Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with EP45-UD3R and CORSAIR DOMINATOR CM2X2048-8500C5D

Unhappy Problems with EP45-UD3R and CORSAIR DOMINATOR CM2X2048-8500C5D

Hi, Im new to the forums and need some help.

System
    MOBO: EP45-UD3R REV. 1.1
    CPU: E8400 C0
    RAM: 2GB GSKILL F2-6400CL4-1GBPK
    GPU: EVGA 8800GT 512MB

Problematic RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR CM2X2048-8500C5D REV 1.2

Here's my problem:

Last April I bought CORSAIR DOMINATOR CM2X2048-8500C5D to compliment my system. It was working fine until this December where games, processes, and applications started to crash on an hourly basis. So I tested the RAM with Memtest and it failed immediately with hundreds of errors. Then I contacted Corsair for an RMA and successfully received new kits (Dec 24 2009).

Now I can't even boot into the bios with the new dominators; in single channel or dual channel. It seems that it is completely incompatible. At first I thought I received another defective kit but I installed them into another rig to do memtest for 9 hours and they were fine.

I know that the motherboard is also fine because I was able to borrow a set of GSkILL F2-6400CL4-1GBPK and the computer boots just fine with it; passes memtest and general computing with no errors/crashes.

Now I'm confused, what is the problem?

Your help is appreciated thanks in advance.
    Last edited by evinnon; 12-27-2009 at 05:31 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Problems with EP45-UD3R and CORSAIR DOMINATOR CM2X2048-8500C5D

well could be mbrd is recognising the new memory as the old and applying whatever settings you had before..
    Load and save optimised defaults with the gskills and reboot then turn off the pc disconnect.,insert new memory and hopefully u get to bios.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    well could be mbrd is recognising the new memory as the old and applying whatever settings you had before..
    Load and save optimised defaults with the gskills and reboot then turn off the pc disconnect.,insert new memory and hopefully u get to bios.
    I just now tried what you said:

load optimized defaults
    reboot and shutdown
    installed corsair dominator
    boot

and it doesnt work. It would show the GA logo and enter endless reboot.

any other ideas?
    System
    MOBO: EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 F11

kick is offline Senior Member

I did say load and save optimised defaults but hey im just being picky.
    well u could clear cmos totally, power of turn off psu switch hold pc power button down..5 min works for me and see what happens.
    Or do the full battery out clear cmos thing.
    If u took the corsair memory out again.. go to bios using the gskills and load all the memory settings that work for the corsair in your other rig,or I assume u had a bios profile saved before for the corsairs? perhaps load and save that ..then as the pc is preparing to post again turn it off ,wait 5 min with the power switch turned off. then disconnect and try the corsairs again.

Thats about all I can think of.
    Well actually there is other stuff like perhaps reflashing/reloading the original/new bios but Im not gonna suggest anything that would make things worse,if it can be solved simply.
    What i can tell u is when I originally put in my gskills back in dec 08 i had to tell the board the correct timings,it never seems to have forgotten the gskills.., even tho I have reflashed the bios,cleared it etc since then,it may be something to do with the mirror image bios,but Ive never investigated that closely on the "if it aint broke dont fix it " principle
    Last edited by kick; 12-27-2009 at 07:11 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    I did say load and save optimised defaults but hey im just being picky.
    well u could clear cmos totally, power of turn off psu switch hold pc power button down..5 min works for me and see what happens.
    Or do the full battery out clear cmos thing.
    If u took the corsair memory out again.. go to bios using the gskills and load all the memory settings that work for the corsair in your other rig,or I assume u had a bios profile saved before for the corsairs? perhaps load and save that ..then as the pc is preparing to post again turn it off ,wait 5 min with the power switch turned off. then disconnect and try the corsairs again.

Thats about all I can think of.
    Well actually there is other stuff like perhaps reflashing/reloading the original/new bios but Im not gonna suggest anything that would make things worse,if it can be solved simply.
    What i can tell u is when I originally put in my gskills back in dec 08 i had to tell the board the correct timings,it never seems to have forgotten the gskills.., even tho I have reflashed the bios,cleared it etc since then,it may be something to do with the mirror image bios,but Ive never investigated that closely on the "if it aint broke dont fix it " principle
    Ok ive just spent the last hour hard clearing my CMOS with the method outlined in this post:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Result, same problem. The Dominators will not boot in single channel or dual channel. I am flummoxed as to what to do right now.
    System

Chike is offline Senior Member

Not in any slot?
    With a stick of The G.Skill memory, set Performance Enhance to standard, XMP disabled, and memory multiplier to 2.40B, Static tRead Value 12 on both channels, save reboot and shut down, see if you can boot with any of the Corsair sticks.
    Can you test the Corsair ram in another machine?
    Is it a TWIN2X4096-8500C5D kit that you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Not in any slot?
    With a stick of The G.Skill memory, set Performance Enhance to standard, XMP disabled, and memory multiplier to 2.40B, Static tRead Value 12 on both channels, save reboot and shut down, see if you can boot with any of the Corsair sticks.
    Can you test the Corsair ram in another machine?
    Is it a TWIN2X4096-8500C5D kit that you have?
    I have tested the corsair in another machine and it boots fine. Even passes memtest so I know they are good. For some reason it just doesn't boot on my motherboard. Dominators and UD3R doesnt like it each other for some odd reason.
    System

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by evinnon View Post
    For some reason it just doesn't boot on my motherboard. Dominators and UD3R doesnt like it each other for some odd reason.
    But you had a pair working with it before.

Have you tried one/two sticks after enforcing DDR-800 with the G.Skill?

How long have you cleared CMOS? Maybe give it at least 20-30 minutes, then if still no go a few hours/overnight clear and see if it helps.

Try them in slots 2 and 4.

Thread Information