Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P55-UD6 reboot loop and POST code 11

Default GA-P55-UD6 reboot loop and POST code 11

<o:p> </o:p>Iím in the process of building up a new computer but Iím running into some difficulties.
    The parts are:
    GA-P55-UD6 motherboard
    Intel i7-870 LGA 1156
    2x 4GB G.Skill RAM DDR3-2000
    2TB Seagate Barracuda HD
    XFX GTX 260 black edition
    Antec 500W PS
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Background the problem (i.e. what I did before the problem occured)
    I initially got the MB, processor, RAM and graphics card assembled out of the case and it would power up correctly taking me to the BIOS menu and then trying to boot but not being able to because there was no HD or DVD. I then put everything into the case and added the DVD-rom and HD, tried booting again and had the same successful result. I then put in the Win XP disk to start the install process. I got a little way into that before I realized that it was unhappy with the partitions I had put on the HD (it claimed that there was not enough room, though there should have been plenty). I exited the Windows install menu and put in a bootable copy of Acronis disk director to try to determine the issue, when that had loaded most of the way it came up with an error saying that no HD was attached. I restarted again and this is when I hit the problem.

The problem and symptoms
    The computer now totally fails to boot, the motherboard gives me error POST code of 11 (which isnít listed in the MB manual or mentioned anywhere Iíve been able to find). When I turn on the power button the MB LEDs turn on and the fans all start up and run for about 2.5 seconds then the whole system turns off again. The POST LEDs display 11 during the brief time everything is running. After 5 seconds or so of being off the whole process repeats with the system trying to boot but failing.
    After this happened I took the HD off and plugged it into another computer. It had deleted the 3 partitions I had made (NTFS) and created one Fat16 partition of ~125GB that was full and the remainder as unassigned.
    Things Iíve tried in remedying this problem:
    Removing the DVD and HD again
    Tried a different power supply (400W)
    Tried using just one stick of RAM in each of the primary slots (I donít have any other DDR3 RAM around so I havenít tried a different brand/model)
    Resetting CMOS
    Other thoughts
    Iím fairly confident that the video card isnít the issue as it was used in previous computer for the past 6 months with no issues.
    These parts were a Christmas present and were purchased too long ago to be returned so Iím going to have to deal with manufactures to deal with any issues.
    Any thoughts on what the issue is would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by fireman; 01-03-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: clarity

Default Re: GA-P55-UD6 reboot loop and POST code 11

That is a bit of a jumbled mess and it's giving me a headache trying to decipher it.

Clearly state the issue and the steps required to reproduce it.

ie, host powers on and reboots or host boots normally.

Are you using factory settings or is it an over clocked environment?

What is the system configuration?

If the system is stable enough to perform a memtest have you tried that first?

Finally, are there any additional thoughts or clues that might be an indication of the problem. (Even if you don't understand them just clearly explain any details you believe may be relevant).

Do these things and you will get far more assistance much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p> </o:p>I’m in the process of building up a new computer but I’m running into some difficulties.
    The parts are:
    GA-P55-UD6 motherboard
    Intel i7-870 LGA 1156
    2x 4GB G.Skill RAM DDR3-2000
    2TB Seagate Barracuda HD
    XFX GTX 260 black edition
    Antec 500W PS
    <o:p></o:p>
    I initially got the MB, processor, RAM and graphics card assembled out of the case and it would power up correctly taking me to the BIOS menu and then trying to boot but not being able to because there was no HD or DVD. I then put everything into the case and added the DVD-rom and HD, tried booting again and had the same successful result. I then put in the Win XP disk to start the install process. I got a little way into that before I realized that it was unhappy with the partitions I had put on the HD (it claimed that there was not enough room, though there should have been plenty). I exited the Windows install menu and put in a bootable copy of Acronis disk director to try to determine the issue, when that had loaded most of the way it came up with an error saying that no HD was attached. I restarted again and it failed to boot, the motherboard gave me error POST code of 11 (which isn’t listed in the manual or mentioned anywhere I’ve been able to find). When I turn on the power button the LEDs turn on and the fans all start up and run for about 2.5 seconds then they turn off. The POST LEDs display 11 during this time. After another 5 seconds or so the whole process repeats with the system trying to boot but failing.
    After this happened I took the HD off and plugged it into another computer. It had deleted the 3 partitions I had made (NTFS) and created one Fat16 partition of ~125GB that was full and the remainder as unassigned.
    As for things I’ve tried in remedying this problem:
    Removing the DVD and HD again
    Tried a different power supply (400W)
    Tried using just one stick of RAM in each of the primary slots (I don’t have any other DDR3 RAM around so I haven’t tried a different brand/model)
    Resetting CMOS
    I’m fairly confident that the video card isn’t the issue as it was used in previous computer for the past 6 months with no issues.
    These parts were a Christmas present and were purchased too long ago to be returned so I’m going to have to deal with manufactures to deal with any issues.
    All these parts are new besides the video card and power supply.
    Any thoughts on what the issue is would be greatly appreciated.
    did you plug your drives into the blue sata connectors on mb? and can you see all your drives in the bios?? also disable all your floppy drives in bios including boot order and then try,also i would format them to ntfs and flash to the latest bios using qflash
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that did come out a little jumbled, I was trying to get all the info up there. It is now edited.

