Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P, ICH10R (orange), AHCI -> will not boot

Default GA-EP45-UD3P, ICH10R (orange), AHCI -> will not boot

Hi all,

I've been searching this forum and elsewhere but am still confused. I have this board and would like to run a single WD 320 GB SATA drive (no RAID) off the orange connectors in AHCI mode, but the AHCI bios (1.07) hangs and I can't get back into the BIOS to switch back to PATA mode without detaching the drive and rebooting.

The purple JMicron connectors will boot in AHCI mode, but I would rather use the ICH10R if possible.

Is this normal behavior or is something wrong somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P, ICH10R (orange), AHCI -> will not boot

Yes, the Intel AHCI bios should detect your drive. 1.07 was known for being slow, but it still should detect it. Don't know why it isn't, especially when it is detected by jmicron. What motherboard BIOS are you using? Newer motherboard BIOS has Intel AHCI BIOS ver. 1.20E, it's much faster. I would flash to latest BIOS using QFlash and try it again.

Hi Flyfisher,

Thanks for the quick reply! I suspected a bios issue, but my attepts to flash to a newer version seems to have failed for some reason. I will try again using Q-Flash as you suggest.

My board is listed a a rev 1.6 with the FB bios (from @BIOS). I believe FD is the latest. I had tried previousely to flash by using the @BIOS utility on the DVD (from within win7 enterprise trial), but it does not look like it worked.

I'll let you know the results. Thanks again.

Well, QFlash requires a floppy drive (I don't have one), but I was able to get @BIOS to upgrade to FD by dowloading the bios file and updating from the file.

I'm now at AHCI bios 1.20e, but the ICH10R ports still hang the AHCI bios. The jmicron is faster though.

Any other thoughts?

Do NOT use @BIOS if you value your motherboard and do not want the risk of bricking it. Use the built in QFlash utility. It runs directly off the motherboard, bypassing Windoze and most of your PC hardware, meaning any slight instability or Software error will not effect the flash.

To access QFlash, hit [END] at start up or enter the BIOS then press [F8]. Have your BIOS file ready on a USB Flash drive formatted FAT32. You also need to have "USB Legacy Storage Detect" enabled in the BIOS. This is I believe in Integrated Devices settings menu, near the bottom, with the USB KB and Mouse settings. When you've checked that it's enabled, insert the USB stick, then start Qflash from the main menu with [F8]. Once again, don't use @BIOS. You were lucky that the flash did not work the first time, there can be a lot more serious things go wrong.

FD does indeed contain AHCI 1.20E, which is a hell of a lot faster and much more stable than 1.07. If you end up not being able to get AHCI working then do not worry. You will see zero performance gain by using it. AHCI lets you use NCQ, but unless your PC is used as some sort of data-base server where 50-100 users all access it at once, there will be no difference to running in Legacy IDE. On a Solid State Drive, you will notice a slight performance gain, but only on small file size transfers such as 4K random read/write. Even then, it's only around 8% or so.

Think of AHCI and NCQ like fitting an induction kit to a car. A normal HDD is relatively slow, like a 1.2litre engine. Hook an induction kit to a 1.2L engine with 80-BHP and you will be lucky to get an extra 3-4 BHP out of it. Hook the same kit up to a 6L Engine generating 800 BHP and you might get a more noticeable 25-35BHP. HDD's as stand alone devices aren't really quick enough or stressed enough to benefit in a workstation.

If you are using AHCI to be able to use hot swapping (removing HDDs on the fly without a shutdown) then that's different, but as you say this is a single drive, presumably with your OS on, you can't hot swap it. That would be like asking the PC to chop off its own head.

Having said all that, 1.20E should sort out the problem.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Do NOT use @BIOS if you value your motherboard and do not want the risk of bricking it. Use the built in QFlash utility. It runs directly off the motherboard, bypassing Windoze and most of your PC hardware, meaning any slight instability or Software error will not effect the flash.
    Well, looks like I dodged a bullet then. ;)

To access QFlash, hit [END] at start up or enter the BIOS then press [F8]. Have your BIOS file ready on a USB Flash drive formatted FAT32. You also need to have "USB Legacy Storage Detect" enabled in the BIOS. This is I believe in Integrated Devices settings menu, near the bottom, with the USB KB and Mouse settings. When you've checked that it's enabled, insert the USB stick, then start Qflash from the main menu with [F8]. Once again, don't use @BIOS. You were lucky that the flash did not work the first time, there can be a lot more serious things go wrong.
    Now I know - for future reference.

FD does indeed contain AHCI 1.20E, which is a hell of a lot faster and much more stable than 1.07. If you end up not being able to get AHCI working then do not worry. You will see zero performance gain by using it. AHCI lets you use NCQ, but unless your PC is used as some sort of data-base server where 50-100 users all access it at once, there will be no difference to running in Legacy IDE. On a Solid State Drive, you will notice a slight performance gain, but only on small file size transfers such as 4K random read/write. Even then, it's only around 8% or so.

Think of AHCI and NCQ like fitting an induction kit to a car. A normal HDD is relatively slow, like a 1.2litre engine. Hook an induction kit to a 1.2L engine with 80-BHP and you will be lucky to get an extra 3-4 BHP out of it. Hook the same kit up to a 6L Engine generating 800 BHP and you might get a more noticeable 25-35BHP. HDD's as stand alone devices aren't really quick enough or stressed enough to benefit in a workstation.

If you are using AHCI to be able to use hot swapping (removing HDDs on the fly without a shutdown) then that's different, but as you say this is a single drive, presumably with your OS on, you can't hot swap it. That would be like asking the PC to chop off its own head.

Having said all that, 1.20E should sort out the problem.
    Thanks for the explanation. It's what I was beginning to gather from several searches. My interest in trying to use AHCI was to see if I had any better luck having my drive recognized when trying to install Slackware Linux. I thought possibly that the AHCI driver in combination with the ICH10R chipset might make the drive visible to the installer kernel, but I think I'll need to jump through a few mor hoops to get slack running on this board.

I still think it's odd that AHCI does not work with both chipsets. PATA does seem to work fine though. Wanted to be sure there was not a problem with the board.

Thanks again for you time.

No problem at all .

If 1.20E does not work for you then I'd suspect the drive is not playing nicely with AHCI. The P45 is definitely compatable with AHCI. I have also built several systems around the new 1.6 UD3P as well as the EP45T-UD3P, UD3, UD3R, and UD3LR, and AHCI worked great on each.

Every build was put together in combination with a Western Digital WD6400AAKS (Caviar Blue/SE16). If you still have no luck, see what SATA cable you're using for the drive. If it's an old one, try replacing it with one of the yellow cables that are bundled with the UD3P, they're excellent. Also check the security of the power cable.

On some SATA drives there is a jumper at the back to switch between SATA 150, SATA 300 and "Compatibility Mode". You want it to be set for SATA 300.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thread Information