Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTS250 video card conflicts with RAID adapter-->won't boot

Default GTS250 video card conflicts with RAID adapter-->won't boot

I just bought a Gigabyte GTS250 video card and it apparently conflicts with the SAS RAID adapter. When I install the video card in any PCIe x16 slot, the bootup fails at a disk error due to some inability to load the RAID array. Remove the card, and it boots just fine.

Here's the exact message diplayed:
    Unable to load LSI Logic Corp. MPT BIOS
    MPT BIOS Fault 0Dh encountered at adapter PCI(11h,00h,00h)
    Press any key to continue...
    I have tried this with and without the onboard VGA jumper disabled, and there is no difference. The mobo BIOS has no settings for manual configuration of IRQs, but this smells like an IRQ conflict. I have no prior experience with the PCIe bus (I'm an old-timer), so I don't know how IRQs come into play with PCIe; I know they are supposed to be hands-off, automatic configuration.

I realize this may be a problem with the ASUS components, and I also have tech support requests on that side. Also, please don't ask what drivers I'm using or what the card's firmware is. If you read my post, you will know that I am unable to boot the system due to no disks being detected.

System specs:
    ASUS Z8PE-D12X mobo (BIOS 0505 = most current)
    Xeon E5520 CPU (only 1)
    12GB OCZ DDR3 (non-ECC) RAM
    ASUS PIKE 1068E SAS RAID adapter
    (2) Fujitsu MBA3147RC drives in RAID1
    ASUS MIO-888 audio card
    Gigabyte GV-N250OC-1GI Rev. 2.0 video card (nVidia GTS250)

Default Re: GTS250 video card conflicts with RAID adapter-->won't boot

It may be a long shot, but some people using the Dell PERC SAS cards have had to put a piece of tape over the SMBUS pins on the pcie connector to be able to boot correctly. I think its pins B5 and B6 from memory. Might be worth a try.
    Rackmounted Liquid Rocks!!!
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.41GHz w/
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Gigabyte X58A-UD7
    6Gb G.Skill Trident 3 x 2Gb DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24
    2x HD5850 - 1000MHz core, 1250MHz RAM
    w/ EK full cover waterblocks
    Laing D5 vario / EK X-TOP rev. 2
    2x XSPC RX360 rad w/ 6 x Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
    3 x Seagate 7200.11 160Gb in RAID-0
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb
    Corsair HX-850 Modular PSU
    M-Audio ProFire 2626
    Antec 4U Rackmount Case

try to cheak the card on other computer or upgrade bios of the card

Quote Originally Posted by gasan View Post
    try to cheak the card on other computer or upgrade bios of the card
    1. I have no other computers with a PCIe bus. Keep in mind that the video card does output a signal, as I can see the POST messages during the partial bootup before it hangs at the disk error.

2. How do you propose I update the BIOS of the card if I can't get a bootable system?

Quote Originally Posted by R3alsp33dy0ne View Post
    It may be a long shot, but some people using the Dell PERC SAS cards have had to put a piece of tape over the SMBUS pins on the pcie connector to be able to boot correctly. I think its pins B5 and B6 from memory. Might be worth a try.
    Are you talking about covering up some of the wafer pins on the card before inserting it? Which card- the video card or the SAS card? The pinout on the SAS card is not standard PCIe-- it is a proprietary ASUS socket that still uses the PCIe bus-- so even if I were willing to do this, I wouldn't know what the pinout is.

I'm sorry, but covering up pins in a brand new Nehalem server is too much of a duct-tape solution for my taste.

Those LSI cards are finicky beasts.

So gone are the days of reserving an IRQ for video. However, the system should dump the interrupt list on boot and you can see if the host is sharing between the two. It's perfectly fine in todays world, but it will come with a performance hit.

That said there are several issues I've encountered with LSI chipsets and most of the issues tend to be smoothed out with the latest firmware. (Not necessarily fixed, but a bit easier to swallow.) The Perc boot bugs I have seen first hand. (I get to see a lot of strange things).

So if you have no alternate PCIe solutions and no friends with PCIe ports you will probably be forced to initiate an RMA. If the firmware update fails this would be the alternate solution as well.

If you have any legacy PCI video cards that might be used as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cylix View Post
    So if you have no alternate PCIe solutions and no friends with PCIe ports you will probably be forced to initiate an RMA. If the firmware update fails this would be the alternate solution as well.

If you have any legacy PCI video cards that might be used as well.
    1. RMA on what? The video card or the RAID card? The RAID card works fine without trying to use the video card. Unfortunately, I have no recourse at Newegg to return the video card. I'm stuck with it. As for the RAID card, I think I need to learn Mandarin before I can get any kind of answer from the ASUS folks.

2. I have ISA, MCA, and AGP video cards lying about. But no PCI, PCI-X, or PCIe adapters!

Reggie is offline Junior Member

BIOS Setup Utility
    Advanced
    Advanced PCI/PnP Settings

Plug and Play O/S [NO] default setting
    When set to No the BIOS configures all the devices in the system. When set to [Yes], the operating system configures the Plug and Play devices not required for boot.

Setting the plug and play BIOS option (PNP OS) in CMOS Setup

PNP OS set to Yes
    The BIOS configures only critical devices (for example, video, hard-disk, and key- Board).

PNP OS set to No
    The BIOS configures critical devices and all motherboard devices under the assumption that Windows cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    BIOS Setup Utility
    Advanced
    Advanced PCI/PnP Settings

Plug and Play O/S [NO] default setting
    When set to No the BIOS configures all the devices in the system. When set to [Yes], the operating system configures the Plug and Play devices not required for boot.

Setting the plug and play BIOS option (PNP OS) in CMOS Setup

PNP OS set to Yes
    The BIOS configures only critical devices (for example, video, hard-disk, and key- Board).

PNP OS set to No
    The BIOS configures critical devices and all motherboard devices under the assumption that Windows cannot.
    I have tried both settings, with no difference in results.

The controller was downgraded from version 10.x or greater to 6.x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information