The problem and symptoms

The computer now totally fails to boot, the motherboard gives me error POST code of 11 (which isn’t listed in the MB manual or mentioned anywhere I’ve been able to find). When I turn on the power button the MB LEDs turn on and the fans all start up and run for about 2.5 seconds then the whole system turns off again. The POST LEDs display 11 during the brief time everything is running. After 5 seconds or so of being off the whole process repeats with the system trying to boot but failing.

in response to your questions
    The settings are all factory at this point.

The parts are listed in my first post.

The system isn't stable enough for a memory test and I can no longer reach the BIOS as the system is resetting itself about every 8 seconds.

I don't have any other thoughts on what is causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    did you plug your drives into the blue sata connectors on mb? and can you see all your drives in the bios?? also disable all your floppy drives in bios including boot order and then try,also i would format them to ntfs and flash to the latest bios using qflash
    I did have the HD plugged into the blue SATA connectors on the MB.
    I can't even get to the BIOS anymore so I can't change the boot order of re-flash the BIOS.

thanks for your reply.

look at cpu socket if there is bent pins or reset cmos or pull mobo out and make a try

Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    I did have the HD plugged into the blue SATA connectors on the MB.
    I can't even get to the BIOS anymore so I can't change the boot order of re-flash the BIOS.

thanks for your reply.
    unplug all your drives and just install one stick of ram,see if it will boot into bios,maybe you have a faulty stick of ram or it could be hardware incompatability
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alrighty,

It's time for a little thing I like to call isolation techniques.

Reduce the system to it's base operating components.

Rig for JEB... (just enough to boot). This would be one stick of memory, one processor and a video card.

Pre flight check... verify all components are seated properly. (includes checking sockets as mentioned above).

Clear the cmos... remove the battery... don't worry about re-inserting. You will need to clear any residual charge by removing power and turning on the host.

Now the fun begins...

Turn on the host and determine if the system powers on.

If the host does not boot attempt to isolate the memory module by swapping the installed dimm for another. Do this until you have isolated your dimm supply or the host boots.

If the host does not boot you can consider the memory either completely incompatible or isolated from defect.

Now the configuration testing gets a little more troublesome. If you have a second video controller use this to test the system.

Do this for any component you can easily get your hands on.

The likely scenario is you will be left with a possible power supply, cpu or motherboard with a potential defect.

Finally, if nothing improves then RMA the components that are left over. If returning a motherboard ensure you re-attach the CPU socket cups. If both processor and motherboard are not an option then I would favor returning the motherboard first.

Now tips and tricks...

In some very rare instances I have found the clear CMOS jumper was set to an "on" position and this creates some very weird errors. Verify it is disabled.

Core i7 has an integrated memory controller similar to AMD processors. If the host boots but fails early on this could be an indication of a failed memory controller.

Also, the power supply appears a bit on the weak side for your configuration. Assuming only two fans with the components listed your consumption at 90% utilization would be 300 watts. This is 60% of your power supply's theoretical maximum. Within a year your power peak usage will effectively increase to 70% and be near the end of it's efficiency curve. (Good power supplies begin losing efficiency drastically at around the 85% curve). In other words... you have been warned.

I had a system reboot loop problem When I set up my UD3R. A member on this forum said it was indicative of a power supply issue and suggested a different power supply. Sure Enough going with a more powerfull Power supply fixed the Issue even though there was nothing wrong with the original power supply.
    920 D0, 4.3Ghz, 1.312v (24/7 OC)
    EX58-UD5, TRUE, Gig GTX-260OC
    3GB Crucial 1640 9-9-9-25 1.5v
    Cor TX650, Antec 200

Unless the power supply is 3 years or older it should hold the load. At the very worst it would operate with many components disconnected. When gauging capabilities the rule of thumb is to decrease the theoretical max load by 10% for each year of usage.

This is of course unless the power supply is failing. The posted did mention he swapped the unit.

It is not impossible for both power supplies to be faulted, but just a bit unlikely.

Another handy check for "voltages" is to review the output levels of the 3.3, 5v and 12v rails. If they deviate by more then 5% the power supply is considered to be outside of the ATX specification.

This is not a load test, but a fairly basic health check.

My main concern is that under specing the load will lead to unexpected failure a bit later on. I try to run my power supplies at 50% load at peak usage, but it does ensure a stable system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information