Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ram problem

Default Ram problem

My new CPU cooler is blocking memory slot 1, and possibly slot 2 (havent bought the ram yet). Is it possible to just use slots 3 and 4?

Default Re: Ram problem

Which board model? And which cooler?

board model: gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p
    cooler: ZALMAN CNPS8700NT COOLER

well, i'll see if i can return that one and get (ZALMAN CNPS9500AM2 LARGE COPPER COOLER) which is vertical instead of horizontal so that might fix my problem.

You seem to have even less room between socket and ram slots than in asus M4A77, for which the fan of Noctua NH-U9B would block anything higher than 30 mm from the first ram slot. Thankfully that cooler can be rotated 90 degrees, or the fan moved to the other side to pull.

If you do browse your ga-ma790x-ud4p manual, you will find the rather standard "these are dual channel configurations" table, which does offer the slot_3 & slot_4 as an alternative valid solution.

Even the cnps9500am2 does look like rather tight fit.

Thanks for the info man, i think i'll stick with the ZALMAN CNPS9500AM2 LARGE COPPER COOLER and just use slots 3 and 4. if there are any problems i'll post again lol.

Thread Information