Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H won't boot

Default New Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H won't boot

Hi!
    I saw another post on here from a couple of months ago about this same mobo but apparently the out of box start up did the trick for him. I've been trying to get things figured out for almost 3 hours so ready for a little bit of brain power...

I have a brand new setup I asked for during Christmas...

It's the mobo, Corsair DDR2 Memory (dual channel), Phenom II CPU (heka - 705e), Antec 550w PS and a bluray drive. I've got it setup on my desk with nothing but the RAM, CPU, hard drive and power supply connected to the board and still no luck with boot/post.

I've removed the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and added it back hoping that did the trick but no luck...

I've swapped around the RAM, double checked how they are inserted for 4 banks on the board...still no luck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! This is my new HTPC and I'd be happy to just see some video for BIOS right now.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H won't boot

tried just a single stick of ram ?
    take it you have plugged in the 4/8 pin 12 volt power connector ? (loads don't have to ask)

do you get anything at all fans anything ?

Hi sniperdude -

Can't use a single stick of RAM because of dual channel reqs but honestly I tried to even make the board beep with no RAM and just nothing!?
    I even read where sometimes the board doesn't have onboard speaker so I plugged in a speaker to hear just in case...nothing.

As for the power connector I have both the 8 Pin and the 24 Pin connected.

Here's the crazy part that is confusing me - I was crazy and thought this would work at first shot. I got everything in the beautiful Antec fusion black case and all the connectors I double checked. EVERYTHING lit up - LCD, power button, LG bluray drive opened and hard drive was humming...just no video and no beeps to indicate an issue. Even the 2 120mm fans on the case were humming away. So I think the PSU is good to go? I will admit that the CPU fan was annoying to get in place and once it even pulled up and the CPU was moving around underneath. I did however get the couple of bent pins back in line with a credit card trick I found. I'm just not sure I may have wrecked it??

You will want to remove the heatsink and fan and cpu clean all the old thermal paste or compound off and double-check the pins. This is more than likely the no video issue. Carefully reinstall. When you have a no P.O.S.T. You will want to remove the motherboard from the case and perform a P.O.S.T. bench test to it.
    Instructions as follows.
    Please follow the following simple steps.
    1. Remove the motherboard from the case and any trays or chassies.
    2. Place the motherboard on top of the cardboard box (you can use the motherboard box)
    3. Install a good CPU, CPU fan, good Memory, a good Power supply plugs (plug the 1 X 20 pin and 1 X 4 or 2 X 8 pin from the power supply unit) and a good working video card.
    4. Hook the monitor to the video card and be sure the monitor is switched on.
    5. Install the front panel wires as your motherboard manual suggest negative side as white wires. Turn on the system board by using the case "Power on" switch.
    6. If the system fails to POST, check the components' insertion again to ensure they are all connected properly. If no P.O.S.T.
    Then RMA. This may save you some time and S&H charges if it is a short from the case. This is a known fix and happens at times.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-04-2010 at 02:12 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Yeah I pulled it out and setup on the cardbox, cleaned the CPU, etc. I honestly probably invested about 5 hours yesterday and started from scratch a few times. The pins aren't bent and the CPU goes into the slot easy but honestly I'm just curious how much you can screw around with it before it's damaged. I've never dealt with an AMD proc before but tons of experience with Intel ones...also its an onboard video setup.
    The crappy part is that I got this stuff for Christmas but missed the RMA period by about 3 days now...so my biggest deal is trying to figure out if I should work with Gigabyte to replace the mobo or buy a new processor to see if that heals the issue...no matter how it goes I'm pretty sure that it's one or the other.

don't know where but am sure that the retailer is still responsible so soon after buying it
    i would send what ever your going to send back to the retailer not to gigabyte

i would try another psu first just incase

Bought from NewEgg and they don't even give the option of returning after the 30 day invoice period.

I could try another PSU but I'm fairly certain it's good - its an ANTEC trupower 550watt and everything else fired up with power except the actual mobo - could that happen even if the PSU was bad??

You could spend allot of money trying other parts if you don't have them on hand. You should try other parts with that motherboard instead of the parts on another motherboard. It's a shame you don't have another pcie graphics solution just to eliminate it being onboard graphics. I believe a repair shop may be your best option.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

I just purchased the same board. Have the exact same problem. I purchased diferent ram just in case still there. The only thing that comes on is the fan combination of and if I hold the power button for 5 seconds it will power down. I have tried every combination of setups. It will not boot and nothing happen. If you figure it out let me know I am returning it tomorrow am.

Have you tried using the jumper method when clearing cmos? I have provided a pdf file with your motherboard manual. Please give it time to download. Go to page 33 or chapter 19 of your motherboard manual and use the clear cmos with the jumper. http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/m...-ud(s)2h_e.pdf
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W