Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

Default Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

Hi guys

Hopefully someone can help I'm having real problems with a new system I've built.

The system is:
    Intel i7 920
    6GB Corsair DDR3
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard
    BFG 8800GTX
    Enermax PSU
    x1 Crucial SSD boot drive
    x2 Samsung F3 1TB
    X2 1.5TB Western Digital
    X4 Samsung F1 1TB
    (so many HDDs as it's a video encoding maching as well as an htpc)
    Black Gold 3500 TV Card
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

When I boot up everything is fine, but after a while, if I try to access Steam for example which is on my E drive, it may say it is inaccessible.

E drive is fine, but the games folder is apparently corrupted and unable to be accessed. Rebooting fixes this.

Up until now it has been confined to the E drive but now it has thrown up an error on F drive, and now on the G drive (which I am currently doing photoshop work on) and am rather worried as since rebooting I have been greeted with a black screen and it says

"One of your disks need to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recocer master file table from disk."

The HDD light is constantly on now and it's still at that screen so I guess that's what it's doing...it's been like it for about 15 minutes now.

I have had issues with this system before with drives not being recognised which I put down to the motherboard. Basically all the 10 SATA slots are filled but when it POSTs it doesn't show any HDDs in the last set of drives, says they are empty. They still show up in Windows so I haven't really bothered about it before now.

What I really need to know is:
    1. What could be causing either drives or certain folder within drives to become corrupted.

2. How on earth can I fix it?

3. How long is it likely to take to recover this master boot record on a 1.5TB drive? I've got Photoshop work to do tonight

Whether it is of any consequence or not I don't know but the drives that corrupt are always on the first set of six SATA ports, the blue ones.
    The white SATA ports which I believe have a different controller have always worked fine, none of the 4 1TB F1 drives attached to them have ever had a problem.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.
    <!-- / message -->
    Last edited by The Big Cheese; 01-03-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Clarification

Default Re: Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

Has anyone else had any problems with HDD configurations when using all the slots on the GA-EX58-UD5? I think that's where my problem lies.

I have my boot SSD, x1 DVD-RW, x2 1TB Samsung F3s and X2 1.5TB Western Digitals all on the first six blue SATA ports.

The second set of white SATA ports contain x4 1TB Samsung F1 drives.

All the problems I have had have been on drives connected to the blue SATA ports, there have been no issues with the drives on the four white ports.

Does this seem like something that would require the motherboard swapping or is it a quirk of the board if all the slots are filled that can be corrected easily?

I would love to hear any responses!

Many thanks.

Default Re: Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek! GA-EX58-UD5 board

have you run disk error checks on each disk in windows? right click the disk/properties/error check,have you run some memtest programs? if it has errors then it will write data to hd with errors corrupting some data
    Last edited by wazza300; 01-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The good news is ...

Hard drives are rather simple beasts.

Well, most of the time anyway.

If you are using a raid configuration this will make things a bit more complicated, but still completely doable. If you are using raid you will want to perform these checks on another host. This will require removing the target disk and temporarily installing it in another system. The key is we need a single sata port in JBOD configuration. *just a bunch of disks*. Leave your host alone while the disks are out of the system. Now, if you have no raid configuration there is no need to pluck your loving drive from it's mothers bosom.

We need to see the SMART data on your hard disks. (Ensure SMART is enabled in CMOS).

smartctl is a utility that will dump the values and here is a lovely front end.

GSmartControl - Downloads

1. Fire up gsmartctl.
    2. Right click a hard disk and select "view details"
    3. Select the "Attributes" tab
    4. Copy and save the output of each disk.

Primary pending sectors, reallocated, udma crc and uncorrectable are the fields I'm concerned with. However, the other data is sometimes useful as well.

If you have any pending or uncorrected sectors you should try to retrieve any valuable data NOW and then RMA the hard disk.

Now, hard drives can become unwieldy due to power issues. So make sure you check your voltage levels and they are within the 5% maximum tolerance levels.

I believe that should be enough for now.

Thank you both for your posts, I am getting desperate to get to the bottom of the problem now!

To answer some questions:

I did a full format (not a quick format) when I received each drive before going in each machine, I believe that would have told me if there was any errors?

The drives aren't RAIDed, they are all stand alone.

I can certainly perform the checks you have requested but a couple of questions spring to mind, and maybe I haven't been clear enough with the problem.

I wouldn't think it could be HDD errors (unless caused by some underlying cause) because:

It has affected three separate HDDs, from two different manufacturers in the same way, can it really be bad sectors on them all?

When the machine is booted from cold (shut down), everything works fine, I can access all the drives and all the data.

But if the drive is, for example, woken up from sleep, or went into power save and comes back I may not be able to access a certain folder on the drive, such as my Steam folder in drive E, it says it can't find it, or it is corrupted and unreadable...if I reboot the machine, I can then access the folder with no issue, which doesn't ring true with a bad sector.

Sometimes it happens with a folder on the drive, or as last night, the whole drive!

Sometimes when Windows 7 boots, before the desktop is loaded it will do a disk check (black screen white text) to verify and check the disk contents before loading the desktop.

Again, I would welcome your thoughts!
    Last edited by The Big Cheese; 01-04-2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Corrected a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cheese View Post
    Thank you both for your posts, I am getting desperate to get to the bottom of the problem now!

To answer some questions:

I did a full format (not a quick format) when I received each drive before going in each machine, I believe that would have told me if there was any errors?

The drives aren't RAIDed, they are all stand alone.

I can certainly perform the checks you have requested but a couple of questions spring to mind, and maybe I haven't been clear enough with the problem.

I wouldn't think it could be HDD errors (unless caused by some underlying cause) because:

It has affected three separate HDDs, from two different manufacturers in the same way, can it really be bad sectors on them all?

When the machine is booted from cold (shut down), everything works fine, I can access all the drives and all the data.

But if the drive is, for example, woken up from sleep, or went into power save and comes back I may not be able to access a certain folder on the drive, such as my Steam folder in drive E, it says it can't find it, or it is corrupted and unreadable...if I reboot the machine, I can then access the folder with no issue, which doesn't ring true with a bad sector.

Sometimes it happens with a folder on the drive, or as last night, the whole drive!

Sometimes when Windows 7 boots, before the desktop is loaded it will do a disk check (black screen white text) to verify and check the disk contents before loading the desktop.

At no time has this happened with the drives on the white set of SATA slots though, always the drives on the blue, which makes me think it is a problem there.

Again, I would welcome your thoughts!
    regarding sleep resume have you updated to the latest bios? as this has fixed most problems with sleep resume...also i would update your chipset drivers
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't updated the BIOS!

I think I am on the latest chipset drivers though...is there an easy way of updating the BIOS? I don't want to risk killing the board!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cheese View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't updated the BIOS!

I think I am on the latest chipset drivers though...is there an easy way of updating the BIOS? I don't want to risk killing the board!

Thanks!
    use qflash to flash the bios,either use a floppy disk or a usb stick in fat32,drag the bin bios file to the stick and press end at splash screen,follow onscreen prompts
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

*small problem*
    Unfortunately as I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse I don't seem to be able to nagivate the QFlash menu.

It's a bit strange as the keyboard will work in the BIOS and will enter the QFlash utility but I can't nagivate round it when I get into it....any ideas?

The keyboard receiver does have a PS2 connector on it, I've tried that as well but to no avail. :(

I have included screen shots etc. of the problems on page 2.

Questions had been posted and I was reverting to a previous post to put more info in which is just daft on a forum! Sorry for any confusion. I have some updated information on page 2.
    Last edited by The Big Cheese; 01-04-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Adding more details and screenshots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information