Easytune and so far so good. Thanks for the tip.

Thread Information