Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

Default Re: Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

Just out of interest.... what is the power output of your PSU?
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 f9m bios. Intel i7 920 DO
    6GB Patriot Viper DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600Mhz)
    Corsair HX 750W. Noctura NH-U12P SE1366.
    C: Crucial M225 128GB SSD
    D: 2 x Samsung F3 500GB Raid 1
    Sapphire HD5850. Lian Li PC-B71B
    Windows 764 Pro

Default Re: Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

It's an Enermax 625W MED625AWT.

One of my next questions was going to be addressing clyix's post...how would I test the voltages on the PSU?

One thing I would say regarding power...the problem doesn't generally occur when the machine is under heavy load, it can happen when I'm not doing anything really strenious - such as Photoshop work, the real power drain the 8800GTX isn't really being used at that point.
    Last edited by The Big Cheese; 01-04-2010 at 03:35 AM.

GSmartControl INFO

GSmartControl can't see either my Samsung F3s or Western Digital Green 1.5TBs!

I thought my drives were setup as:
    Blue SATA slots
    C - Boot Crucial SSD
    D - LG Blu-Ray read/writer
    E - Samsung F3 1TB
    F - Samsung F3 1TB
    G - Western Digital Green 1.5TB
    H - Western Digital Green 1.5TB
    White SATS slots
    I - Samsung F1 1TB
    J - Samsung F1 1TB
    K - Samsung F1 1TB
    L - Samsung F1 1TB

As you can see from the screen shots below, I was wrong with the setup, my apologies for any confusion I have caused.

I have included all the BIOS screens and POST screen below, hopefully someone can spot if something is as it shouldn't be!
    Standard CMOS Features

Advanced BIOS Features

Intergrated Peripherals

Power Management Features

PC Health Status

Post Screen

Please note that in both the BIOS and POST IDE Channel 5 master and slave are both showing as empty when they have drives plugged into them...I can't explain that!

I have just found a post on these forums from another user some months ago who was having similar problems.

I have installed the JMicron driver that he linked to and it does seem to have changed things...I don't know whether the drivers are still corrupting until it spontaniously happens but...

After installing the drivers and I rebooted my PC each of the four drives - x2 F3 1TB, x2 WD 1.5TB drives were scanned by Windows like I had just plugged in an external HDD.

I now have the option of turning them off via the safely remove hardware button, which is quite strange.

Should they be doing this?

flyfisher is offline Member

I would put your optical drive on blue port 5 (assuming ports are 0-5), your SSD on port 0. Start adding drives one by one to the blue ports, boot and see if they are detected in the BIOS. You may have a bad SATA cable or two. If it's not detected change the cable and try again. It will take some work to check them all, lots of reboots, but it's the only way to narrow down what's wrong instead of a shotgun approach.

Thanks for the advice!
    I will change the DVD round, am I limiting the speeds of them having them plugged where they are then?

If it's a dodgy SATA cable can that cause the problems I have described then? It does detect all the drives, just not all of the time...

flyfisher is offline Member

Opticals should always go on the last two Intel ports, 4-5. Notice in the BIOS that you can enable native mode for ports 0-3? That is where you want your HDDs. Maybe a cable is working intermittently. As far as the Logitech problem, I had the same thing but using the PS/2 adapter worked. I also got it to work by unplugging the receiver's USB connector and reinserting it while in the QFlash screen. Then the keyboard worked. But that was a pita so I just used the PS/2 adapter.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 01-04-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Aye I do see native mode, I didn't realise what it did though.

Thanks for the tip!

Native mode controlls who is "boss" when it comes to IRQ's for your SATA ports. In Legacy, the BIOS sets them fixed and in Native the OS sets them dynamically.

I completely agree about the port positions of your opticals. I have done the same thing, Optical on last port (Port 5) followed by my two RAID SSD's on ports 0 and 1, skip a port as I'm adding a third SSD soon, then my WD 6400AAKS on port 3.

If you are having trouble with reading smart info, give Crystal Disk Info a try. I have read Samsung Spinpoint drives (both F1 1TB and F3 1TB/500GB OK with this program. Note that you must not take to heart any SMART data reported by your SSD. Indilinx drives especially are notorious for outputting random and confusing SMART data, strangely Intel SSD's are the opposite, with perfect SMART logging for retired blocks, erase count etc.

You do have a heck of a lot of storage there. Have you considdered adding a little SB voltage to help keep things stable? It seems to me that if a folder is being reported as corrupt, and can be fixed by a reboot then the data is getting altered for the worse while in transit, rather than how it's stored on the drive itself. As you will know, this corruption could occur on its way from the drive to the RAM or while actually in RAM, making your RAM also a slight suspect in this.

I'd definitely also give the other advice posted here like swapping SATA cables etc. The Gigabyte ones (Yellow) tend to be good, very good. Some of the cheaper ones and even some so called premium cables may possibly have lower than spec shielding etc. Adjusting cables so they don't touch sources of interference etc is also wise.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

That is completely guessing as to the corruption issues.

This is why I wanted the smart data.

If he was experiencing corruption due to low voltage signals (not likely!) it would be exposed as UDMA crc errors.

I'm using AHCI mode and smart data is reporting with no issues.

My point was to verify disk integrity before making other decisions.

Move to a seperate port or a different host.

While I'm not particularly familiar with samsung smart data I can likely feel my way around based on knowledge of several other models. It is unlikely that another application can read the data if one cannot. Typically all SMART data is read the same, but it largely depends on the pass thru capabilities of the controller.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information