Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q6600 / EP45C-DS3R o/c request from a noobie

Default Q6600 / EP45C-DS3R o/c request from a noobie

at first i'd like to thank u for your help

i'm very curious about overclocking my cpu.. i don't need that much speed but i can't control my curiosity anyway.. i tried to check a few setting in BİOS and i'm not familiar with it... i put 305 for bus speed which is originally 266 and it showed 2.74 or sth at 9x cpum... after i start windows up, checked my cpu speed with CPU-Z, Prime95, SpeedFan, windows system info and 3D Mark.. but at all of them my cpu speed was stock(2.4 GHz)... btw i'm scared of changing voltage so i wont unless i really need it.. isn't that just simple as only changing bus speed and multiplier?

Cpu: Q6600 with stock cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R
    Ram: 2x2gb OCZ Reaper 1066 mhz DDR2
    2x1gb OCZ Fatality 1066 mhz DDR2

sorry for my english and all of my mistakes if i have,any help will be appreciated

<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>
    Last edited by angelflare; 12-19-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Q6600 / EP45C-DS3R o/c request from a noobie

Did your computer boot at first attempt or did it boot after several attempts?

Just changing the bus speed is not enough, you need to make adjusments to memory multiplier so it would match it's spec frequency, and for highr CPU speed you likely need to increase Vcore from it's default value.

Other settings are also recommended to be set manually and not left on auto, read this post.

Increasing voltages while remaining in specs are no reason for concern as long as temperatures are within limits too.

thank u for your fast reply

after i changed bus speed and saved bios it failed once and could boot at second attempt... what does that mean and what is the temperature limits for my CPU?

btw even after i changed bus speed, system or softwares indicate default cpu speeds but when i check BİOS again, first i see a warning about some boot failures then i see bus speed is what i changed lately, not default...

The warning means the settings failed and therfore were not applied. When this happen BIOS apply some known good settings or defaults. BIOS will show the settings as you made them, they are not applied though.

For 300MHz FSB change memory multiplier to 3.20B. Also follow the link I have posted in post #2 for other settings that are needed to be set manually.

Use RealTemp or CoreTemp to measure CPU core temperatures. I think for the Q6600 you want to keep temp below 65c for Prime95 load and below 75 for IBT load.
    Are you using stock cooler?

Also if you provide the information described in 1-4 in that post it will be easier to advise you.

i guess i provided all of the information needed..

and links for ram modules- Reaper, Fatality

[img=http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2323/imgzq.png]

Bios settings are all default
    <div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

btw, what are the risks or disadvantages of o/c?
    Coolermaster Centurion 700W
    Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R
    Intel Q6600 @ default with stock cooler
    2x2 Gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC
    2x1 Gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Fatal1ty
    Sapphire HD4870 512 Mb @ default

Risks are of course damaging one or more of the components by either applying too high voltage or high temperature.
    That's the reason some of these voltages are recommended to be set manually and not left on auto. When set auto BIOS change them as you OC and may apply more than realy needed or dangarousrly high values.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that some boards have problems waking up form S3 when overclocked.

With stock cooler I'd go for 333FSB with CPU Ratio 8 for a mild OC of 2.66GHz, then decide if to go higher to 2.83GHz if you have fine CPU Ratio or 3GHz based on load temperatures.
    Run 10-15 minutes of Prime95 blend torture to see what temperatures you get with stock settings first.

Memory can be tweaked and optimized with or without CPU OC.

What kind of case cooling do you have and what is the ambiant temperature?

ambient temperature is 36, i guess... core temps are about 44 when cpu usage is about %3-6...

all components have their stock fans... additionally there are one 120mm intake and two 120mm exhaust fans.

what are the optimal settings for 2.66 GHz?
    Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R

Pretty high ambiant. That explains the 44c at idle.
    Run the Prime95 torture, idle temps are no indication for anything. Temps can appear normal at idle but too high under load if there's a problem with cooling.

EDIT: Please post your settings including default values using the template from this post.
    Last edited by Chike; 12-19-2009 at 07:55 AM.

after ten minutes Prime95 blend torture test, temps are like these with CoreTemp: 60-61-63-65
    Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R

Temperatures a bit on the high side for stock settings, It is difficult to tell which is the right one without callibration, but 60c is a bit high too.
    I would recommend to stay with stock settings and try to optimize memory performance until you have better cooling solution if you decide to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information